TSBs and How-To Articles This is for information on Technical Service Bulletins and for posting How-To Articles.

Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Old 07-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds

Originally Posted by raulito11
Dropped of my xfire last night at the dealership...printed them the invoice and the other documents, no questions asked by them...so far so good and I even got a loaner as well. I thought that they were going to give me a hard time about this since they said it was a characteristic of the xfire the last time they checked it out. Hopefully I have an updated from them and post it here later.
Yeah i hope they do... but ironically my XF has done it 3 times since they repaired it... 200 miles since repair!! at that notorious RPM level ... the droning... however ,this time it is very subtle almost like a whisper compared to the original.

I have noticed it occurs ONLY when i am in 3rd/autostix-mode on VERY gentle acceleration... the XF drags/lags/bogs for a fraction of a second... then it engages normally...

j

Old 07-13-2006, 09:33 AM
raulito11

Got my xfire back...nothing was done about the vibrations, service dept. stated that the car is fine even though I explained and gave them documentation about the transmission module...think I'm going to hang the towel on this one, car drives great and I guess that's why there are warranties. But to be honest I wouldn't of ever bought this car if I new about the vibrations...I think that my next step will be legal action...what do you guyz think?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Forum Regular

Got my xfire back...nothing was done about the vibrations, service dept. stated that the car is fine even though I explained and gave them documentation about the transmission module...think I'm going to hang the towel on this one, car drives great and I guess that's why there are warranties. But to be honest I wouldn't of ever bought this car if I new about the vibrations...I think that my next step will be legal action...what do you guyz think?
the MB slk owners who share the same problem... go through the same thing as us... if it is infrequent where they can't replicate... they won't repair!!!

hang in there.... come on, the good doesn't out weigh the bad of the crossfire?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mjanowich
Anyone else have this happen to them:
When cruising around 30-35 mph, in Auto, sometimes when I press very slightly on the gas pedal, the whole car will start to vibrate like I'm driving over rumble strips. The pitch of the vibration will increase as I give it more gas until it goes away, somewhere around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm. This never happens at higher speeds. It seems to happen more when I'm in slow traffic, I break lightly and then give it a little gas. I've got an appointment set up for Monday morning. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago.
mjanowich

I am actually a 06 Dodge Charger 5.7 RT owner and I am having this exact same problem with my vehicle to the T, I have had it to the dealer 3 times and have had 2 torque converters replaced and I am still getting the shudder under light acceleration between 20 and 43 mph, occurs alot in freeway traffic as I live on LA CA. My question is does your car have the NAG1 transmission like mine? This is the MB tranny that is only used on the Hemi equiped chargers, 300's and magnums. I am at the point now where I think it is the MDS engaging or a tranny issue, Basically the fix of the "transmission module" is what I am hoping is my answer, any info will be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM

NONE OF THIS ISSUE WITH TRANNY 19,000 MILES IN GARAGE FOR WINTER.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Mine started doing this last week. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I have a 2004 automatic coupe with 56K miles. The vibration is bad and it jerks when changing from 1st to 2nd. It smooths out once I get over 40mph. I hope they can fix it. I will keep you posted.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Received 535 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by kingzno
mjanowich

I am actually a 06 Dodge Charger 5.7 RT owner and I am having this exact same problem with my vehicle to the T, I have had it to the dealer 3 times and have had 2 torque converters replaced and I am still getting the shudder under light acceleration between 20 and 43 mph, occurs alot in freeway traffic as I live on LA CA. My question is does your car have the NAG1 transmission like mine? This is the MB tranny that is only used on the Hemi equiped chargers, 300's and magnums. I am at the point now where I think it is the MDS engaging or a tranny issue, Basically the fix of the "transmission module" is what I am hoping is my answer, any info will be appreciated.
The Dodge Charger AutoShift tranny is essentially the same design as in our XFires. Might even be the same family of tranny's. If symptons are similar, then the fix is probably the same.

