Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Anyone DIY the front K-MAC kit?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone DIY the front K-MAC kit?

Hey all, anyone install the front K-MAC kit themselves? I have searched and seen rear installs and reference to installers saying the front was a PITA but no DIY on the front.

I thought it would be pretty straight forward but having these beasts in hand it looks like it could turn into a **** me off big time type job

In short newb doable or find a shop?

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone DIY the front K-MAC kit?

The difference between the front and the back installation is that you have a bigger job getting the old bushes out. Therefore you need to remove the lower control arms and use a press to do that job with the removal tools that came with the kit.

The rest of the job is pretty straightforward, but an alignment will be necessary after it's done. Take the time to work with the aligner to establish different camber and caster settings and mark where the bolts will be sitting for them so you can do further adjustments without going to the aligner.

And do the bolts up TIGHT!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, looking at the service manual a special tool is required to get the arm off (ball joint puller) I do not have this or a press. Might try to take a look tonight but if it looks rough I will most likely end up at a shop. Thanks again!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing this, this weekend.
Will make a DIY out of it.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Airscape you can rent the ball joint removal tool from most part stores. And yes it is a PITA to get the old bushing out.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by rmaier
Airscape you can rent the ball joint removal tool from most part stores. And yes it is a PITA to get the old bushing out.
I have done this on another vehicle so hopefully I will manage.
You think it will be possible to lift car, take off tire, have lift underneath arm, lower it somewhat, press old bushing out, press newone in. Lift arm and put bolt in.

?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM

I removed the whole arm and did it off the car. I suppose you could do it that way.......but it'd be more difficult.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by rmaier
I removed the whole arm and did it off the car. I suppose you could do it that way.......but it'd be more difficult.
remove the whole arm, then you need to take off the springs and a lot of other stuff right?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM

yep.......

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Anyway you do it ....it is not for the faint of heart. And the tool they send to help remove the old bushings is not very useful either. I had the devil of a time doing that part.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Forum Regular

I ended up going with a shop and ended up having to call another one that had done it before for advice when they ran into problems. I would say taking the whole arm of is the best bet. It's a ***** off the car so on the car may be a nightmare.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 PM

I am going to have a press that usually is on a table. Going to make it portal, have it underneath the car. Is it not only to press it out? I have done pn other cars...

What else is to remove if to get whole arm off?
Springs
Then?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FUBU
I am going to have a press that usually is on a table. Going to make it portal, have it underneath the car. Is it not only to press it out? I have done pn other cars...

What else is to remove if to get whole arm off?
Springs
Then?
Not sure of everything. Download the service manual from the SRT section if you don't have it already as it has the steps for removing the arm. I want to say when I looked at the process you also needed a ball joint puller to get the arm off.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:44 PM

The old bush removal tool was a bit low-tech, but about six months ago K-Mac revised the tool so it's more efficient. The flat washer was replaced with a sort of cone.

You should be able to use the tool under the car without too much difficulty.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Oh yeah, you MUST do everything up tight when you've got your adjustment set. The only problems you'll ever have with these kits is if you don't do them up tight enough.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by speedfiend
Oh yeah, you MUST do everything up tight when you've got your adjustment set. The only problems you'll ever have with these kits is if you don't do them up tight enough.
Got any nm specifics?
Many thanks for all the answers. Have you got a photo of the new tool? I think i got the plain washer..

Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 PM

When I did mine I bought an extra set of control arms for 50 bucks shipped. I the replaced the ball joints since the steering felt a little loose even after swapping the damper. I used a press to pop out one set of bushings and the front ones came out by hand, then used a hacksaw blade to cut the sleeve out that was left behind. When trying to use the press to get the sleeve out it was a huge pain since the lip is so small and the tools that come with it pretty much suck. I used a press to put the new ones in which took maybe 5 min. After that it was a quick swap, I just used a heavy mallet to pound out the old ball joints since I was using new ones. It's pretty straight forward if you have access to a press, just more challenging if you don't.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:49 PM

Sorry, I don't have pics, but the new tool goes over the small bit of rubber that's outside the steel outer sleeve and that no longer gets compressed in the process... this was a problem as it pushed out towards the bore in the arm and jammed it all up.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Where did you guys get your Kmac kits from?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JesseJamessrt6
Where did you guys get your Kmac kits from?
I was lucky and got one here in the marketplace for a good deal. The cheapest place I know of is 380 (msrp) but they do free shipping. If you order from kmac directly you end up paying over 400 because the shipping is so much.

Here is the link, the picture is of the rear kit but the part number / description is for the front.
Kmac 502016J this was posted by another member some time back, I think they have promos and coupons sometimes so you may be able to save a few bucks that way as well but you would have to wait. I suggest checking MBWorld for sale section as well, I have seen them there from time to time.

Quick Reply: Anyone DIY the front K-MAC kit?