West Forum Serving AZ, CA, HI, NV.

Meet in Southern California?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Meet in Southern California?

Originally Posted by Brent
I'll take the lead here to propose a tentative plan:

Meet at Montgomery around 8, depart for SJC around 8:30.

Arrive at SJC by 10 and meet up with the hillbillys from the LA area.

Socialize for an hour or so then head out to Idyllwild. No idea how long this will take but we should arrive within three hours.

Have lunch in Idyllwild (note to self: do internet search for places to eat there) and then breakup and head for home.

In the meantime I really need to get new rear tires and a nail pulled from one of my front tires. Procrastination at it's best.
Both the 21st and 28th are fine with me.

I think it won't even take us an hour to get from Montgomery Field in SD to SJC - it's only a 55 mile trip (we are bringing our Crossfires aren't we?). If we take a half hour off our drive time, and then take a half hour off our SJC time, we could be on the road a bit sooner and on to Idyllwild in time for lunch?

This would mean leaving Montgomery Field by 8:30am, and get to SJC by 9:30am (probably closer to 9:15am). Leave SJC by 10:00am. It's 81 miles from SJC up to Idyllwild - but on a state hwy thru Parris and Hemet - so not as fast.

Once we arrive in Idyllwild we can have a nice lunch - cruise around a bit, whatever.

Then either cruise north down the Banning - Idyllwild Panormic Highway
OR
Take the 74 S E to the 371 to the 79 and circle back to Temecula.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular

OK, Who is interested / able to do this trip up to Idyllwild on June 28th?

So far, it sounds like:
eganders
Brent
Mike-in-Orange

How about the other posters on this thread:
Mr. Max
Irafatsar
Sean760
SVO
SkyShadow
brhertel
Scott_lmtd
Z28toXfire
AlbertFattal
Wyatt
-32-
msheredy
XfireXtreme
TruRaja
Rbegora
mousegu
GBlsXFire

And anyone else? Everyone is welcome. Should be a fun ride!

Last edited by eganders; 06-19-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i could, but im going to be in Oklahoma until July 1st with a big car show out there.

Thanks Though.

Justin

Old 06-19-2009, 07:08 PM

I might want to make the trip from Phoenix if this is a go. I may be going to my high school reunion Saturday... still debating. A Crossfire run is more appealing . I have a place in Indio for the weekend so that would be my base. We would meet up somewhere.....

Old 06-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eganders
OK, Who is interested / able to do this trip up to Idyllwild on June 28th?

So far, it sounds like:
eganders
Brent
Mike-in-Orange

How about the other posters on this thread:
Mr. Max
Irafatsar
Sean760
SVO
SkyShadow
brhertel
Scott_lmtd
Z28toXfire
AlbertFattal
Wyatt
-32-
msheredy
XfireXtreme
TruRaja
Rbegora
mousegu
GBlsXFire

And anyone else? Everyone is welcome. Should be a fun ride!
Herein lies the problem with a SoCal GTG: everybody complains that we never do one, yet when somebody finally puts something together, nobody will commit to it. 6 months later they complain again that we never do anything.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:32 PM

sorry guys, but i'll be out of town that weekend. hope you guys pull it off and have funalso, i just saw a black xF at hawthorne and del amo in torrance (11:20am). is that anyone here?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

I'm interested but what day is all this going on?

Old 06-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Skyshadow
I'm interested but what day is all this going on?
Skyshadow:

Our trip up to Idyllwild is scheduled for this coming Sunday, June 28, 2009. I think it mentions that a few posts up the thread.

It would great to have you come along. Everyone is welcome.

Last edited by eganders; 06-21-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steverwrx
I might want to make the trip from Phoenix if this is a go. I may be going to my high school reunion Saturday... still debating. A Crossfire run is more appealing . I have a place in Indio for the weekend so that would be my base. We would meet up somewhere.....
Stevewrx:

Are you coming for your reunion? We can find a spot to have you join in.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 PM

Stevewrx:

Are you coming for your reunion? We can find a spot to have you join in.
Maybe. Sorry to be vague but yesterday it was a yes. But after checking out "Chuck" the SRT6 today I realized he needs front tires before a long road trip(and a alignment). I have a set of rear Michelins PS2 already but debating if I want to spend $500 plus for the front two. I have posted the rear set for sale in the classifieds and thinking about going with Vredesteins for the full set.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:38 PM

This is the 110th post in this thread and we are still bumbling around on a meet. Now everybody hang your heads in shame.

