TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Headlamps

Old 06-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Headlamps

New Member, but after researching this site I decided to try the Meguiar's Plastx on my '04 Limited Coupe headlamp lenses that were fogged at the top. Luckily for me, it worked! Thanks CrossfireForum.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my head lamps. The engine compartment is still hot from a drive around town... This is more then a fog problem it is a safety issue...

Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM

It's been more than two months and we've had quite a bit of rain since the headlights were replaced. They are holding up fine.

I tried PlastX on my Mustang and it did a good job.

John

Last edited by JCM298; 07-29-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Headlamps

Originally Posted by FirebaseD
Here are my head lamps. The engine compartment is still hot from a drive around town... This is more then a fog problem it is a safety issue...

Firebase...is that on the outside or is it condensation on the inside? If it is condensation there is a TSB for replacement. I have had my headlamps replaced twice, first the dealer did the TSB fix and the condensation returned, then they just replaced both head lamp units under warranty and I have not had a problem since.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Firebase, I'm taking mine in for headlamp replacement on the 4th of august. Patpur came over recently and we cleaned the lamp covers with 3M polisher and there hasn't been a problem since. However, there is flaking on the inside of my lens (NO condensation though). I'll let you know how this comes out.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Forum Regular

CrossfireLTD - condensation is on the inside of the covers.

Sennaspirit - Let me know how it comes out with your headlamp covers. I'm talking to my Chrysler SM but he seems kinda out of touch, I'm e-mailing him the photos...

Old 07-31-2006, 03:52 PM

FirebaseD,

Two weeks ago, I called the service writer assigned to me when we bought my wife's Crossfire in Nov `04 to find out what kind of brake fluid to use. He said he "thinks" it'll take any brake fluid. On another occasion, while dropping it off for an oil change, I told him to replace the air filter. He stated that he'd never had an air filter replaced on a Crossfire.

I went to MB and got the correct fluid. I asked if they could service the Crossfire there instead of having to use a Chrysler dealer. I was told that MB, here in Tucson, will not work on Crossfires.

John

Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by FirebaseD

a few questions:

were your headlights turned on?

do you ever use automatic car washes?

how large are the water droplets inside the lens - larger or small than 1mm?

Last edited by Rob M; 07-31-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rob M
a few questions:

were your headlights turned on?

do you ever use automatic car washes?

how large are the water droplets inside the lens - larger or small than 1mm?
Rob M never ask me that question again... I'll find where you live and I'll come directly to your home and spray liquid wax on your Crossfire if you do... hooah

The condensation was to the inside of the covers, it was a mix of haze, fog, and droplets of varying sizes. After allowing to sit for several mins and discontinuing the water spray, the water inside the cover disappeared, clearing up completely, all but for the haze on the outside of the cover (which has nothing to do with the water collecting to the inside of the cover).

Last edited by FirebaseD; 08-01-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM

I won't ask again, LOL. Just trying to see if water was getting in there due to high pressure washes.

These headlamp assemblies are designed with vents so some condensation is perfectly normal. The headlamp has to be able to dissipate the heat created by the bulbs. If the headlamp was sealed it would require that the lenses expand and contract each time the lights were turned on and off. I can see it being a problem if the condensation is persistent and remains even after the headlights are on for several minutes. But in humid areas it is reasonable to assume that condensation may form overnight when the air cools and the dew point is reached. It really isn't any different than when the inside of your windshield fogs on a cold morning before the defroster warms.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My warranty has just expired...will the dealer replace my headlights because they are fogging-up? Condensation is on the INSIDE of the headlight covers.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Default Re: Headlamps: Bug in there

I have a small moth in my left 2004 headlight. Does anyone know if bulb assembly can be removed from back to vacuum it out? Figured I could rig up a tube to the vacuum cleaner if I can get it in there. Maybe its a German moth from the factory (or wherever they're made)? The Walmart "Crystal" kit cleared up my exterior fogging at the top of lenses, but kind of expensive at $20. I just ordered the Maguire's for future use.

- Brent
2005 SRT Coupe- Black
2004 Coupe - Black
2004 Coupe - Slate (sold)

Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Cool Re: Headlamps

Originally Posted by golfdude
My warranty has just expired...will the dealer replace my headlights because they are fogging-up? Condensation is on the INSIDE of the headlight covers.
Its doubtful, unless you have a good repoire with your dealer...give it a try.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by JCM298
FirebaseD,

I went to MB and got the correct fluid. I asked if they could service the Crossfire there instead of having to use a Chrysler dealer. I was told that MB, here in Tucson, will not work on Crossfires.
Did they tell you why not? I presume you were asking for non-warranty work. If that's the case, they really sound like snotty arrogant MBastards.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

i had 2 new headlight replaced , for the issue outside.
it rained today and i did notice some lite condensation
on my also .. i took pic'd will see if my dealer will check it out
my car is still under warranty if it really get's worse i'll let them replace again