U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

my crossfire needs a new home

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my crossfire needs a new home

Hello all,

I bought my lovely Crossfire coupe in January after I crashed my MR2, I always wanted one, they're just so beautiful. But we are not a match - I miss a convertible and I miss the manual transmission.

As the car has only 12,000 miles on the clock, I feel it would be such a shame for me to run it for two years, not enjoying it as much as I should and put 20k or more miles on it - somebody will enjoy it more and they may as well do it with low mileage.

So here are the details:
Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited 3.2l Auto
first registered end of December 2005
12,000 miles
pearlcoat blue

I live on the Isle of Man (I know this is a bit of a pain but it's only 30 miles away from Liverpool!) and the tax is not transferrable so you would have to get it taxed. Similarly, we do not have MOTs, however, my car was imported from England and had to go through a test which is very similar to MOT but slightly more thorough. I can forward details of what they check during this test if you'd like.

Last edited by poppipop; 06-01-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 06-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: my crossfire needs a new home

Originally Posted by poppipop
Hello all,

I bought my lovely Crossfire coupe in January after I crashed my MR2, I always wanted one, they're just so beautiful. But we are not a match - I miss a convertible and I miss the manual transmission.

As the car has only 12,000 miles on the clock, I feel it would be such a shame for me to run it for two years, not enjoying it as much as I should and put 20k or more miles on it - somebody will enjoy it more and they may as well do it with low mileage.

So here are the details:
Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited 3.2l Auto
first registered end of December 2005
12,000 miles
pearlcoat blue

I live on the Isle of Man (I know this is a bit of a pain but it's only 30 miles away from Liverpool!) and the tax is not transferrable so you would have to get it taxed. Similarly, we do not have MOTs, however, my car was imported from England and had to go through a test which is very similar to MOT but slightly more thorough. I can forward details of what they check during this test if you'd like.

That's sad your not enjoying your beautiful coupe. I drove mine for 6 years and enjoyed very minute. You shouldn't have to much problem
selling it. Low mileage Crossfire's are getting like hens teeth now. Iv just sold mine with similar
mileage.

Good luck
Jon
Bring on the soft top Merc

Old 06-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Thank you Jon,

I will be sad to see him (my cars tend to be male!) go, it's a beautiful car and it is the poshest car I've ever had! But I do find manual transmission so much more fun!

If the mileage was 50,000, I'd keep him because it doesn't really make that much difference if you sell it with 50k or 70k miles. But there's not many of them left with low mileage and it is wasted on me, someone will enjoy him more and will enjoy another car.

I crashed my MR2 in January, I still mourn it. It's awful how one gets attached to a car, isn't it? Hope you're not missing yours too much!
x

Old 06-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

Thank you Jon,

I will be sad to see him (my cars tend to be male!) go, it's a beautiful car and it is the poshest car I've ever had! But I do find manual transmission so much more fun!

If the mileage was 50,000, I'd keep him because it doesn't really make that much difference if you sell it with 50k or 70k miles. But there's not many of them left with low mileage and it is wasted on me, someone will enjoy him more and will enjoy another car.

I crashed my MR2 in January, I still mourn it. It's awful how one gets attached to a car, isn't it? Hope you're not missing yours too much!
x
Yes, I will miss her when she goes. And that should happen next week some time. Just need to remove my private plate.

I use to own a Toyota body repair shop and I remember the MR2 as a car I would like to own myself but never got around to it. So, you need to find another MR2.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by The bodyman
Yes, I will miss her when she goes. And that should happen next week some time. Just need to remove my private plate.

I use to own a Toyota body repair shop and I remember the MR2 as a car I would like to own myself but never got around to it. So, you need to find another MR2.

It's always sad. I hope you'll get a car that will keep you happy though! I'm sure there's one out there!

The MR2 is lovely. I'm not sure I can have another. I know it sounds nuts but I test drove one and it drove like it should and all but it was not my MR2. It would never be the same. I drove a Z4 today and it's very much like the MR2, it feels very similar, gears, steering, visibility and all. So maybe I'd go for that? Which soft top Merc are you getting?

Old 06-01-2013, 06:07 PM

It's always sad. I hope you'll get a car that will keep you happy though! I'm sure there's one out there!

The MR2 is lovely. I'm not sure I can have another. I know it sounds nuts but I test drove one and it drove like it should and all but it was not my MR2. It would never be the same. I drove a Z4 today and it's very much like the MR2, it feels very similar, gears, steering, visibility and all. So maybe I'd go for that? Which soft top Merc are you getting?
Greetings from just across the water - so sad you're having to sell, albeit with good reason - there seem to be quit a few Crossfire owners having to jump ship at present, especially in the British Isles (that includes IoM, doesn't it?!)
Looks like you've got a real a cracker there - hope you find a buyer soon - if I wasn't already fixed up, I'd be paying you a visit!
No disrespect to Beemers - the Z4 is a nice drive but nothing like as distinctive as a Crossfire! OK, it's understandable you can't go for another MR2 but you like the Crossfire and prefer a manual soft-top, sooo.... what's wrong with a manual convertible Crossfire...? Best of both worlds!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"poppipop" know were you coming from. I have my crossfire for sale because It just doesn't do anything for me. I've tried to make it work for the last year and half but the time has come to sell
I had a MR2 Turbo and was a great car but moved on after 4 years of ownership, then Lexus Soarer, Toyota Supra.
My last car was a 3.0 BMW Z4 and I loved it, only reason I swapped was because the clutch was heavy and I was having probs with my left leg. Now I'm looking back to a Z3 or Z4 3.0

"Crosscats" No disrespect but I think the Z4 is a much better drive than the Crossfire by far

Russ

Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Forum Regular

I'm looking for some thing a little bigger with a bit more comfort. Iv seen a CLK which has ticked most of the boxes. Its older than my Crossfire, but that doesn't bother me. Same engine.