My XFire has only 4k on the Odo, but I haven't really noticed this issue yet. Haven't really paid that much attention. But I'm going to take her out this weekend and see if it is occurring.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Yes my car has been at the dealership since 4/20/09. I got it back on Friday (5/1/09). They told me the torque convertor had burned out and they replaced it. They also said they had to rebuild the transmission. Well when I picked it up on Friday morning, it was in worst condition than when I dropped it off. It started vibrating before I even went 1 mile and then I had new rattling noises in the front and back once I went over 50mph. On my way back to the dealership the check engine light came on. Well needless to say I expressed my opinions to the service manager and everyone else in a 1 mile radius. My car is still at the dealership as of today. I will keep you posted on what happens. Let me know how your situation works out. Thank God I only had to pay the $100 deductible on the warranty. How many miles do you have on your croosfire? I am at 56K. They also told me that this is the 1st time they have seen a problem with a crossfire transmission.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Well I took them the workorder that was posted on thiis thread and they have ordered a transmission module. Let's see if that works because I miss my XF.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Went to check on my car today and there were no cars on the lot. The dealership is closing. They said that the transmission module is finally programmed after 5 tries from Chrysler, but now my O2 sensors need to be replaced. Thank God they gave me a rental. However, I still miss my Xfire. They said the service department will be opened until the 29th. I will keep you posted.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM

I recently bought my Crossfire '04 with 32Kauto. I noticed the rumble but thought it was the lousy streets here. However after it happened on good streets I know its more. Interestingly, I had the same thing occur on an Allison transmission although it would shudderand sometime bang and not drone. Driveline was out of phase and torque converter was replaced.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting droning at low speeds and a bump after shifting into second, also torque converter seems to lock and unlock randomly under cruising conditions. I thought it was the aftereffects of exceeding the recommended torque the tranny is rated at. But now I'm 99% sure it is an electronic problem with the TCM because sometimes it drives perfect. Just hit 36k 04 limited

Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Forum Regular

Dealership was able to duplicate and stated that there is nothing that they can do about fixing it...a characteristic of the car.
Bullshit! That's a poor excuse on their part. I have been driving mine since 2005 now without any problems until recently at 35k. It sounds like I am driving over rumble strips at a low rpm. Not all the time. Recently I was using the auto stick to downshift. If it was the nature of the car to do this, then why wasn't it happening before this.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Forum Regular

has anyone figured out the issue? I'm having the same issues and Chrysler has said they have no idea. Need some arsenal to take with me when I go back. Thanks.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular

This has been a very interesting read. It would be even more interesting to know "the rest of the story."

Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read another thread about this being a known MB transmission issue, not sure if it was here or an MB forum.
Something about the tranny shifting back and forth between 1st and 2nd gear very quickly. It is supposed to be normal, no damage done.
Mine does the same thing every day on the way to work at the same place. If I have it in winter mode, no first gear, it does not happen.
So it kind of makes sense to me.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by drcarr43
Yes my car has been at the dealership since 4/20/09. I got it back on Friday (5/1/09). They told me the torque convertor had burned out and they replaced it. They also said they had to rebuild the transmission. Well when I picked it up on Friday morning, it was in worst condition than when I dropped it off. It started vibrating before I even went 1 mile and then I had new rattling noises in the front and back once I went over 50mph. On my way back to the dealership the check engine light came on. Well needless to say I expressed my opinions to the service manager and everyone else in a 1 mile radius. My car is still at the dealership as of today. I will keep you posted on what happens. Let me know how your situation works out. Thank God I only had to pay the $100 deductible on the warranty. How many miles do you have on your croosfire? I am at 56K. They also told me that this is the 1st time they have seen a problem with a crossfire transmission.
My xfire has 65k on it. Vibrating like crazy in some gears, hard shifts, dying at stops. They told me my torque converter came apart, parts got into the valve bodies and all that crap. Its at the dealership now, 500 miles out of warranty, they want $8k to fix it, if the trans is bad they want an addition $12k. 20K!!!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

Ouch! It sounds like it might be time to buy a lower mileage XF maybe, even an SRT-6 and keep your current ride as a backup for some project.

I can't even see a stealership having the cojones to tell you it's a $20k fix and not offer alternatives to you!!

Let us know what happens, inquiring minds want to know!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 PM

I sent them a few of the messages in this thread about the tranny control module, they seemed a little upset that I was second guessing them but I told them there is no way im gonna put 10k into a car I paid 8500 for.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 551 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 818.crossfire
My xfire has 65k on it. Vibrating like crazy in some gears, hard shifts, dying at stops. They told me my torque converter came apart, parts got into the valve bodies and all that crap. Its at the dealership now, 500 miles out of warranty, they want $8k to fix it, if the trans is bad they want an addition $12k. 20K!!!
They may lead you by the nose into the showroom and sit you down with a friendly salesman, sell you a car, fix your old one for a thou and you both come out happy.
You with a new 300 and glad to see the last of that Crossfire that was getting awfully expensive to maintain. They will be glad they made a lot of money by selling two cars, one to a sucker.

Get it fixed somewhere else, fitting a used tranny in it if required.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-11-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Autostick Transmission vibration at low speeds