U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

Test-drive ;) and traders :( or am I unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test-drive ;) and traders :( or am I unreasonable?

Well I went to look at a yellow 'vert today and have to admit I was disappointed by the presentantion and attitude/service of the (main) dealer.

I'll admit I turned up later than expected (I'd booked for noonish but traffic etc meant I arrived @ 12.40) but after that had to wait for 13 minutes while they looked for the key (and the sales man!!) but finally it's time.... a gorgeous yellow 'vert. I must admit I've not been sure about soft-tops in the past but in this colour I can forgive it nearly everything!!! So closer inspection reveals the usual expected age related chips etc but nothing outrageous then..... headlight covers certainly need replacing as they are "on the turn" and starting to look a little milky ither than that exterior looks fine... pop the boot and there's evidence of the dreaded bubbling but all in all nothing too bad... get into the car and the passenger side A-pillar is scraped from 1/3 way up to the top where is really doesn't look too good at all. Oh well something else to negotiate about when the dealer can finally take my details we can go off for a spin hmmm this isn't bad, top goes up and down ok (abeit nosier than I'd have expected!) get back to the dealership park-up and... well blow me if there isn't a trail of coolant leading out of the storage space up to where I've parked the car and out where I went for the drive. Staff don't seem overly concernedabout this but do check it out.... oh well let's see what we can do price-wise.

Particulars - 58k, £6,500.... NO leeway on price "we've already dropped the price by £500" when I pointed out that this was due to the price being insanely high rather than just stupidly high I was told that "we feel we've priced it right" pointing out it was a 2nd hand large engined sports car in a depressed market didn't cut much ice though they would try and clean then lenses up (not replace) and 'make good' on the a-pillar damage would also fix the coolant leak oh and there'll be a 30 point check (or whatever - wasn't too reassured by this given the issues I'd already spotted), 12 months MoT and 12 months parts and labour warranty (isn't that a legal requirement for any dealer anyway?) - pretty much what I'd have expected from any large dealer let alone a main dealer! We had a talk about my px but the offer went beyond insulting!! At various points throught this conversation I'd mentioned that my g/f wanted to have a drive in a coupe before we made a firm decision only to be badgered for a decision - WTF don't these people listen?? They know I've driven 90 minutes to view so I'm serious but still they don't listen - had the usual b/s about some lady coming in to look tomorrow, it's at the point where it's actually quite insulting TBH.

Now that my whinge is finally over the question - am I unreasonable? Is this car priced spot-on or is it a little pricey? I'd expect to get knocked a little on my px but I really don't want to get bent over and told I was being lucky!! ((

Last edited by waylander; 03-10-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 AM
Default Re: Test-drive ;) and traders :( or am I unreasonable?

I reckon its a bit expensive with problems mentioned - is it on a 54 plate by any chance? I paid a less for my coupe also a 2004 on a 53 plate with 40K miles but not from a Chrysler dealer, there are a few roadsters around here of that vintage - not colour - for less or the same amount of money without those sort of issues - doesn't sound as though its been looked after

Tony

Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Forum Regular

Not a good day then Waylander. Trouble is, in that colour, Crossfire's are a bit limited and will need to put in the miles to find one. But I must admit, quite a nice colour.

Good luck.
Jon

Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horrible colour 12 months warranty is possibly useful and unusual - they usually come from insurance companies and in my previous experience are not worth the paper they are written on. Most places will give you 3 months on this type of thing - buy mine £5950 54 plate 62k but graphite sorry. Some of the larger sales places seem to be set up just to waste your time. I went round various garages last year and was offered from 2000 to 5000 for the same car! They also love to point out whats wrong with your car but are less keen if you reverse the role - dealer pointed out that a 3.2 sports car might be a bit thirsty to run so I pointed out that the 3.0 Jag with 4 wheel drive that I was looking at wasn't renowned for its economy but they insisted it would be much better! ie I was wrong again. They are just cars, there will always be another, just keep looking

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like UK car salesmen have been taking lessons from their US counterparts. That is a totally normal experience here. I'm not sure about the pricing but I am always concerned with a vehicle that presents with a coolant leak. I wonder how long that has been going on & have their been overheating issues.

Yellow is the best color for sure but don't take a lesser car just because you are chasing the best color. There is an old saying in the car business that the wrong car always costs too much. I did have to replace the top on my yellow roadster and it was $2k. I was lucky to find the top too. I know tops are a little easier to come by now because there was a recall on some of them but it is still a nightmare if the rear window falls in.

Good luck to you in your search - you are looking for the right color.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

I have to be honest the only thing that made me look at the roadster was the colour - I love yellow... however I realised a few minutes into the drive that I couldn't live with the ambient noise with the roof up - which is a crying shame as I love the look (especially with the roof down

Oh well - got my eye on another few. Was nearly gutted that Radders found his one for that price but the fact it's a manual helped me overcome that!! lol