Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

correct tire pressure

Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: correct tire pressure

Originally Posted by srt6_crossfire
question for all regarding tire pressure...

Assuming that you are putting stock tires on aftermarket rims, would the factory recommended tire pressure still applies? what about if rim size is different from stock?

someone told me it would be different... are they full of [blank]?
Start with the factory settings. It really should be close to optimal. If you want to be sure you can do this. Get some children's sidewalk chalk, and chalk down the tread of your tire on a small section. Then drive forward a few feet and look at the chalk imprint on the concrete. It should be even all the way across. If there is a darker chalk mark on the outside edges of the tire you want more psi, if there is a darker chalk mark in the center, you want less.

This is a very cheap basic way to determine base psi, you truely want to drive the car like you normally would and measure the temperatures in three locations and adjust the pressure via tire temp, but the chalk method works pretty darn good.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: correct tire pressure

Originally Posted by Anthony Fiore
...central Floridian and happy owner of a ride that can go around a corner...
Just got back from a business trip to FL. Every time I go there I can't help but notice how flat the land is with a lack of curves/turns on the roads, that would drive me nuts. It's like a really pretty Oklahoma (but you have hurricane's and they have tornados). I miss living in the north east, those roads were fun to drive. And I have only had the pleasure of driving rental cars in Cali, they have some interesting roads too.