Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Pros and Cons of changing wheel sizes

Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of changing wheel sizes

Looking at aftermarket chrome wheels for my Limited. Most set come in same size for four; some can be bought to fit as Crossfire is set up OEM. My question is what would be the most practical way to go? More choices with the same size all around but this would mean new tires too. What other problems would there be with this?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Pros and Cons of changing wheel sizes

I would like to know too. Several on the forum have switched to all 18" for winter tread. Does the change alter the handling?

Last edited by stlouistrucker; 12-16-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:07 PM

I just changed to 17" wheels to get a softer and quieter ride (MB wheels). You can go to www.Miata.net for tire info. Put in you stock size and then compare other sizes to get the same Dia. as stock. I need to now install a spacer in the rear to get the wheel moved out some, I guess I'll have to put on one the rear wheels back on to measure to the fender to see what size spacer I'll need. The bolts were a little to long and when I backed out of the garage, there was a pop and something gave in the rear hub. Everything works (I think) and now something is rattling in the hub. I took the bolts back out and there was a little stuff on one bolt thread. I'll have to do alittle more research, but I will not be driving now until the weather is better and they stop putting all that anti-freeze on the roads.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have an SRT6 you will NOT be able to put 17" or maybe even some 18" rims in the front.

When I changed mine I stayed with the stock staggered setup. Slightly wider 1/2" and 35mm offset front and rear.

Some people feel that the ride is too harsh, especially on the SRT6. If you have back problems or prior injuries that give you pain from things like roller coasters... DON'T get a Crossfire or plan on softening it's ride.

My wife and I live with the ride due to the performance trade-off. Another user on this forum, HDDP, races his 04 Limited and has it track prepped. i.e. - stripped interior, roll cage, upgraded brakes (SRT6), upgraded sway bars (SRT6) and 18" rims all the way around and it's fine for his setup.

Make sure your width and offsets are near factory, regardless of the size and style you choose.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flow
I just changed to 17" wheels to get a softer and quieter ride (MB wheels). You can go to www.Miata.net for tire info. Put in you stock size and then compare other sizes to get the same Dia. as stock. I need to now install a spacer in the rear to get the wheel moved out some, I guess I'll have to put on one the rear wheels back on to measure to the fender to see what size spacer I'll need. The bolts were a little to long and when I backed out of the garage, there was a pop and something gave in the rear hub. Everything works (I think) and now something is rattling in the hub. I took the bolts back out and there was a little stuff on one bolt thread. I'll have to do alittle more research, but I will not be driving now until the weather is better and they stop putting all that anti-freeze on the roads.
Too long a bolt on the rear wheels will damage the parking brake assembly.
Look there first, good luck.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flow, you damaged your e-brake assembly... as i did mines... after i repaired the spring i bent in the assembly i ended up measuring the stock bolts with the stock wheels and just made my new bolts on my new wheels have the same length that goes in the hub... problems gone...

Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by flow
Can you provide some pics of your x-fire on 17" inchers?
What tire brand and size did you go with??
Did it make a noticeable difference?

Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 AM

I switched to all 18's on mine, I have 18X8 on the front and 18X9 on the rear. Front tires are the stock size and the rears are 255 40 18 which is basically the exact same height as the stock tires. For me the Pros and Cons were:

Pros - much less expensive rubber on the rear for autocrossing (Azenis 615), I am not as worried about bending one of the rear rims because there is more rubber between the rim and the road, if I do get a bent wheel, the aftermarket wheels that I got are cheaper and more readily available than the SRT wheels.

Con - Bumped me out of stock class for autocrossing.

I don't think the ride and handling changed much at all. I think the only changes would be due to the tires, not the wheels.

Michael