Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Eagle F1 All Season

Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eagle F1 All Season

Well folks after 30K miles it was time to send the Conti's to the scrapper ! Opted for the GY Eagle F1 All Seasons. So far I really like this tire, seems to have just a little more side to side roll than the Conti but the traction factor is without a doubt one of the big plus's here. Course anything would have been better than the self inflicted slicks I had on the back.

Price you might ask ? Be prepared to shell out a "cool K" !!!

Just my Dos Centavos

Last edited by Stogey; 04-01-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Eagle F1 All Season

Originally Posted by Stogey
Well folks after 30K miles it was time to send the Conti's to the scrapper ! Opted for the GY Eagle F1 All Seasons. So far I really like this tire, seems to have just a little more side to side roll than the Conti but the traction factor is without a doubt one of the big plus's here. Course anything would have been better that the self inflicted slicks I had on the back.

Just my Dos Centavos
I like them too. I paid around $950 for all four installed, with the road hazard from goodyear. (Which I don't really recommend).

I find them a bit noisy, but they handle water like a true champ. When it pours I find the largest puddle and drive right on through, it's fun!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap, 1K!? Where did you get them? A set from the TireRack is $670 for all four and seems to get lower every month or so. $130-front, $205 back each. I'm tempted to get mine right now because they're offering a $50 rebate on a set of four. $620 for a set of All Season tires for my car is pretty attractive. I have 29K on my stock Conti's and the rears are like slicks too.

Last edited by No Warning Shot; 10-07-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by No Warning Shot
I have 29K on my stock Conti's and the rears are like slicks too.
You should get them. I just checked and that's a great price. If you only need summer tires the Kumho Ecsta SPT(Ultra High Performance Summer) are not bad at $97 for fronts and $185 for rear.

Last edited by FP; 10-07-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, 1K!? Where did you get them? A set from the TireRack is $670 for all four and seems to get lower every month or so. $130-front, $205 back each. I'm tempted to get mine right now because they're offering a $50 rebate on a set of four. $620 for a set of All Season tires for my car is pretty attractive. I have 29K on my stock Conti's and the rears are like slicks too.
Yeah, no doubt I could have found them cheaper ! Discount Tire had me on a 3 day wait list. The local GY shop had the fronts in stock (which is what I needed the worst as it turned out)(screw on the inside sidewall) and the rears came from Houston next day. Tax, title, license and road hazard, just over 1K ! I did get the $50 rebate for buyin four tires, Wooo Hooo !

Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Forum Regular

I need All Seasons. I park my car for the winter as soon as salt hits the road, but we see a couple months of pretty chilly temps before that which would be hard on summer tires. I learned that lesson before.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy them?

You will find that while the low price is great, shops will charge you installation, disposal fees, etc etc. and the price really is not that much cheaper..

In my experience..

Old 10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by FP
You should get them. I just checked and that's a great price. If you only need summer tires the Kumho Ecsta SPT(Ultra High Performance Summer) are not bad at $97 for fronts and $185 for rear.

Funny you mention those tires.

A co-worker gets to trade cars with his father-in-law a couple times a year, he drives a Trailblazer SS and his Father-in-law has a 2006 Corvette. We've had the 'Vette out a few times this summer when it was warm, and he never really drives "gently", if you get my drift. Pun intended. The car always handled great with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Recently he got Ecsta's put on though, I was curious as to how the car was with them on. HOLY HELL.....it seemed like we were on ice all day! I'm not sure if they would be any better on a Crossfire, but I was definitely unimpressed with them.

Personally, I'd only put Ecsta's on if I wanted to enter a drifting competition! Just my opinion though.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I just ordered the F1 All Season from TireRack. Total w/shipping $717. The local "Wheel Dr" will mount/balance the tires for $15 each off the car.

UPS Scheduled delivery is Oct 10. Just in time for the Dragon.

James

PS - I forgot about the $50 rebate, so deduct that from the $717.

Last edited by James1549; 10-07-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by apkano
Funny you mention those tires.

A co-worker gets to trade cars with his father-in-law a couple times a year, he drives a Trailblazer SS and his Father-in-law has a 2006 Corvette. We've had the 'Vette out a few times this summer when it was warm, and he never really drives "gently", if you get my drift. Pun intended. The car always handled great with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. Recently he got Ecsta's put on though, I was curious as to how the car was with them on. HOLY HELL.....it seemed like we were on ice all day! I'm not sure if they would be any better on a Crossfire, but I was definitely unimpressed with them.

