Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Squealing still.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squealing still.

OK, I've had my Crossfire for about two weeks now and the brakes/wheels starting squealing after the 2nd time I had it on the road.

I've taken it to Merchant's and they removed some rust and turned the rotors. After which the sound returned within one day. To my knowledge the car has the stock rotors and new pads. The specific problem can be described as:

1) When the wheels are moving (especially at low speeds) there is a metal on metal sound without applying the brakes. At high speed it's not as noticeable. When the windows are up, you can't hear it at all, but this is not a solution.

2) When applying the brakes the sound described above fades but is replaced by the squealing sound from the brakes squeezing the calipers. There is also some pulsing of the brake pedal while stopping.

Don't get me wrong, I love this car but I traded in a perfectly good car with no problems in hopes of UPGRADING to the Crossfire and it's been a nightmare. There are other small problems that are commonly found with used cars that I am fully prepared to deal with but I'm not a mechanic so I can't self diagnose the problem.

Warped rotors? Wheel bearings? Where do I begin?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Squealing still.

Had exact same problem with my roadster just after purchasing a few months back. I was told that that rotors on the Xfire should not be turned but replaced - there is much debate about this. Anyway, once rear rotors were replaced no more squealing.

Overall I am very happy with car and I am sure you will be too once this issue is resolved.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are getting 'pulsing' when you apply the breaks, you likely have some rotor warp.... odd that turning them didnt clean them up though... maybe your shop didnt get them on square before turning... who knows... you can get new rotors fairly reasonable..... have you isolated the noise to front or back?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear rotors were replaced, pads were re-surfaced. The sound is practically gone now.