Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

New brakes grinding on new rotors

Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes grinding on new rotors

Hello. I am by no means a mechanic but I have replaced the lower control arm bearings and several other parts on my crossfire. I have also done brakes on other cars with no issues. Anyways my issue is that my brakes are grinding on my rotors...I had just replaced the brakes and noticed the grinding so I ordered new rotors suspecting the badly scored rotors were to blame...anyways got them in and installed and drove it maybe 100 miles and the grinding noise has not disappeared. It is a fairly loud sound and when I jack up the car and turn the wheel it does not turn freely and the brakes clearly rub on the new rotors. Tried recompressing the piston and thag didnt work. When spinning the rotor you can see it wobble slightly..that is with the newly installed on and the old one and another spare I had not installed yet...thinking maybe the bearings might be causing the wobble I replaced the as well...still terrible grind. So...I dont know what to do..it wobbles and grinds and ive replaced everything I can think of except the hub and the bar the wheel spins on...also what is that called and could the bar be bent? Ive searched the forum and found nothing similair...some help would be appreciated..I hate handing money to the dealer

Old 07-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: New brakes grinding on new rotors

Could the noise come from the opposite axle you are working on? Once you compress the piston back in it's bore and before you press the brake pedal, is the wheel free to spin?

James

Old 07-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Roty135
Hello. I am by no means a mechanic but I have replaced the lower control arm bearings and several other parts on my crossfire. I have also done brakes on other cars with no issues. Anyways my issue is that my brakes are grinding on my rotors...I had just replaced the brakes and noticed the grinding so I ordered new rotors suspecting the badly scored rotors were to blame...anyways got them in and installed and drove it maybe 100 miles and the grinding noise has not disappeared. It is a fairly loud sound and when I jack up the car and turn the wheel it does not turn freely and the brakes clearly rub on the new rotors. Tried recompressing the piston and thag didnt work. When spinning the rotor you can see it wobble slightly..that is with the newly installed on and the old one and another spare I had not installed yet...thinking maybe the bearings might be causing the wobble I replaced the as well...still terrible grind. So...I dont know what to do..it wobbles and grinds and ive replaced everything I can think of except the hub and the bar the wheel spins on...also what is that called and could the bar be bent? Ive searched the forum and found nothing similair...some help would be appreciated..I hate handing money to the dealer

Since we can't see what you have done it's difficult to troubleshoot but if it didn't grind before replacing your pads and did afterward, I have to assume that you did something incorrectly. Your rotor should not have a slight wobble under any circumstance. I would remove everything, clean everything then very carefully redo everything, checking everything three times before moving on. You should find the problem. Check and follow the procedure in the service manual step by step, don't assume anything just because you have done brakes before. When you're finished, I'm betting things work.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 PM

Alright thanks for the quick replys...the grinding was present before doing any work. And remains after bearings rotors and brakes. As far as other axle goes...no its def this one because when I jack it up and spin it it catches on the brake...as far as before pumping the brake...it spins more freely before pressing brakes...seems like you might know something about this? If so im all ears. Ive checked all my work two or three times so im lost. As far as the wobble I have broken it down taken the hub off inspected the bearings and cant seem to find any issues other than when I put the brand new rotor on and look at it while it spins it appears to wobble . It's driving me nuts :l

Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Location ? Perhaps some knowledgeable forum member can get another set of eyes on it ?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Alright thanks for the quick replys...the grinding was present before doing any work. And remains after bearings rotors and brakes. As far as other axle goes...no its def this one because when I jack it up and spin it it catches on the brake...as far as before pumping the brake...it spins more freely before pressing brakes...seems like you might know something about this? If so im all ears. Ive checked all my work two or three times so im lost. As far as the wobble I have broken it down taken the hub off inspected the bearings and cant seem to find any issues other than when I put the brand new rotor on and look at it while it spins it appears to wobble . It's driving me nuts :l
You said in another post that you had hit a curb and damaged the front suspension. I think you have bent the wheel spindle.
You should have mentioned all of what happened before you did the brakes, as some of us do not have a crystal ball.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:13 PM

Hmm I hadnt mentioned the previous issues because It hadnt given me.any issues in 2+ years. As far as the spindle could it be repaired or will I have to replace the whole knuckle?

Old 07-10-2015, 07:31 PM

Hmm I hadnt mentioned the previous issues because It hadnt given me.any issues in 2+ years. As far as the spindle could it be repaired or will I have to replace the whole knuckle?
I'll have to go back to school or something, I thought that back in May of this year you posted that you had hit a curb again.
Now you tell us that the noise was there before you did the brake job.
I'm sorry but life is too short to go back and forth with the facts changing in every post, good luck.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'll have to go back to school or something, I thought that back in May of this year you posted that you had hit a curb again.
Now you tell us that the noise was there before you did the brake job.
I'm sorry but life is too short to go back and forth with the facts changing in every post, good luck.