OK, looks like it's time to get dictorial and declare a meet schedule. Being the author of this post, I now declare myself Emperor of the Thread. Here goes:

The San Diego bunch meet at Montgomery Field at 8:30- nine-ish next Sunday the 28th. We hang out waiting on stragglers (such as myself) and then head out to San Juan Capistrano, arriving approximately 10:30.

In the meantime, those in the LA area meet somewhere at sometime, then journey south and join up with the San Dieganites at 10:30. We hang out for a half hour, forty five minutes for stragglers (such as myself getting lost on the way to SJC) and then truck (I know, poor choice of word) out to Idyllhelpmespellit). Eat lunch there and discuss what we want to do afterwards.

We can take 74 to Lake Elsinore, then to Perris, then to Hemet and on to the Idyllplace.

Now to the parts that are still murky. The LA crowd needs to meet up, or maybe since SJC is close by they can head to SJC individually - it's your call LA guys and gals. Can some local LA type take the lead here?

Murky point number two. Does anyone have any suggestions where to meet in SJC? If not, I'll don my Emperor crown and find something on Google map, probably a Walmart parking lot.

Number three in a series of murky parts - I picked the route out on a map. I have no idea what it is actually like. If anyone is familiar with the route, and knows a better way, please pipe up ASAP so we can plan differently.

Murky murky number four. By crude measurement it looks like the trip to Idyllwild is around 50 miles or so. Assuming we leave SJC at 11:30, we should be arriving by 1:00. I don't know about the rest of you but I get incapacitated by hunger pains within a half hour of not eating. So..... if we want (and in my case need to) eat earlier we can stop along the way like at Hemet. There is a good little cafe at the local airport that I know of.

Final polish to apply: post a map to Montgomery for those not familiar with the airport (returnees can plan on meeting in the same parking lot as last fall), and google IdyllI'mtiredofspellingit for restaurants and such. I'll give this post a couple of days for ideas for improvements and then post an announcement in the Crossfire Meets thread. Will also get eating destinations and maps posted is several days.

Alright, we've had lots of inquires and pleas to have a So Cal meet. This is it! Let's do it before further tax increases squeeze us riight out of the running.

Stevewrx, It's your call if you want to come out to join us, and we'd certainly like to have you. I'm thinking it's best to meet us in SJC. If you do make it, how about a cell phone number so if we miss in SJC, we can coordinate another place to meet. As for tires, I'm really getting impressed with the Potenza RE-11s I wound up with and recommend you give them a consideration.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Forum Regular

Brent, as I mentioned in post 101 on this thread, Montgomery Field in SD to San Juan Capistrano, (according to maps.google.com), is a 55 mile trip up the I-805 and I-5. That drive shouldn't take more than 45 minutes or so. If you'd like to leave SD by 9:00am we can be in SJC by 9:45am.

After mingling for a half hour, we can head out for Idyllwild. Again according to maps.google.com, it's 81 miles from San Juan Capistrano to Idyllwild on the state highway thru Parris and Hemet. So if we leave SJC by 10:15am or so, we can easily be up to Idyllwild by 12:00pm and keep everyone's energy levels in good shape.

We then have more than enough time to have a great lunch in Idyllwild, cruise around a bit, take some time to chat, etc., before picking our routes out of Idyllwild towards the end of the day.

Sound good?

Last edited by eganders; 06-22-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:24 PM

OK, looks like it's time to get dictorial and declare a meet schedule. Being the author of this post, I now declare myself Emperor of the Thread.
Yep, I've alluded to this in the past. Someone just needs to grab the bull by the horns and do it.

I live very close to Ortega Hwy and Antonio Pkwy (can be there in about 5 minutes from home). I think the LA/OC guys - and perhaps I'm the only one according to the "signup" list - should meet in the first little complex right off the 5 at Ortega - Google map HERE You San Diego guys can roll in around 9:45~10:00AM and we'll convoy up Ortega Hwy together.

