Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Help!!! Looking For Brake Calipers

Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Looking For Brake Calipers

HAS ANYONE PURCHASED BRAKE CALIPERS FOR A SRT-6. I AM LOOKING FOR A COMPANY THAT SELLS STOCK CALIPERS THAT ARE POWDERCOATED BLACK. IM NOT REALLY LOOKING FOR AN UPGRADE, BUT I AM SWAPPING OUT MY PADS FOR ROTEX GOLD, I AM SWAPPING OUT MY ROTORS FOR SLOTTED AND DRILLED, UPGRADING MY BREAK LINES WITH goodridge STEEL BRAIDED LINES, JUST GOOGLED BRAKE CALIPERS AND ONLY FOUND ONE COMPANY (MHT) LOOKING FOR ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS. I CAN HAVE THE CAR DOWN SO I CANT JUST SEND IN MY CALIPERS TO GET POWDER COATED. WHAT HAS EVERY ONE ELSE DONE, AND CAN YOU PLEASE POST PICS.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Default Re: Help!!!!! Looking For Brake Calipers

I broke mine down when I installed my pads/brakelines/rotors and painted them with high heat cermaic paint. - If your going to keep them black - why bother or pay the extra $$

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...94&postcount=1

Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Help!!!!! Looking For Brake Calipers

I did the same thing, just got back from the dragon and they look spotless.......got the paint kit from R1

Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Default Re: Help!!! Looking For Brake Calipers

what preperation is involved when taking them apart,painting them, and them re-installing them. also how long does it take from start to finish

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 AM

actually the kit comes with a cleaner, but I put them in the parts washer, you can do this in a pan or bucket w/ some cleaner...but careful around the rubber parts, use the provided cleaner...make sure they are dry...mix the paint and the activator...comes w/ a small brush...paint away...you will need to paint them at least 2 times, I did 3...doesn't look like much paint, but I had paint left over after painting all 4...they look grt and the Dragon was a wook-out...

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I completely disassembled my calipers and powder coated them. The first one I coated the powder didn't take to the thick protective coating that comes on the caliper. So I roughed up the coating with a wire wheel and the powder coating stuck this time. I masked off the areas I didn't want coated with aluminum foil. The factory rubber coating on the calipers is VERY heat resistant, no smoking, burning while I cured the paint @ 400 degrees for 15 mins.

Disassembly is easy, remove the bleeder valve, use compressed air to blow the pistons out (be careful!).

Assembly was a bit of a pain getting the dust boot to go on while trying to get the piston back in.

Don't forget to bleed the brakes when you are done!

If I had to do it all over again I think I would have bought the caliper paint kit.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 AM

the only difference with the paint kit than what tighed 1 explained is you really don't have to even take them off...mine were off because I was adding metal lines and SBF, so I had to bleed the lines anyway...I think that is what you are doing as well, so since they are off, it is easier to clean and paint them...I went silver, but they have all the colors you could want...and they look factory or better...they will have to set 24 hrs before use, I did mine in the evening, driving it next evening..

Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 AM

GO TO DUPLI COLOR SIGHT THEY HAVE CALIPER PAINT AND CALIPER PAINT KITS HAVE USED THEM WIYH SUCCESS AND IS A QUAITY PRODUCT WWW.DUPLICOLOR.COM

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECT

Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM

Yep! That's the one.

You can get it at AutoZone.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:00 PM

does anyone know where i can buy stock replacements or rebuits, and get them powdercoated at the same place.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM

Good luck with that one.
I mentioned earlier that my first attempt at powder coating failed. I think this happened because one, I didn't prep the rubber coating properly and two, the reason the paint started to come off was because I bumped it hard against a table. That cause the paint to chip off. Once I prepped and re-coated the paint seemed to adhere just fine.
I do believe though that if the caliper were subject to a decent blow that the paint would crack/chip again because the thick rubber coating underneath would flex beyond the limits of the paints ability to flex.
Does that make sense????

I guess a pro would have removed all of the rubber coating. That's gonna be one heck of a job! $$$

I'm not a powder coater by trade but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Cool Re: Help!!! Looking For Brake Calipers

Originally Posted by srt-6novice
does anyone know where i can buy stock replacements or rebuits, and get them powdercoated at the same place.

Take a look on UK Ebay, there are some off a 2007 car, going very cheap!
Steve

Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srt-6novice
HAS ANYONE PURCHASED BRAKE CALIPERS FOR A SRT-6. I AM LOOKING FOR A COMPANY THAT SELLS STOCK CALIPERS THAT ARE POWDERCOATED BLACK. IM NOT REALLY LOOKING FOR AN UPGRADE, BUT I AM SWAPPING OUT MY PADS FOR ROTEX GOLD, I AM SWAPPING OUT MY ROTORS FOR SLOTTED AND DRILLED, UPGRADING MY BREAK LINES WITH goodridge STEEL BRAIDED LINES, JUST GOOGLED BRAKE CALIPERS AND ONLY FOUND ONE COMPANY (MHT) LOOKING FOR ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS. I CAN HAVE THE CAR DOWN SO I CANT JUST SEND IN MY CALIPERS TO GET POWDER COATED. WHAT HAS EVERY ONE ELSE DONE, AND CAN YOU PLEASE POST PICS.
I had one caliper replaced by the dealership, and the part was silver. (I guess they painted them at Karmann to hide the benz logo) I am considering painting, sanding them all silver, or replacing the remaining black ones.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Heck, I'm just trying to find the orange covers for them.....