Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Lug Bolts - How long is too long?

Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug Bolts - How long is too long?

I got some new rims and tires last night and the tire shop did not use the correct length lug bolts. They ended up being about a 1/4 of an inch too long. They did not realize this until it was being backed out of the bay, so it was moved about 10 feet. I told them about what I had read on here about the bolt length was critical and so they checked it out and figured out that was the problem. They ended up grinding down the bolts and they fit now with no rubbing or clicking.

I have 2 questions:

1. They did not grind down the front bolts, but it doesn't seem like I am having a problem there, are the fronts as critical as the rears?

2. Would I know if something got messed up behind the rotor on the rears (I think the parking brake)? Everything feels fine now and the parking brake is working with no problems. I wasn't sure if I should take the car to a dealer to have them check it out or not. I would prefer not to take it to the dealer because I have a feeling that will come out of my pocket if there is no problem, but I will if there could be damage that will bite me in the butt later if I don't get it looked at now.

Thanks,

Michael