Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Time for new shocks

Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Time for new shocks

Great info LantanaTX. I'm about 15k away from buying shocks, but this baby is getting bookmarked. Thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

KYB instalation tips:

Do not cut the band holding the shock compressed until you are ready to install them! They have a lot more nitrogen pressure than the stock shock. the good news is that they extend very slowly. Have the old shock out and the hardware ready to go on before cutting the shipping band. As soon as you cut the band throw on the washer and then the rubber bushing, quickly postision the shock and insert the lower bolt, then hold the shock steady and watch it go up while aiming the top stud through the hole in the fender well. Failing to do et them in right makes it very hard to compress and do it again. In the rear you have to have the car on jack stands and remove three bolts, upright, sway bar and shock bolts with a floor jack underneath. then use the floor jack to let the lower control arm down slowly. Put in the shock and then jack the control arm back up while inserting bolts as they line up.

About the rubber bushings:

KYB uses a thicker rubber than stock. If you have a lowered car, I would suggest that you pull the rubber off of the old shock and use that on the KYB, then to make up for the difference in thickness, use the thicker KYB rubber on top so that you can tighten them down without bottoming out on the threads.

Hope this helps the DIY'ers

Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular

I'll definitely have questions when I get mine!

I bought mine from www.buykyb.com

Their a bit slow on the shipping process but you can't beat free shipping!

Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you think we can get some kyb agx shocks that is what i had and like them since i got dial the amount of stiffness. i was able to cross reference a set of honda accord shocks for my acura vigor.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by faiz23
do you think we can get some kyb agx shocks that is what i had and like them since i got dial the amount of stiffness. i was able to cross reference a set of honda accord shocks for my acura vigor.
You could give KYB a call and see if they have them in the right length with the right ends on them.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Faiz, I would like this adjustability as well, if you discover anything that willl work with the XF, please keep us posted.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know we can slap koni's so we have an option, i do not like the coil over as there is too much work to make them fit and not bang on suspension items.

http://www.needswings.com/Product.as...d-5ed47a5e87df

Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would these kyb's be an upgrade or just a lateral move for a SRT6? Just wondering if ours are already monotube or do we share the same shocks as the NA guys.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM

Sorry, Koni all the way.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
Would these kyb's be an upgrade or just a lateral move for a SRT6? Just wondering if ours are already monotube or do we share the same shocks as the NA guys.
you can call the dealer and see if they have a different part number than the N/A. I personally think the KYB's are a great shock and better than the Sacks shocks my car came with.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LantanaTX
you can call the dealer and see if they have a different part number than the N/A. I personally think the KYB's are a great shock and better than the Sacks shocks my car came with.
Ditto!

Installed mine the other day! Loving them! They do run a little stiff 0-40mph but it's a good stiff. It handles bumps very well! It is true that the bumps that used to plant me in my seat are hardly even cared for anymore!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:02 AM

NA and SRT have different shock PN#s.

Even Coupe vs. roadster have different shock PN#s.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just installed my KYBs today. Nice difference in ride stiffness. The 0-40 bounciness is very tolerable but the bang from the potholes are gone. These are much nicer then stock. Got mine from the Ebay link. Just under $300 installed. Very sweet upgrade!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 AM

I just ordered the kyb shocks form rock auto for 232.50 for all tires. I think my ome shocks are shot because the front bumper scrapes the ground when i drive throught dips in the highway. I have 67,000 miles on the car so it was time. Thanks Lantana I was looking for an alternative to the high priced koni shocks.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Are these KYB's you guys are using?

97-02 SLK230
Front part #KG4731 and Rear part #KG4732?

If so thats a good price here:
2002 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK230 Shock Absorber

Old 07-18-2009, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Are these KYB's you guys are using?

97-02 SLK230
Front part #KG4731 and Rear part #KG4732?

If so thats a good price here:
2002 MERCEDES-BENZ SLK230 Shock Absorber
those are the part numbers i ordered. But rock auto is out of 4732 I got them from ajusa.com for about the same price.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:17 AM

Just REMEMBER Do not cut the strap that keeps them compressed until you have the shock in position so you can guide it. As soon as you cut the strap push the bottom bolt through and the shock will start extending and you guide the top through the mounting how in the body. The shock will extend very slowely but you will not be able to compress it by hand if you mess up. I didn't realize this on the forst one I installed and it was a real pain.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 AM

I just installed the rear shocks. They feel much better then the stock. When I went for a test drive rite after installing the shocks I heard a whistling noise. Has anyone heard noises after installing the shocks?
Has anyone installed KYB shocks on a crossfire that’s not lowered?

When I messed up and I had to compress the shocks I just aimed the shock at floor and pressed down on it.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Forum Regular

install question!
did you use both rubber bushings that came with the shock? ( one on top the shock before letting it go through the top hole ; then placing the other bushing and washer on top (engine compartment). i'm ready to install mine and would like to get it right the first time. and my car is not lowered! Thanks for your inputs!
James

Old 04-25-2014, 09:57 PM

I bought the KYB’s and I have a couple of questions about the installation. The bottom of the shock does not have the rubber grommets on each side like the stock shock, should I install them without the rubber? There are also no bands holding the shock together but there is a plastic boot over the top of the shock, is the band under that? Last there are two large rubber grommets do I put then at the top?

Quick Reply: Time for new shocks