U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

UK cleaning products

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK cleaning products

Hi all.. again...

Sorry can't stop myself im getting adidcted to this car and I really want to keep it in good condition. My car isn't garaged but I dont think sunlight is too much of a problem here !!! What products does everyone use to clean wax protect their car, wheels interior. I've washed her once with an autoglym shampooo with a built in protector. This is my first nice car and I'd like to know the procedure for a complete washdown to shampoo'ing waxing , alloy protection, looking after the trim, leather, engine cleaning the works, any thing you can all think of.

thanks again, everyones help is appreciated

Jamie

Old 08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: UK cleaning products

Welcome!

I would suggest first reading the Sticky at the head of the Deyail Shop forum for the "How To" bit, and them find a euro or anglo-based detailing forum to find products that are avilable in the UK. (And that other forum members recommend).

Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Forum Regular

Hi my name is Andy & i have not washed my Crossfire for 6 days ,

Sorry i was thinking i was still at my CCA meeting , Ok now your Xfire has got under your skin ( join the club ) with cleaning & looking after your Xfire it will depend on how much spare time you have & what standard your happy with , If you start looking at the detailing sites on the web your never have time to drive the car . So here is a link to start you off
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

And may your family forgive me for my sins

Cheers

Andy

Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 AM

"Hi my name is Andy & i have not washed my Crossfire for 6 days"

hahahaha, aah that made me laugh,

cheers for the links Andy, there goes the weekend!!!

Jamie

Old 08-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Hi I think you are on the right track with Autoglym.

I have used super resin polish followed by Extra Gloss Protection on my Mercs Audis and BMW's over the last 10 years and maintain it with the shampoo you are using.

Wash the car. Clean it all over with white spirit when dry.then Super Resin polish followed up by Extra Gloss protection. A dry overcast day is best and go easy with polish you only need a little. I do mine Oct/ Nov and April/ May. Twice a year. If there is loads of salt about in winter just wash and reapply EGP in Feb.

The EGP is strange stuff like petrol. leave on as long as poss before buffing. I find a cotton cloth to buff off then a a good piece of silk really does the trick ( check out oxfam shop for a cheap silk item off the womens clothing rail but dont tell your mates!

Good luck

Grant)

Old 08-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Hi Jamie
I must admit I used to be a Autoglym enthusiast (used it on all my cars over the last 12 years) but have found Meguiars is the way to go with black, I use the three part system takes a while but wow what a difference! Using the detailer inbetween waxes is very impressive as well
Just trying rim wax on the wheels for the first time only a week so far but they look good so far and thats with the rubbish weather we are having and a couple of hundred miles.
Steve

Old 08-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Grant, Steve,

Thanks for the response, I ended up picking up an autoglym pack from halfords will be doing the whole clean down washing waxing this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out and may post a few piccys.
Grant you mentioned white spirit!!! doesnt this dissolve wax and paint?

What do you guys use for the interior?

Steve what do you mean rubbish weather thats like saying you dont like warm beer?

Got a few other projects in the pipe line aswell, I'm having the centre console / dash painted areo blue to match the outside and currently working on the sound system. I installed a kenwood KDC-BT8041U today after getting 2 faulty sony units (steer clear of their BT MEX-BT range if my experience has anything to go by), I'll be ripping the amp out as well to have a proper look and maybe replacing with something that takes a true line level)

Cheers,

Jamie

Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM

Hi again Jamie.

I only use the white spirit first time to get all the sticky stuff off and provide a good suface for the polish. Occasionally after hot weather ( no problem there this year) you may need to use just behind the tyre bodywork to remove tar splashes.

Interior I just keep clean with a duster and hoover. The Autoglym leather care is good but the manual does not reccomend treatments.

Grant

Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 AM

The important thing to remember here is that most auto leather is what is known as finished leather. It has a pigment coated surface with a clear coat finish. 'Conditioning' this type of leather is not only a waste of time but impossible. All the claims of nourishing, feeding, extracting dirt are nonsense and only a marketing ploy.

'Conditioners' especially oils and waxes cannot penetrate the finish on the leather and will only remain on the surface which will actually attract more dirt which is what you are trying to avoid.

