Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

OEM Tires Problem AARRGGHH

Old 12-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Tires Problem AARRGGHH

I am a very cautious driver. By that I mean, I don't go flying over railroad tracks, over debris this road, etc, etc. Being there is no spare tire, I truly am aware of the road in front of me.

I drove my car this past Tuesday and came home. All is ok. I keep an eye glued on the dash for the low tire icon to make sure it's good. 3 days later, I go out to my car and the rear tire is flat. We felt around the inside outer wall of the tire and a bulge and a hole is felt. Now, the reason I am so hyped up about this is this is the THIRD tire for something to happen to while just normal driving. My tires are ALL in good shape.

I've had this happen to THREE different tires. The fist time, the passenger side rear tire just blew..a big gaping hole. I was lucky to get home. Cost me $350 dollars for new tire. Then sometime later, apparently I picked up a nail. That tire was able to be plugged. Ok, I can accept that. It happens.

Now, a third OEM tire has a hole in it. Toimmorw we take it in so a new one can be put on....prolly to tune of another $350 or more.

Has anyone else has trouble with factory OEM tires? I mean, I have hardly ever gotten a flat tire on any other vehicle. Right now, things are tough money wise and this is the pitts.

People wonder why I am so leary of taking my car on a long trip w/o the safely of a spare tire.
I've had the car for 3 years. Bought it when it had only 182 miles on it. The first 2 years, I commuted about 13 miles round trip a day. For the last year, I have been retired and do not drive it but about 3 or 4 times a week very short distances to run errands. Tread on 2 front tires is great. Tread on one rare is great because it's the one I replaced about 7 months ago. I think 3 flats in 3 years is ridiculous. I had my Miata 17 years with one flat and of course new tires all around when needed. One ONE flat because of a nail.

Sheesh

Sheesh

Last edited by Cissy; 12-26-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: OEM Tires Problem AARRGGHH

Not sure what your problem is. I did not like the Contis that were on my '04. I would not spend $350 for a full set of them, let alone on one. I bought a full set of Goodyear F1 all seasons from Tire Rack for $670 after their $50 rebate. I paid a local tire shop (Wheel Dr.) to mount and balance $15 a piece and they seem to be great so far.

James

Old 12-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James1549
Not sure what your problem is. I did not like the Contis that were on my '04. I would not spend $350 for a full set of them, let alone on one. I bought a full set of Goodyear F1 all seasons from Tire Rack for $670 after their $50 rebate. I paid a local tire shop (Wheel Dr.) to mount and balance $15 a piece and they seem to be great so far.

James
Thank you, James. I will look into that. We've been going to Wheel Works for a very long time and we like them. I think this time, I will see what other "brand" we can see about. Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had several run ins with nails our first 10k miles, and had to replace 2 rear tires. Look into road hazard insurance at Discount Tire. I wouldn't bother on a hundred dollar tire, but at $300 a pop the $50 seems worth it and has saved us a lot.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fastfunfor2
We had several run ins with nails our first 10k miles, and had to replace 2 rear tires. Look into road hazard insurance at Discount Tire. I wouldn't bother on a hundred dollar tire, but at $300 a pop the $50 seems worth it and has saved us a lot.
Thank you fastrun. I will look into that! I assume there's a monthy charge? Is it $50 for that charge?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Cissy,
I don't know if ya have the Continental All Season or Michelin PS2 summer tires but I can say that I got 35000 miles out of my PS2 summer tires driving the roads around Chicago which basically suck.
I guess it must be a case of bad luck but I hope your luck improves.
Both OEM tires are basically good overall but many here have found replacements that they find to be better.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Forum Regular

Thanks Gary! I will check into that as well...

Old 12-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I drive carefully, just like you. I have 32k on OEM Conti's including two trips from MI to CT. Otherwise mostly highway driving. Wear bars just starting to show on rears. I like the Conti's. Now I've probably jinxed myself.

I may replace them with a high speed summer tire since I have decided never to drive these cars in the snow nor do I have plans to race them.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goldwing
I drive carefully, just like you. I have 32k on OEM Conti's including two trips from MI to CT. Otherwise mostly highway driving. Wear bars just starting to show on rears. I like the Conti's. Now I've probably jinxed myself.

I may replace them with a high speed summer tire since I have decided never to drive these cars in the snow nor do I have plans to race them.
Nah, you didn't jinx yourself. Don't think like that! My car came with Michelin's....yesterday, it cost me a grand total of $491. The tire alone is $422. Anyway, with same day service, I am back in business. Now both rears have been replaced. The first one 1 1/2 years ago, now this one. Sheesh.