180's right, you have more issues than you mentioned. Which leads me to observe that many of the problems that are brought to light on this forum are self induced. Good luck.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:59 PM

Sorry for the confusion I thought you were talking about the post from when I bought the car with a bent control arm. I had reparied that 2 years ago. I only hit one curb which was several months ago...fixed the control arm a second time and had no issues till recently. Seemingly out of the blue. Today I took the new rotor of the right side to see if it did the same thing on the other side and it does do the same and ive never hit anything on drivers side. I understand the chance the spindle may be bent something on the passanger side but I dont get why it's doing the same thing on the other side. Im guessing If its not the spindle on both sides that it would have to be the bearings but I put the new ones in exactly the same as I took them out. Guess it's time for a mechanic because im not getting anywhere here.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry for the confusion I thought you were talking about the post from when I bought the car with a bent control arm. I had reparied that 2 years ago. I only hit one curb which was several months ago...fixed the control arm a second time and had no issues till recently. Seemingly out of the blue. Today I took the new rotor of the right side to see if it did the same thing on the other side and it does do the same and ive never hit anything on drivers side. I understand the chance the spindle may be bent something on the passanger side but I dont get why it's doing the same thing on the other side. Im guessing If its not the spindle on both sides that it would have to be the bearings but I put the new ones in exactly the same as I took them out. Guess it's time for a mechanic because im not getting anywhere here.
Help me out here, are you saying you took just the rotor from the noisy side and put it on the quiet side and that side is now noisy? All the lugs from the same side are still on the same side? Wheels still on the same side? Hubs/bearings still on the same side? The ONLY thing you moved was the rotor? Forget spindle issues you found the culprit. Are the left and right rotors the same size? Slotted rotors are directional or side specific, are these drilled or slotted?

Last edited by KDW4Him; 07-11-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:26 PM

I just installed drilled and slotted rotors and immediately they made a grinding noise. I think I may have put them on the wrong sides. Nowhere on the rotors or their packaging did they say anything about being directional. I will swap them tomorrow and let you know if that fixed the problem.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 PM

I swapped sides and the sound is still there. Does anyone know why this may be the case? I didn't have this "grinding" noise with the older smooth rotors.
The sound is most noticable when braking hard (and its not really "noise" per se, it a "feel" I get from the pedal). I do hear a low grinding sound but I also feel it in the pedal.
Anyone experience this?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by chilleary
I swapped sides and the sound is still there. Does anyone know why this may be the case? I didn't have this "grinding" noise with the older smooth rotors.
The sound is most noticable when braking hard (and its not really "noise" per se, it a "feel" I get from the pedal). I do hear a low grinding sound but I also feel it in the pedal.
Anyone experience this?
Fronts, rears, both?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:46 PM

I mainly hear it from the front. I have installed the slotted and drilled rotor on both the front and the back and recently swapped sides based on someone saying that the rotors are directional.
The slots are curved and now face "back", meaning, as the rotor turns clockwise, the slots are being "blown back" like this )
Before I had the rotors such that the slots were "facing forward" like this (
Hope that makes sense.
The sound didn't change.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you take some pics please?
Of the pads and rotor, so we can see how they are placed, might be alittle more help?
I have seen pads come unglued within a few miles after install.

Not much of a fan of slotted rotors, I like drilled alot, but slotted glazes the pads and greatly reduces life of pad, but they will stop good.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 AM

2005 stock Crossfire with identical troubles, speedometer sits at 0, Brake + ESP + BAS lights all illuminated and spoiler permanently deployed. I have spent 3 weeks reading everything online. I have had no time to get to attempting a proper look at the issues but I have pulled two codes (P0281 and P0291)

Based on the feedback from those who have managed to resolve issues of identical nature I am planning to:
A) Replace battery
B) Replace Speed sensors
C) Relay control module
D) Light my car on fire

Thoughts ?
Anyone have some solid advice for actually resolving this ?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Adamjacquesjiujiteiro

2005 stock Crossfire with identical troubles, speedometer sits at 0, Brake + ESP + BAS lights all illuminated and spoiler permanently deployed. I have spent 3 weeks reading everything online. I have had no time to get to attempting a proper look at the issues but I have pulled two codes (P0281 and P0291)

Based on the feedback from those who have managed to resolve issues of identical nature I am planning to:
A) Replace battery
B) Replace Speed sensors
C) Relay control module
D) Light my car on fire

Thoughts ?
Anyone have some solid advice for actually resolving this ?

Try the battery first if it is old, get it load tested first though.