Unusually inertia colour combo

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1&d=1370152688

Attached Thumbnails my crossfire needs a new home-seats.jpeg  
Old 06-02-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by crosscats
Greetings from just across the water - so sad you're having to sell, albeit with good reason - there seem to be quit a few Crossfire owners having to jump ship at present, especially in the British Isles (that includes IoM, doesn't it?!)
Looks like you've got a real a cracker there - hope you find a buyer soon - if I wasn't already fixed up, I'd be paying you a visit!
No disrespect to Beemers - the Z4 is a nice drive but nothing like as distinctive as a Crossfire! OK, it's understandable you can't go for another MR2 but you like the Crossfire and prefer a manual soft-top, sooo.... what's wrong with a manual convertible Crossfire...? Best of both worlds!
Aww, thank you! I know what you mean, the Crossfire wins on the design, definitely. I never really saw myself as a BMW owner but I really did like the Z4! I did think about the manual convertible Crossfire roadster, it's not a bad idea! But, what I love about the Crossfire is the back. The wide curvy bits that are between the rear window and side windows - it's just sooo nice! And roadsters don't have that. Also, the manual apparently isn't fantastic though I've never tested so really can't make a judgement. My neighbour three doors up has a black roadster. It's like Crossfire central over here!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Russ59
"poppipop" know were you coming from. I have my crossfire for sale because It just doesn't do anything for me. I've tried to make it work for the last year and half but the time has come to sell
I had a MR2 Turbo and was a great car but moved on after 4 years of ownership, then Lexus Soarer, Toyota Supra.
My last car was a 3.0 BMW Z4 and I loved it, only reason I swapped was because the clutch was heavy and I was having probs with my left leg. Now I'm looking back to a Z3 or Z4 3.0

[FONT=Arial]"Crosscats" No disrespect but I think the Z4 is a much better drive than the Crossfire by far[/FONT

Russ
I did notice that the clutch was a lot higher than on the MR2, sorry to hear you had to give yours up! Hopefully you'll be able to get a new one. I remember when the James Bond movie with Pierce Brosnan came out, back in the day. He had a Z3, didn't he? I remember everybody wanting that car

Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by The bodyman
I'm looking for some thing a little bigger with a bit more comfort. Iv seen a CLK which has ticked most of the boxes. Its older than my Crossfire, but that doesn't bother me. Same engine.

Unusually inertia colour combo

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...1&d=1370152688
oh wow, that's quite a change! looks very cool!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:54 AM

Aww, thank you! I know what you mean, the Crossfire wins on the design, definitely. I never really saw myself as a BMW owner but I really did like the Z4! I did think about the manual convertible Crossfire roadster, it's not a bad idea! But, what I love about the Crossfire is the back. The wide curvy bits that are between the rear window and side windows - it's just sooo nice! And roadsters don't have that. Also, the manual apparently isn't fantastic though I've never tested so really can't make a judgement. My neighbour three doors up has a black roadster. It's like Crossfire central over here!
Yes, there's at least one other forum regular from IoM (sorry, I've forgotten his ID) - maybe that's your neighbour .
I'm not knocking the Z4 at all - it is one of the 'ultimate driving machines' after all and looks great - I've had many Beemers over the years (but not a Z4 - yet!) - but my point is, most people go for a XF at least initially for its very distinctive looks - and I agree with you, the coupe's back end and roof line are what really makes it stand out and, nice though it is, something of that is lost with the 'vert. - that's why I have a coupe (plus the Mrs isn't keen on convertibles - something about her hair, I think...!)
The manual XF does seem to divide opinion - (I think initial press reactions didn't help but they all want perfection and some were biased against it from the very beginning because of its badge) but there are those who swear by them, even if they acknowledge slight shortcomings in gear ratios and fuel consumption - but over all they still seem to have good following.
I guess the only way to be sure is to try one - which I admit I haven't - after looking at a couple of standard autos (too expensive and too tatty), I got lucky and went straight into an SRT6 and haven't looked back - even thought I too usually prefer a manual.

We've only been to IoM once, fantastic place and your super pics have really inspired me to come back and experience those wonderful roads in a XF!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by crosscats
Yes, there's at least one other forum regular from IoM (sorry, I've forgotten his ID) - maybe that's your neighbour .
I'm not knocking the Z4 at all - it is one of the 'ultimate driving machines' after all and looks great - I've had many Beemers over the years (but not a Z4 - yet!) - but my point is, most people go for a XF at least initially for its very distinctive looks - and I agree with you, the coupe's back end and roof line are what really makes it stand out and, nice though it is, something of that is lost with the 'vert. - that's why I have a coupe (plus the Mrs isn't keen on convertibles - something about her hair, I think...!)
The manual XF does seem to divide opinion - (I think initial press reactions didn't help but they all want perfection and some were biased against it from the very beginning because of its badge) but there are those who swear by them, even if they acknowledge slight shortcomings in gear ratios and fuel consumption - but over all they still seem to have good following.
I guess the only way to be sure is to try one - which I admit I haven't - after looking at a couple of standard autos (too expensive and too tatty), I got lucky and went straight into an SRT6 and haven't looked back - even thought I too usually prefer a manual.

We've only been to IoM once, fantastic place and your super pics have really inspired me to come back and experience those wonderful roads in a XF!
hahaha i have long hair and love the convertible thing. my problem is that i tend to frown a lot more and get more wrinkles!

oh definitely do come back, it is lovely here, especially when the weather's nice! the tt races are on at the moment and the crossfire is definitely getting double takes and 'what's that!' from the visitors.