Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

After market rim problems

Old 05-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market rim problems

First, I am not a really big or mechanically inclined on cars. Second, I have a 2005 limited crossfire and I recently purchased a new set of Ruff rims. After I had the tires mounted and balanced I tried to install them myself. I noticed that their is a space between the hub and the rim. So, I purchsed a set of centric hub rings.(70x66.65) I installed the rings and noticed that the car seems to have a unbalanced feel and makes a sort of metal on metal grinding sound. My question is, do I need to put spacers or do something else to fix this prolblem? I appreciate any and all feed back and support. Thank you.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Re: After market rim problems

your factory wheels' offset is front 35 rear 22 find out what offset the new rims are then take a stock lug bolt stick through one of the holes where the lug goes through the rim,,, measure how far the lug bolt sticks out now do the same on the new rims, if your lug bolt is too long it will rub,grind, tearup the em brakes let me know this and maybe i can help. jim

Old 05-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Jim, Thank you. I appreciate your suggestion. I will try it today. I have a friend who works at a Chrysler dealership and he suggested that I should maybe try a billet adapter to get a snug fit on the new rim to the hub. Does that sound like it might work? This project, I thought was going to be quick and easy. But it has turned out to be very frustrating. Jim, thanks again.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Forum Regular

your going to need to purchase shorter lugs. make sure that the lugs you buy are the correct type, they have Acorn and Ball seat lugs. another thing to think about would be spacers. i needed them for the rear of my car to correct the offset. you can get a good deal on a set from ebay. i would have to recommend bringing the car back to the shop and have them determine the correct length and style lug for you application. hope this helps! make sure everything is correct otherwize you can damage your brakes.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by kandter
Jim, Thank you. I appreciate your suggestion. I will try it today. I have a friend who works at a Chrysler dealership and he suggested that I should maybe try a billet adapter to get a snug fit on the new rim to the hub. Does that sound like it might work? This project, I thought was going to be quick and easy. But it has turned out to be very frustrating. Jim, thanks again.
yes if the spacers and lugs fit then the rings must fit aftermarket wheels and the car they are called centering rings, jim

Old 05-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Let's see some pics of the wheels! Perhaps, we've seen them before and others with them may have had the same problems.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 PM

I purchased ruff rims model r930. i don't have a picture because they are in my friends garage. Sorry

Old 05-24-2009, 10:16 PM

is this it?

HPO=high positive offset
MED= medium offset
IMO, I would still request the offset information ,if they can't give it to you/ don't know it, I would shop somewhere else

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ruff%20racing930machinB.jpg (44.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by amx1397; 05-24-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:35 AM

jim, the offset is 35 front and 45 rear. not a big rim guy, also not sure if it's positive. Does this help?

Old 05-25-2009, 10:55 AM

I purchsed a set of centric hub rings.(70x66.65) I installed the rings and noticed that the car seems to have a unbalanced feel and makes a sort of metal on metal grinding sound. My question is, do I need to put spacers or do something else to fix this prolblem? I appreciate any and all feed back and support. Thank you. first make sure the rings above fit into the rim snug,,, then remove and make sure it fits the car snug,,,,,
the 35 in the front is ok ,,,,,as long as the brake caliber does not rub,, ,,,to check that put the wheel on with 3 lug bolts and rotate it slow not to damage the rim.,, now for the rear ,sounds like you will need a 20 or 25mm hubcentric wheel spacers and i think at that time every thing will fit,with the stock lug bolts. read this one https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...l-spacers.html I can get you the hubcentric spacers my cost is 65 ea + shipping,
when you rotate listen for anything grinding or any noise,, if the lug bolts are too long they will hit the em brake in the rear. note if you havn't driven in a while you will here the rust on the brake rotors ,, jim

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 AM

also with the 2" lip you have on the rims you may not need the spacers but will need shorter lug bolts rear as newcrossfire said" make sure that the lugs you buy are the correct type, they have Acorn and Ball seat lugs."that is why i said put a lug through the stock and measure and do the same for the new wheels. jim

Old 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Guys, I talked to the shop where I purchsed my new rims, and they have a spacer/converter for my car. which will pull the wheel out a little which I would like. And, it will convert it to a studed hub. I can't thank each and everyone enough for your information and suggestions. I hope this will correct my problems. Thanks again. John

Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by kandter
Guys, I talked to the shop where I purchsed my new rims, and they have a spacer/converter for my car. which will pull the wheel out a little which I would like. And, it will convert it to a studed hub. I can't thank each and everyone enough for your information and suggestions. I hope this will correct my problems. Thanks again. John
I hope you aren't going to be racing with the studs in place of bolts. for everyday use they are fine,, just tell then to double nut each one and make sure it is tight in the hub, jim

Old 05-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Jim, I don't race. It's just for every day driving. Thanks for the advice and concern.