When the time comes and I am flush (after economy crap), I will consider replacing all four with something more durable. Hell, I'd be willing to pay extra for run flats if someone ever decided to make them which is doubtful for our cars. At least I'd feel better

Old 12-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have under 10k on mine and they will need to be replaced this spring. Car had 300 miles on it when I got it 3 1/2 years ago. All I can say is that must have been 300 hard miles because I think I've spun those tires 2 maybe 3 times and that was in slippery weather.
Pat

Old 12-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Forum Regular

I just went out to my SRT today and found the right front tire flat. I tried the TireFit system, and...nothing. The damage was too bad. I hit a really bad pothole on Delaware Ave. heading down to the Flyers game last Saturday. Then I noticed a bubble in the tire after driving home from my parent's house yesterday. It looks like there are multiple punctures...I'm surprised I was able to drive on it for so long.

Anyway, I was about to get rid of the Pilot Sport PS2's anyway since Philly winters are not conducive to summer tires, so I ordered Eagle F1 A/S' from Tire Rack. I have a damaged tire warranty as part of my 5 year aftermarket warranty, so I may try to get a new PS2 anyway. SO I'll have 2 19's with 8000 miles on them and one 18". Wonderful.

I've heards pretty good things about the F1's from people I know who have a Vette and a Trans Am. They have to be better in the snow than non-AS tires, so what the hey.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Forum Regular

I hear you Pat..

Philly, my rear tire has develped a bubble as well before I found it flat. I didn't hit a pot hole. IMO, this is ridiculous. I know Michelin has a great reputation, but somehow their low profile tire is not making me a happy camper.

BTW, do you have a Tire Rack store or did you order them online or from somewhere else? I am sure that San Jose, CA had Tire Rack stores, but we can't seem to find one here anymore. Hmm...

Anyway, after $491 dollars, I'm on the road again. sheeeesh

Old 12-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Philly I'm thinking about those too. The Michelins are too expensive for what you get and I should get more than 10-12k out of them, especially since I don't go out and prove I can spin my tires.
I'll see what tire Rack and Cosco have going in the spring and make a decision. I wish I'd have hit Cosco's sale a few weeks ago, I was already with my credit card and my future son in laws member number and they had taken the sale down that afternoon, missed it by a few hours.
Be safe - Pat

Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Goldwing

FYI, check the minimum operating temp rating on the tire. It is not just the tread for snow, it is the rubber compound for lower temps that differentiate the All-season from the Summer tires.
If you plan on driving until the first snow that could take you into November there in Michigan.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Actually now they are sayin that tires have a shelf life ! Regardless of the miles on the tire, the thing is only good for so many years. I had never heard that until just this year !

Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Hello,

I am with James1549 on this one. You could not get me to pay $20.00 per tire for the OEM Conti's. I put about 5k on them before I replaced them with BFW KDWIIs. No punctures for me after 40,000 miles with either set.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always check your tire pressure, especially getting them back from any shop. Had the car at Firestone one time and 1 tire had 60 psi in it! More than likely I would have had a hole in it indeed, so I check my tires quite often. Better safe than sorry!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I turned from the road into a parking lot to fast. Just the tapered concrete entrance to the parking lot caused a air bubble knot to form on the tires skinny sidewall. Had to replace that hardly used conti.tire. When my tread wears down,these wheels are coming off. Will be putting 17" all around with tires that have decent height sidewalls. Plus they will ride so much smoother. Squirrel Crusher

Old 12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mimi05SRT6
Always check your tire pressure, especially getting them back from any shop. Had the car at Firestone one time and 1 tire had 60 psi in it! More than likely I would have had a hole in it indeed, so I check my tires quite often. Better safe than sorry!
I also check my tires on a regular basis. My indicator light comes on when I lose even l psi. My eyes are glued to that dash, too, for any tire abnormality concerning tire pressure.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Squirrel Crusher
I turned from the road into a parking lot to fast. Just the tapered concrete entrance to the parking lot caused a air bubble knot to form on the tires skinny sidewall. Had to replace that hardly used conti.tire. When my tread wears down,these wheels are coming off. Will be putting 17" all around with tires that have decent height sidewalls. Plus they will ride so much smoother. Squirrel Crusher
I hear you, Squirrel. I love the look of the low profiles, but they are so "iffy" when it comes to less than perfect roads. Here in San Jose, California, our roads are a disaster. Very bad. I know where all the bad spots are on the roads I frequent, thus avoiding them. BUT schtuff still happens

What happened to you is ridiculous....

Quick Reply: OEM Tires Problem AARRGGHH