TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

VIDEO - Locked Out of Trunk? How To Override the Lock Mechanisms

Old 09-21-2020, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VIDEO - Locked Out of Trunk? How To Override the Lock Mechanisms

There’s a grey metal barrier on the left side too. Cannot see a thing. When I put my fingers in both square holes a feel inwards it feels like there’s been a metal shaped piece put in to stop anyone getting access to the areas to open the boot/trunk.

Old 09-21-2020, 04:35 PM

Also yes the handle feels loose. Like it is not engaged

Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Starlitelimos
Also yes the handle feels loose. Like it is not engaged
If the handle is lose then it is the pneumatic pawl. Are your door locks working? Based on my video look at the pawl location, and drill a hole in the metal barrier so you can engage the pawl

Old 09-23-2020, 03:10 AM

First of all thank you very much for your assistance. The complete central locking system doesn’t work. I open the drivers door with the key and get in and reach over to manually open the passenger door. I’ll get a drill and drill a hike like you say. Start with a pilot hole then get a bigger drill bit abs make the hole as big as I can. Hopefully won’t do any damage be as careful as possible. Do you think I’ll get in from the left side hole or the right? Thank you

Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 AM

OK, now that we have all the information it sounds like the pneumatic locking system has failed completely. There is a thread about this with fuses to check etc, so you may want to check it out, If you just want to get the trunk open at this point, go in through the left side. You will need to push the pawl towards the right to engage the trunk lever. It doesn't take much force at all, and it is the normal locking mechanism. When it's disengaged you get the floppy handle and the trunk will not open. Once engaged, the trunk will open.

Best of luck.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdultra
OK, Here it is. A video covering how to override the pneumatic trunk lock for Coupes and Roadsters, and how to override the electronic lock for Roadsters only. I even added in a piece on the Emergency Release cable with proof that you cannot override the electronic lock with the Emergency handle.

https://youtu.be/GFcm_8w7f28

I am not sure if my trunk issue relates to it. Today I tried opening the trunk but the handle does not do the click when it opens. It feels like something either broke or missing. I tried with the remote close/open and it does work and the handle works different. However it does not fully engage to open!

Will I be able eitherway to open the trunk like in your video and/or what do you think is the issue here?? Handle mechanism broke? Any tips and tricks and parts?

Old 10-27-2020, 04:37 PM
Received 344 Likes on 304 Posts

Yes open it like the video and remove the plastic lock piece.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try if that works. Once done can the trunk still be locked and opened without the plastic piece?

Old 10-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by janaiy
I will try if that works. Once done can the trunk still be locked and opened without the plastic piece?
I sent you a PM to give me a shout on the phone. I made the video and it's just easier to troubleshoot these things live.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Outstanding sdultra over a year since the last post on this thread and you saved my ***, thanks.

I was removing the hydros on my rag top and when I was manually putting the bow in place it clicked in and that locked me out of the trunk. I looked all over the forum for answers everyone said go in the drivers side tag light. Then I found your post.

So if you are going to do the hydro replacement job be aware that you can get locked out of the trunk, do not put the top back in place with the trunk closed.

Old 12-19-2021, 11:46 AM

My pleasure. Glad I could help.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:35 PM
BJK

Help! Can you show how it looks before you open the trunk, the license plate light socket, to open the trunk. I took the socket out however you must stand on your head to look in the socket.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by BJK
Help! Can you show how it looks before you open the trunk, the license plate light socket, to open the trunk. I took the socket out however you must stand on your head to look in the socket.
I replied to your comment on the YouTube channel as well. With the trunk lid up or down the mechanisms inside appear the same, Tell me what issue you are having and how it started , which license plate light socket did you remove, left right or both, coupe or convertible?

Old 09-20-2022, 06:57 PM
BJK

I reviewed your video it’s great. It’s a convertible. I’m not to mechanically inclined , so I need to see how it looks with the socket out and before you open the trunk. The trunk, gas cap, riders door will not unlock. I can unlock the driver’s door with the key. I can unscrew the license plate light and take that out, once that is out how do you get the socket out? I took the right license plate light out, looking forward from the back of the car. What do you do after that? It just started about two weeks ago.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:58 PM
BJK

Is there a way I can call you?

Old 09-20-2022, 07:08 PM

Sounds like pneumatic system failure which is the first thing I cover in the video. You would need.to take out the left (driver side) license plate light socket, and simply push on the pawl to engage it and allow you to open the trunk. Right now I would guess that your trunk lock handle is floopy (offering no resistance) if you try to open the trunk. As for the drivers door and the gas cap cover their all on the same pneumatic system which you will need to get repaired.

If your not mechanical I recommend you find someone who is and shown them the video.

​​​​​​You'll need to find a mechanic to repair the pneumatics, but if you need immediate access to the trunk this will allow you to get in.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by BJK
Is there a way I can call you?
Sent you a private message

Old 03-08-2023, 08:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, Here it is. A video covering how to override the pneumatic trunk lock for Coupes and Roadsters, and how to override the electronic lock for Roadsters only. I even added in a piece on the Emergency Release cable with proof that you cannot override the electronic lock with the Emergency handle.

https://youtu.be/GFcm_8w7f28

Great video but my 2004 UK has a plate each side of the latch to stop you doing this. I very much wish it didn’t…

Old 03-08-2023, 03:58 PM

I remember another comment from a UK vehicle owner running into a metal plate. I can't shed any light on this because I don't know if there is a difference in the country models or if it was just a 2004 issue.
Do you own a Roadster or Coupe? What is the issue you're having?

​​​​​

Old 03-09-2023, 03:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember another comment from a UK vehicle owner running into a metal plate. I can't shed any light on this because I don't know if there is a difference in the country models or if it was just a 2004 issue.
Do you own a Roadster or Coupe? What is the issue you're having?

​​​​​
This is the car:

Quick Reply: VIDEO - Locked Out of Trunk? How To Override the Lock Mechanisms