Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

wheel locks

Old 11-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel locks

i bought my car from a dealer new and when i got a flat about a year later, i realized that they did not return the removal key. what stinks is the dealer went out of business. does anyone know how to get these things off. the dealer is no help and said that removing them would damage my wheels.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: wheel locks

I'll have to look at the locking set I purchased, but I believe they are individually keyed and you will have to have the code number to have a new key made or risk damaging your wheel when removing the old locking lug bolt. (I'll look when I get home)

Look through the information you received with the car (owners manual). Make sure you check all the little pockets of the plastic 'wallet' that it comes in.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 PM

I worked for a Honda/Nissan dealership several years ago and they had a master set for both those brands. There were about six or eight different lugs in each set. I'm sure Chrysler has something similar. You can be sure this is not the first time this has happened.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 PM

Sorry for the newbie question, but --

Wheel locks??

Are we talking about aftermarket gear here, or is does the XF come with locks standard, and the good folks at CarMax neglected to mention this to me when I bought the XF? I don't recall anything in the owner's manual...

Old 11-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Forum Regular

They did not come with wheel locks in 2004, but you could order them as an accessory through Chrysler. I don't know about 2005, but I'm sure it was the same story.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Forum Regular

...What wheel locks??? Heck my dealer had to order the manual for mine, "lost it somehow". I hope they didn't lose the locking key!

Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the boards. ;o)

So it turns out I have the same wheel lock issue. The guy I bought the car from only drove it 200 miles and bought it from a dealer in Indiana. Locks on the wheels and no key to be found anywhere. I went to my Houston 5 Star dealer (what a joke) and the service advisor told me there was nothing they could do about it and take it to Discount Tire to get the locks removed. I went there yesterday and of course they couldn't take them off. The parts they use won't fit. I already wrote a letter to DC and haven't heard anything back (yet another joke). I only have 6K miles on the car and the tires are already balding unevenly (back right tire more than the left AND only half of the tire). Any suggestions on what to do? If I get a flat, there's no way to replace the tires!! Ridiculous!!

Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: wheel locks

Could you possibly take a pic of the wheel lock, need to see the key pattern. Sometimes you can take 2 flathead screwdrivers in the indents then lock them with a pair of vise grips and loosen the lock and then remove them by hand...but be careful not to scratch the car.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by CrossfireLTD
Could you possibly take a pic of the wheel lock, need to see the key pattern. Sometimes you can take 2 flathead screwdrivers in the indents then lock them with a pair of vise grips and loosen the lock and then remove them by hand...but be careful not to scratch the car.

I called MOPAR who directed me to McGard-the manufacturer of the locks. Sent them the picture and they will send me a socket that will hopefully fit between the lock and the rim. I hope it works. ;o(

Old 12-20-2006, 09:10 AM

Don't freak out. I had the same problem. Go to where a spare should be on the Crossfire. Near the can of fix o flat there is a metal lug nut that is your wheel lock key. It looks like a socket. You just put it over your wheel lock. These aren't the traditional wheel locks on these Crossfires.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Forum Regular

No it can't be that easy. Too bad my wife drove the car to work or I'd be diggin' in that trunk right now!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by mtbikersd
Don't freak out. I had the same problem. Go to where a spare should be on the Crossfire. Near the can of fix o flat there is a metal lug nut that is your wheel lock key. It looks like a socket. You just put it over your wheel lock. These aren't the traditional wheel locks on these Crossfires.
I did freak out and raised hell with the incompetent dealers. Tore up the car, no lug nut/socket/key anywhere. That particular wheel lock is labeled as a "Mopar" part that was put on by the Chrysler dealer but is actually manufactured by McGard. I sent them the pic and they sent me a socket that fits perfectly. Problem solved. Took matters in my own hands otherwise I was gonna sell the car lol.

I can't wait to roll up to the dealership next week and see their look of confusion and stupidity...

Let me know if you need help getting keys to your locks, I'll send you phone numbers/contacts if it happens to be the same kind of lock. ;o)

Old 12-22-2006, 04:49 AM

When I first went to the dealer and told him I wasn't given the keys to the wheel locks he tried to tell me my car didn't have wheel locks. These dealers know nothing. I had to make him take off the plastic cover and show him their where wheel locks on it before he believed me. He then tried to get the wheel lock keys from the other crossfires on the lot and non of them had wheel lock keys.Then no lie, the key for my wheel locks and the rest of the crossfires on the lot (4) turned out to be underneath the carpet in the trunk.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM

I saw an advertisement for an Emergency Lug Nut remover on Amazon.com. They mention that it is good for removing wheel locks when the lock key is missing. Worth a look!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: wheel locks

Originally Posted by XbebeX
Let me know if you need help getting keys to your locks, I'll send you phone numbers/contacts if it happens to be the same kind of lock. ;o)
Suggestion:

1. PM Andrew to make the following a sticky.

2. Make a new post with new members in mind.
Have an explanation for the post, where the key is suppose to be in the trunk, a pics of lock and key if feasible, phone numbers and what to and not to expect from the dealers.

I'm sure any of us can provide pictures if you can't.

And good work on a job well done.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Forum Regular

Well I searched my trunk. No key. Surprised to find a compressor and a industrial size can of fix-a-flat!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:53 PM

Do Not Be Surprised. That Is Standard Equipment For The Car. I Purchased A Spare Kit In Case Of Emergencies On E Bay.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Forum Regular

But where's my darn wheel lock key???

Old 12-29-2006, 09:20 PM

My Car Did Not Come With The Wheel Locks. I Bought Them From Mcguard.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ws6vert
But where's my darn wheel lock key???
Post a pic of the locks on your car. If they look similar to the ones that are on my car then you can get a customized key from McGard. Otherwise, you're sol. ;o/

Quick Reply: wheel locks