Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Brake feel on used 2005 Limited Coupe

Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake feel on used 2005 Limited Coupe

Question-

I bought a used 9K miles 2005 Limited Coupe Automatic. The brakes feel soft to the push- but stop the car well. No warped rotors, no noise.

I test drove a 2004 6 speed manual, and the brakes on that vehicle felt very stiff and stopped the car a little quicker.

I am assuming my brakes on my car I bought are stock- no leak in the master cylinder etc....

How should the brakes feel in my 'stock' 2005 Limited feel in the forums opionion?

Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
RPM
Default Re: Brake feel on used 2005 Limited Coupe

Perhaps the Crossfire you bought has aftermarket pads (Rotex Gold, etc.). I noticed that the Rotex Golds require a good bit more pedal than the stock pads.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by RPM
Perhaps the Crossfire you bought has aftermarket pads (Rotex Gold, etc.). I noticed that the Rotex Golds require a good bit more pedal than the stock pads.
Do you think that the brakes could have been changed with less than 9K miles on the car?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 AM
RPM

Originally Posted by donschorr
Do you think that the brakes could have been changed with less than 9K miles on the car?
Yes. Many owners switch the factory pads out due to excessive brake dust.
You'll notice that many members of the forum use Rotex Gold pads that produce very little brake dust.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question-

I bought a used 9K miles 2005 Limited Coupe Automatic. The brakes feel soft to the push- but stop the car well. No warped rotors, no noise.

I test drove a 2004 6 speed manual, and the brakes on that vehicle felt very stiff and stopped the car a little quicker.

I am assuming my brakes on my car I bought are stock- no leak in the master cylinder etc....

How should the brakes feel in my 'stock' 2005 Limited feel in the forums opionion?

Thanks
new '07 6mt, stock pads, stiff brakes here.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by RPM
You'll notice that many members of the forum use Rotex Gold pads that produce very little brake dust.
Thanks, is there a way I can tell that the pads are Rotex or stock?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Forum Regular

Question-

Thanks
Bleed them.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, is there a way I can tell that the pads are Rotex or stock?
If you have a LOT of brake dust on your wheels, they are stock pads.

Rotex will give you very little, or no brake dust.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by xfire2005
If you have a LOT of brake dust on your wheels, they are stock pads.

Rotex will give you very little, or no brake dust.
I have a good bit amount of brake dust. So lets assume that they are stock pads.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Life is random...so am I.

The easiest way to tell if they are stock.........

1) clean your wheels with a microfiber cloth.
2) drive your car for 5-10 miles
3) take a white cloth and wipe your wheels again......if the cloth turns black the pads are probably stock.

I'm dead serious......the stock pads are that dusty!

On a seperate thought.......did you leave the 6m car in gear as you were stopping? I know I can downshift the car and slow down VERY well without any braking.

Also......do you know how long the car sat before you bought it......there could be fluid contamination issues, pad contamination, it could even be the tires.

Last edited by apkano; 02-05-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question-

Thanks
I just installed the ceramic pads and slotted rotors, and yes I also found the brakes to be a little mushy. I need to install a set of SS lines I picked up on ebay, only $50 for this car. then pressure bleed the system, I'll get back to you onthis later, so no it's not the oem pads that feel mushy.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by apkano
The easiest way to tell if they are stock.........

1) clean your wheels with a microfiber cloth.
2) drive your car for 5-10 miles
3) take a white cloth and wipe your wheels again......if the cloth turns black the pads are probably stock.

I'm dead serious......the stock pads are that dusty!

On a seperate thought.......did you leave the 6m car in gear as you were stopping? I know I can downshift the car and slow down VERY well without any braking.

Also......do you know how long the car sat before you bought it......there could be fluid contamination issues, pad contamination, it could even be the tires.
I cleaned the wheels as described, the pads are definetly stock. No on the manual transmission car I pushed clutch in and stopped with just brake power, very tight pedal.... I will assume with 27K miles the pads probably had been changed.

The car sat for 5 months prior to me buying driven a total of 400 miles during that time at a car lot. The brakes are just mushy feeling, but work properly, I like a strong pedal. Tires great shape, stock Continentals perfect tread no cupping alignment perfect suspension perfect etc.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell
I just installed the ceramic pads and slotted rotors, and yes I also found the brakes to be a little mushy. I need to install a set of SS lines I picked up on ebay, only $50 for this car. then pressure bleed the system, I'll get back to you onthis later, so no it's not the oem pads that feel mushy.
Thanks Maxwell, I am working on a budget so I can't upgrade much yet... and car still under warranty so if the brake system isn't operating properly I would like Chrysler to attend to.

Don

Old 02-05-2008, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by NoCones
Bleed them.
Will bleeding them, restore more pedal pressure?

Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

The first thing I'd try is this......Start the car, leave in park (neutral if 6m), and press the pedal firmly and hold it there for a minute. If the pedal moves at all or slowly drops to the floor you more than likely have a leak somewhere. (caliper piston, abs unit, valving, lines) If the pedal stays in a firm position, i.e. doesn't move after it has been held for a little time, I'd probably just try to bleed the system and see if that helps.

This is all assuming that you are happy with the quality of your brake hoses.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Forum Regular

Will bleeding them, restore more pedal pressure?

Thanks
assuming air in the lines is the issue, then yes...you won't know until you try (I had some air in mine shortly after bought brand new)

Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RPM
For sure if the pads haven't been changed it is impossible to keep the wheels (especially the fronts) clean.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by apkano
The first thing I'd try is this......Start the car, leave in park (neutral if 6m), and press the pedal firmly and hold it there for a minute. If the pedal moves at all or slowly drops to the floor you more than likely have a leak somewhere. (caliper piston, abs unit, valving, lines) If the pedal stays in a firm position, i.e. doesn't move after it has been held for a little time, I'd probably just try to bleed the system and see if that helps.

This is all assuming that you are happy with the quality of your brake hoses.
Thanks for the advice. The pedal holds firmly. It does seem to engage- not move, about half way and then hold firm.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by woodlands1
For sure if the pads haven't been changed it is impossible to keep the wheels (especially the fronts) clean.
Can you just change the front stock brakes and leave the stock brakes on the rear?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Can you just change the front stock brakes and leave the stock brakes on the rear?
Yes....you can just change out the front brake pads with little effort. Just be sure to use the anti-squeal they give you with the new pads or get some from the auto parts store. Some members even have their rotors turned to guarantee that the brakes don't "squeal".....but I would just try the anti-squeal first before going to all the extra effort!

Quick Reply: Brake feel on used 2005 Limited Coupe