Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Weird noise close to front wheel

Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise close to front wheel

Hi,

I have now 15500 miles on my 2006 xfire. I have done once the oil change and filter change and I am going there again in 300 Miles. (computer says have to go).

The problem I have now is that when I am driving at 18 miles per hour on a cobbled street I hear a noise from one of the front wheels. I think it's from the right side. The sound is like "clac clac clac"... like some part is moving when the tire is jumping. I have no idea of what it might be. And When i am running at higher speeds, like 50 or even in asphalt I hear nothing. The thing is that i feel nothing on the wheel. just the noise and it disturbes me a lot.

Could it possible be the ball joint??? Or what could it be? And what can be the price to change the parts you can suggest?

Have someone had the same kind of problem? I did a search on it in the forum and did see anything that refers to the same kind of problem.

I am going there as soon as possible to change the oil so I hope they can tell me what it is... but can you inform me first.

Best regards

Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Weird noise close to front wheel

Someone an idea`???????

Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM

Maybe it sounds like you just might have a rock stuck in one of the grooves or treads of the tire.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Forum Regular

I have check the tire, taken the small rocks and everything of but it stll makes the same sound... Like something was loose and two metal parts were hitting against each other....

Any idea???

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM

I have the same noise it comes from the front passenger side area and you can hear it in the car i havent figures it out yet.
I know that a few other members had a noise similar to this and it was the front passenger door speaker that was loose.You may want to check this out.
The other thing i was going to check was the tin guard on the back of the front brakes its a splash guard it may be loose just some ideas.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the best thing to do here is to get the car up in the air and start by visually inspecting the steering links, struts, wheels, wheel wells. If nothing jumps up and grabs you, start shaking things up, sometimes a good shake will reveal the culprit. I've even resulted to hammering on stuff with a rubber mallet, although I wouldn't advise that unless you know what you're hammering on. Last result grab a wrench and start checking fastner torques.
Finding this kinda stuff can sometimes drive ya half looney and sometimes it jumps up right before your eyes !!!

Good Luck