Personally, I'd only put Ecsta's on if I wanted to enter a drifting competition! Just my opinion though.
This is good feedback for those contemplating buying them.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Kumho Ecsta SPT's on the back of the Aero and I am quite happy with them. No slipping and sliding for me. I dont push them real hard in normal driving but have been using them at the track and on a well prep'ed tack got a 1.7 sec 60' time, others in the 1.8 - 2.0 range. I will be using M/T ET Street drag radials next time out(if they get there in time).

MikeR

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stogey
Well folks after 30K miles it was time to send the Conti's to the scrapper ! Opted for the GY Eagle F1 All Seasons. So far I really like this tire, seems to have just a little more side to side roll than the Conti but the traction factor is without a doubt one of the big plus's here. Course anything would have been better that the self inflicted slicks I had on the back.

Just my Dos Centavos
We've had the F1 A/S on the coupe for about 9 months and 6k miles now. At the time we purchased them they were relatively new to the TX market and hard to find. We paid just over $1k for them. So far, they show little wear and we are completely satisfied with them. They handle great on dry and especially wet pavement...plus they look great for an A/S tire!

Since central and north TX are subject to winter snow & ice, summer tires are not an option for a daily driver. You made an excellent choice...enjoy the ride!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Life is random...so am I.

Originally Posted by James1549
I just ordered the F1 All Season from TireRack. Total w/shipping $717. The local "Wheel Dr" will mount/balance the tires for $15 each off the car.

James
Just make sure the "wheel Dr." has the ability to deal with such a narrow sidewall tire, as well as the ability to deal with the pressure sensors.

General note.......each wheel has a sensor with a UNIQUE signal. Scanning for DTC's will tell you specifically what wheel sensor is at fault based on these signals. (RF, LF, RR, LR) If the sensors get switched or the wheels get swapped side for side, you could end up switching a good sensor if you ever have a problem in the future.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM

The Wheel Dr. has the ability to deal with all the aspects you mention. They repaired one of my wheels from a previous 'curbing'. They mostly deal with repairing low profile high cost wheels. I have complete confidence with them.

As for the position of the wheel, I understand. But what I don't know is that the sensors are in the proper position now! If you bought your Crossfire pre-owned, then you can't be sure of proper position to begin with.

But thanks for the heads-up. James

Old 10-08-2008, 02:18 AM

James

PS - I forgot about the $50 rebate, so deduct that from the $717.

I paid $748 for mine a year and about 20,000 miles ago at Conrad's, I have really liked them. I don't drive mine in the winter, on purpose anyway, sometimes winter can sneak up on you around here I think you will like the tires what impressed me was the tread wear rating, I believe it is 420, yes I'm cheap I don't want have to replace them for a while.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nox1s
Did you buy them?

You will find that while the low price is great, shops will charge you installation, disposal fees, etc etc. and the price really is not that much cheaper..

In my experience..
If someone ripped me $300 on extra charges like that I'd be dropping plates! I'd just order them myself and toss the rims and tires in the truck, take them to one of the local down to earth guys and watch him put them on the rim. It's usually about $25 for mount/balance, maybe a few extra for this size wheel and $3 disposal fee per tire.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM

The Wheel Dr. has the ability to deal with all the aspects you mention. They repaired one of my wheels from a previous 'curbing'. They mostly deal with repairing low profile high cost wheels. I have complete confidence with them.

As for the position of the wheel, I understand. But what I don't know is that the sensors are in the proper position now! If you bought your Crossfire pre-owned, then you can't be sure of proper position to begin with.

But thanks for the heads-up. James
If you buy a low mileage pre-owned car with the original tires, you stand a good change of knowing where the original sensors are because you can't rotate the tires from their original location. Even if the person had a flat and replaced the tire it should still be in the same location on the car.
Right?
I bought my car with 6.5K on it with the original Michilens on it and had a wheel replaced by the dealer because of peeling, it was put back on the car in the same place it came from. It had to.
Peace
Paul

Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't think the All Season ContiTouringContact are directional. They can be rotated side to side. James

Last edited by James1549; 10-08-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:09 PM

I ordered the F1s on Monday night late from TireRack.com. Wednesday I come home and there they are hidden behind the bushes! James

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EAGLEF1.jpg (206.0 KB, 389 views)
Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They weren't hiding very good then!!

MikeR

Quick Reply: Eagle F1 All Season