The key to keeping leather in good 'condition' is to keep it clean. Do this by using water based cleaners on a regular basis and a leather protector which will protect the finish and inhibit its breakdown by dirt. A leather protector will also help in the cleaning process.
Dry leather requires moisture. The oils and fats which are reintroduced into the leather during the retanning process are sealed in and do not dry out or escape so do not need replacing (impossible to do anyway)

Hope this helps

Old 11-07-2008, 02:30 PM

So whats the best treatment for wear on the leather seat bolster, Ive been looking at Gliptone products.
Steve

Old 11-08-2008, 01:44 AM

Hi Jamie and Grant...If possable try and attend our UK meets, we are the only xfire owners who have regular UK gatherings. Always great fun, interesting locations, with much Xfire banter and plenty of sparkling clean Xfires, most with verious mods etc.

You can view some of the our meets and faces in the gallerys..But better still, pop alone and join us for an informal and fun filled Xmas lunch and a Xfire cruise..all the details in earlier posts..

Ken..

**Have no included leatherpro..maybe a supplier reather than an owner..but either way thanks for the usfull info.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:07 AM

With all the rain currently falling on the South Coast...my Xfire has not ventured out form the garage or had it's light weight cover removed for over three weeks, I don't like it getting wet or dusty.

I have a portable TV and coffee machine in the garage, as I spend a fair amount of time there...mind you I aslo enjoy woodworking as well.

I know I'm fanatical about about V6 A XF....but I think others Xfire owners will agree that the Xfire is a rather special car...and currently fantastic vaule as a used buy.

Ken.

DiceMan Mk II

Last edited by UK ken; 11-08-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UK ken
With all the rain currently falling on the South Coast...my Xfire has not ventured out form the garage or had it's light weight cover removed for over three weeks, I don't like it getting wet or dusty.
Mine is continually exposed to the elements - I do have a cover which goes over it when it’s not in use.

Originally Posted by UK ken
I know I'm fanatical about about V6 A XF....but I think others Xfire owners will agree that the Xfire is a rather special car...and currently fantastic vaule as a used buy.
It is a great car. It was either that or a new Skoda. For the same money I could have had a new Octavia, but I really felt that this time, I should have a car which is different. I’m shallow like that. For a long time I’ve not had that opportunity.

I starts random conversations with complete strangers. They always want to know what it is, and are fascinated by it.

It’s also good to have a car which has a support group which comes with it.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM

Paul , When I worked and lived in London..I had a 1989 Marcos Mantula Spyder (soft top) parked in the street...if it rained the drivers seat got wet! if it rained when driving I got wet! and cleaning it was always done in the street, but I just loved that Marcos and the burble of it's V8. I sort of promisted myself that one day I would have a house with a double garage for the car and a wee work shop, mind you I had to wait a fair old while.

The Xfire is certainly a head turner and conversation point, its also much more unique that a lot of two seater sport cars, and drier than a Marcos!

Cheers

Ken.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:10 AM

If your handwashing you really can't do wrong in my book. I have a black roadster and I run it through the automated car wash until clean. Normally 2 or 3 times- on a somewhat weekly basis.
Though I do not recommend this to any one-my black 05 is still like a mirror when I use the mequires 3 part system previously spoken of.
I hand wax it about every two months.
If nothing else my input may lend some insight as to the amount of durability your finish has. Mercedes grade application and paint were carried over by Diamler on the crossfire project.
My dad still has his first mercedes 71, and there were no fancy cleaning options back then. The paint is still a brilliant silver.
Use a car cover when possible-The sun will do the most damage. U.V. rays overtime attack the molecular composition of anything given a synthetec hue. That's why anything left in the sun fades. Except my girlfriend.
So relax and enjoy my good friend, that's what its all about.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular

I use my car every day and it gets dirty beyond belief with the weather we have had this year. I think there are different bodywork cleaning polishing products that work depending on how much effort you are prepared to put in.

My main problem is those huge wheels. I have changed to Rotex low disk pads. I also asked the Autoglym salesman at last years MPH show about the best way to clean wheels and he said "get somone else to do it" ! Then he did give me some tips. Personally I have changed over to autoglym products as having the best compromise for me with effort and results. Their wheel cleaner is the best I have used.

There is an autoglym guidebook you can get on ebay for a couple of quid that may have some useful tips on how to approach cleaning a car which gave me some pointers to reducing time and improving results. One tip which hadn't occured to me is to jet wash or at least use hose with a sprayer first before hand washing to ensure you don't rub the dirt particles into the paintwork. Probably obvious to most people, but there is always something to learn.

I have toyed with the idea of a car cover, but not sure about the practicalities of a daily used car and will probably chat with other owners for their experience when we next meet up.

Paul