Once we get into and beyond Lake Elsinore we're getting onto a stretch of Hwy 74 I've not driven, but recently saw pictures of. One of the meguiarsonline forum members posted some great shots HERE showing part of the road between Palm Desert and Elsinore.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-in-Orange
Once we get into and beyond Lake Elsinore we're getting onto a stretch of Hwy 74 I've not driven, but recently saw pictures of. One of the meguiarsonline forum members posted some great shots HERE showing part of the road between Palm Desert and Elsinore.
Yep. Those shots are going down the the Hwy 74 hill into Palm Desert. It's a cool ride.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:17 PM

EMPEROR! FOR THOSE OF US ABOUT TO DRIVE, WE SALUTE YOU.

Lunch on the mountain sounds good. I'm planning on it.

Last edited by Mr. Max; 06-22-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 PM

I'll be coming up from Palm Springs. Any other Palm Springers here? If not I'll do the lone ranger bit up the opposite side of the hill. As of yet, I have no idea of how to get there. They said the Crossfire was too big for the tram and I haven't come up with a plan B. God Bless Google and their maps.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Brent, as I mentioned in post 101 on this thread, Montgomery Field in SD to San Juan Capistrano, (according to maps.google.com), is a 55 mile trip up the I-805 and I-5. That drive shouldn't take more than 45 minutes or so. If you'd like to leave SD by 9:00am we can be in SJC by 9:45am.

After mingling for a half hour, we can head out for Idyllwild. Again according to maps.google.com, it's 81 miles from San Juan Capistrano to Idyllwild on the state highway thru Parris and Hemet. So if we leave SJC by 10:15am or so, we can easily be up to Idyllwild by 12:00pm and keep everyone's energy levels in good shape.

We then have more than enough time to have a great lunch in Idyllwild, cruise around a bit, take some time to chat, etc., before picking our routes out of Idyllwild towards the end of the day.

Sound good?
Sounds good but Grasshopper, you forget that it takes 15 minutes to pass through San Diego stoplights before actually getting to a highway. That, and traffic, is why I figured on an hour. The highway traffic on weekends is surprising at times.

Let's plan on lunch at Idyllwild but things get too late we can always eat somewhere else.

Looks like M-I-O has a gathering spot picked for us. I'm not sure which exact spot we are to meet at, possibly the cemetery, but I'm sure Mike will provide clarification shortly.

Mr Max, are you planning on meeting us in Idyllweed? If so we will make plans for that also.

Now we only need to post a map or two and determine that there are actually restaurants in Idyllaway. Will get this taken care of over the next couple of days.

Brent in San Diego
The City of Eternal Stoplights

Old 06-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Forum Regular

As for a meet up location - a suggestion. To the west of the fwy at the Ortega Hwy offramp there's a divey Mexican place here - Pedro's Tacos. It's just to the right where the road T's about 2 blocks west of I-5. Here's the Google Map too. Machaca for the road anyone? We've stopped there several times on the way home from places where they don't know good divey Mexican food.

Last edited by eganders; 06-23-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Sounds good but Grasshopper, you forget that it takes 15 minutes to pass through San Diego stoplights before actually getting to a highway. That, and traffic, is why I figured on an hour. The highway traffic on weekends is surprising at times.

Let's plan on lunch at Idyllwild but things get too late we can always eat somewhere else.

Looks like M-I-O has a gathering spot picked for us. I'm not sure which exact spot we are to meet at, possibly the cemetery, but I'm sure Mike will provide clarification shortly.

Mr Max, are you planning on meeting us in Idyllweed? If so we will make plans for that also.

Now we only need to post a map or two and determine that there are actually restaurants in Idyllaway. Will get this taken care of over the next couple of days.

Brent in San Diego
The City of Eternal Stoplights

Yes Brent, I will be meeting you all (finally!) at the top. I just need a destination address and an approximate time if possible. I will be coming from Rancho Mirage. If you all want to eat before you get to Idyllwild, don't let me be a stumbling block. I'll need a few cell phone numbers and I'll respond with mine.
Thanks, Jeff

Old 06-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Nope, it's just a Chevron station right at Ortega & the 5 with a Denny's behind it. I'm not recommending Denny's as a place to eat, just a place to meet. Both the gas station and the restaurant are convenient for a quick bathroom stop or to pick up a cold drink to go, if you're so inclined.

Quick Reply: Meet in Southern California?