U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to fix?

I am about to buy a Crossfire but the Spoiler does not lift and there is a red light on the button for it, also the heater fan doesnt work.

The Crossfire has over 100,000 miles on it but other than that it seems in good nick.

Are these common problems and are they easily fixed? Also is there any other problems I can expect given the high mileage?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay

Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Default Re: About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to fix?

Hi Jay, and welcome!

What year is the car you are looking at? A common problem around 5 years is the battery going bad, which can do strange things with the spoiler. In many cases a straight battery swap will resolve this. Try a search on 'spoiler problem' or similar, as there are loads of threads about this!

As for the fan, I have also had this problem. My fan stopped working too. It turned out it was just leaves and debris that had been sucked in and worked fine once cleared.

Both of these could be simple fixes, but check first, as I would imagine both a spoiler motor or a heater motor would be pretty expensive if you need to replace them!

Regards, Andy.

(P.S. I have a roadster for sale which is a really nice car, if you don't buy the other one!!)

Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Default Re: About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to fix?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for all that info, much appreciated!

Its an 04 so you might be right about the battery messing with the spoiler plus the fan may just be something simple like leaves...
The car is a great price so not the end of the world if these are the only problems with it.... Thanks for your help man.

Jay

Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Hi Andy,

Bought the Crossfire... spoiler is now working.
Just wondering how did you clear the leaves out that were blocking your fan? do I do this from the engine bay or by removing the dash?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Hi Jaybee

My fan was rubbing and making a noise when it would come on, thru doing a search on this forum I came across a link that had step by step how to remove the fan, turned out to be real easy to do! a little dremmel action and mine is now quiet.
I had a few issues but all cleared up and not a penney to the dealership thanks to this forum
So what did you end up paying for yours with 100k on it? If ya dont mind me asking!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!! 04 coupe.

cheers,Maz.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my car the spoiler wasn't working right. Dealer paid almost 700 to fix.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 AM

Hi, congrats on the car! Glad the spoiler is working. Did you change the battery? At least you know it's not the spoiler motor!!

The fan is accessed from inside the car, below the glove box. It's really easy. Get yourself in the passenger footwell and remove the two screws which hold the panel in between the carpet and the glove box. The panel should then just slide out. The fan is located behind a little door up there. Remove the electrical connector on the door, then open the two slide clips that hold the door in place. Door will drop down and reveal the fan. I think there are just two screws that hold the fan in if you want to take it out completely. Check it for debris and also check that the blades spin freely.

While you are under there you can also check the cabin filter. It's in a little rectangular door next to the fan and also held in with slide clips. Might be worth grabbing a new filter off fleabay for about 15 quid before you start, as it has probably never been changed. (Just done mine and it was black and full of leaves after 44k!)

May also be worth checking the actual air opening too. It's located under the bonnet below the plastic panel under the windscreen. Take the wiper arms off and about half a dozen screws that hold the panel in place. The air opening is on the passenger side, near the battery.

Regards, Andy.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Name:  coverattached.jpg
Views: 2722
Size:  59.0 KB

This may help - this is what you see when you take the panel off (Although this is a LHD, so it's the other way round on our cars!)

The rectangle on the left is the cabin filter. To the right, with the elecrical connection is the blower motor.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Andy you're a Gent!

I'll get a look at that over the weekend, hopefully just the leaves blocking it...

This is a stupid question to ask but a light lit up of the dash today and I cannot find what it means in the manual I downloaded (never got one with the car), I am guessing its a engine warning light but maybe could help me out??
The light had turn off tonight when I drove home but interested to find out what it is. I attached a pic and its the image on the bottom right (looks like a tap )

Oh an Maz I paid €3,000 for it including trading in the wifes C4

Attached Thumbnails About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to fix?-photo.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Forgot to say no I didnt replace the battery. Brought the car up to halfords and they tested the battery, said it was giving out 12.8 volts and had 98% start power..... so dont think its that

Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 PM

That's the 'Check Engine Light' which is triggered by absolutely anything the computer detects isn't right with the car. It can be triggered by something as small as the fuel filler cap not on properly, so if it stays off don't worry. If it persists you'll need to plug the car into a diagnostic reader which will identify exactly what the problem is. Mercedes charge just for a plug in, but many independant garages have readers and will do it for free. You can even get a diagnostic app for iphones now!!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to fix?

Hey do not disregard the baterry suggestion! If the battery has not been changed yet, DO IT! look in the tech sections or do a search for original battery. If this battery so much as Hiccups the car convulses.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 AM

Thanks again Andy, would you recommend any app in particular?

Hi Roadsterguy, I honestly have no idea if the battery has ever been changed.. but it doesnt look too old.
If it needed to be changed would this not have shown up when Halfords tested it

Having said this the car has been acting up a bit... central locking needs 2 clicks before the boot will unlock (this might be standard) also the drivers door sometimes takes 3 goes before it will close (only seems to happen when the engine is on)

I am a novice when it comes to engines, batteries and most things car related... so my apologies if some of my questions sound stupid.

Cheers guys!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 AM

Had the same problem with double clicks etc to open doors and boot...

Replacing the batteries in the remote key unit cured this for me.

Also remember to replace batteries in the second remote ..if you have one.

I found this answer and others related to my Crossfire problems, at www.ukcrossfires.co.uk worth a look..and also a great site for keeping up to date with UK xfire events..

UKKen.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double click to open pass door and bootlid is normal mine did this when i picked her up, after reading on here there is a trick to make them open on 1 click, i did it and it works but cant remember what i did will have a search and have a look

Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 AM

Chris, absolutely correct. The fob is set up as standard to only open the driver's door on the first click as a 'security feature'. Off the top of my head I think if you want to change it to open all locks with one click you press and hold both buttons.

Jay, I have an HTC phone. The diagnostic program for mine is called Torque. You do also need to pick up a bluetooth OBD sender which plugs into the car's diagnostic point. I haven't got it yet, so can't attest as to whether it's any good!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM

Hi Andy,

I think I have found the problem.... electrical connection to the blower motor was not connected.. it was hanging behind the floor mat..
Only problem now is there is no where to connect the wires to. Like in your photo I can see where the connectors go but on mine there is just the whole but nothing in it. I can even put my finger up into it and cannot feel anything.
I think I will have to open up the blower motor tomorrow... but this is very very strange

Jay

Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Hmmmm curious! My initial though was matbe the motor had somehow slipped out of place, but I seem to remember everything is pretty tight and snug, so maybe the motor has been removed. I'm sure it will be obvious when you open it up. Maybe worth having a word with the seller if you bought it privately??

Regards, Andy.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Default Re: About to buy Crossfire but Spoiler will not lift & fan is not working...Easy to f

It Worked! you guys are great. Fan did not work. Removed covers and cleaned the filter and fan. Works great, saved big. Thanks