U.K. Serving all countries of the United Kingdom.

I have to have one!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb I have to have one!!

Hi all,

I was on Autotrader recently and was bored with seeing the standard options for cars that I've been seeing for years! i.e. BMW 3 series coupe/Mercedes CLK.

I deselected all of my search options except for body type(coupe) and price of course and came across the Crossfire . I test drove one this weekend, it was awesome and so I have decided that I will be buying one within the next few weeks/months.

I want to make sure I get a good quality Crossfire. What advice could you guys give me in terms of looking out for typical issues/problems that Crossfires have?

Thanks
Crossfiren00b

Old 07-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 505 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Re: I have to have one!!

Originally Posted by crossfiren00b
Hi all,

I was on Autotrader recently and was bored with seeing the standard options for cars that I've been seeing for years! i.e. BMW 3 series coupe/Mercedes CLK.

I deselected all of my search options except for body type(coupe) and price of course and came across the Crossfire . I test drove one this weekend, it was awesome and so I have decided that I will be buying one within the next few weeks/months.

I want to make sure I get a good quality Crossfire. What advice could you guys give me in terms of looking out for typical issues/problems that Crossfires have?

Thanks
Crossfiren00b

Depending on what you want from a two seat auto that has little practical application except as a daily driver, there are choices.

The NA version is an accomplished commuter. And a sweet week-end cruiser. Get an automatic if you are lazy or commute in tough traffic.
Coupes tend to be less expensive and can be run on the track if you are into that.

The ragtops are very stiff. One will notice virtually no difference in stiffness and both handle well in the twisties. If speed and performance is you goal, look for the SRT6 version. Aside from being rare, they are still very affordable. Supercharged V/6 has plenty of punch and the hand Built AMG engine seems reliable enough.

There are a few wrinkles in the 2004version but nothing of consequence. Being a re-skinned 320/SLK the design bugs were long removed by the time that Mercedes model morfed into the Crossie.

The verts are fun and so is the 6 spd stick. (although it is a little clunky)

You can find a Coupe SRT6 in the $12 to $15K range wth medium mileage ( 50-60K) on the clock. SRT Convertibles are the most rare and command $17K to $25K for virginal models.

NA Verts with 6 Spds are found from $8K to $15K depending on mileage and condition. As to what year, keep in mind that all model years are virtually the same. So mileage/condition is far more important the birthdate.

If you want a reliable commuter, look for one that is unmolested, original wheels and a lack of engine Mods.
If you are wanting a drag racer, go SRT or look elsewhere. The NA is slightly underpowered at 215 HP. Some simple mods can bring it up to 250-260 but any decent V/8 Mustang, hell a Toyota Corolla, will embarrass you at a stoplight launch.

So, what are you actually looking for in a car?

Watch out for multiple ownership, painted over wheels and dirty engine bays. Some coupes have hatches that leak. TPMS that won't shut off, and cabin blowers that are finicky. An "E" light could be nothing of consequence or something easy to fix. Replacement parts are rare and expensive, so most body damage, even just a fender, means a total loss. So stay away from Salvage titles unless you can take advantage of a bargain and deal with annoying issues .

If you find something which brings your interest, take an assessment and post here.
There are plenty of experts here to help you with your decision. A few might even help you look or check one out for you.
Keep in mind, you have contacted a radical group who suffer intolerably from a chronic infection of Permagrin. We like inoculating others with our disease.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 07-12-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfiren00b
Hi all,

Thanks
Crossfiren00b
Hi, read these articles. CLICK

Old 08-11-2015, 04:55 AM

I wish I had the sense to post here weeks in advance, then research what model to buy, what to look for etc...

I saw one and just had to have it!!!

Had it for 24 hours and already been stopped twice and asked about it, once at the garage and another time by a biker at some lights, great start to the motoring experience!!!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get a lot of, "Wow, nice car, what is it?"

Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew I wanted for years so I got on Car-Max certified paid too much but wanted it they shipped it from Las Vegas no charge 38,000 miles so I went with a 5 year warranty everything except clutch and brakes have had it for 11 months it is a base coupe all black but I cant stop modded it new exhaust and tips, black mesh grills , debadged , HID lights,,back-up alarm, next Lamb. doors and I love it more each day and I will be 84 years in 4 months.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Forum Regular

CrossfirenOOb

Treat buying a Crossfire the same as you would any car, look for the same things. Engine is pretty bullet proof. Check rear arches for rust.

I see you are in London, so am I. if you find a car local and would like an opinion on it give me a shout, more than happy to help out.