Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Who Has the Oldest, Original TPMS System that Still Works?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who Has the Oldest, Original TPMS System that Still Works?

The Lil' Rd Buggy was built in March, 2005. My TPMS system started giving indications of failure about 3 years ago, 2013. Age 8 years.

I found that all 4 sensors still work, but they have "drifted" upwards in median range. All of them.

They now will remain unlit if they are over 36 PSIG. And, yes, I checked them all. I was bored one afternoon.

How's about the rest of you?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Who Has the Oldest, Original TPMS System that Still Works?

Mine all still work at 33 PSIG - same age as ur's

Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Mine all still work at 33 PSIG - same age as ur's
Thanks, bud. I wonder (Who Wrote the book of Love? No.) how many '04's

Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 AM

Glad we don't have inspections here in MOFN, AL, when mine finally do fail, I'm gonna pluck the wire.

NOTE: If you weren't aware, the wheels are designed to have the TPMS sensors, if you remove them and just install normal tire valves, then you are gonna end up with a big gob of stick-on weights in order to balance the wheels.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine still work(04)too. Now thanks to ala_fire, I have to think about melting down my fishing "sinkers".

Old 08-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The used car dealer I purchased from installed a used sensor but couldn't get the TPMS light to turn off after a Chrsyler dealer did relearn prior to my purchase. I went and got four new Mopar TPMS sensors for $125 and also replaced the Homelink garage unit (Ebay $70). Also got four new BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S tires.

Turned out Palmer Chrysler (Roswell GA) couldn't get the DRB III to communicate in order to relearn. Their tech determined that a wire behind the OBDII port had broken. After fixing wire, the scan tool would commiunicate and car relearned successfully and light turned off. Cost $120 for repair wire and relearn.

The light did go on yesterday (first time in 3 months) but car hadn't been driven for a month. After starting several times it went off and I drove to service station and made sure pressure was 32 front/33 rear. One tire may have been 29-30 psi, drove around some and no issue with light. Will check again today.

Last edited by Rpaczan; 08-13-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:08 PM
Received 523 Likes on 416 Posts

System is original on my 2007 Coupe & still fully functional.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

04 # 7289 still working

Old 08-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

NOTE: If you weren't aware, the wheels are designed to have the TPMS sensors, if you remove them and just install normal tire valves, then you are gonna end up with a big gob of stick-on weights in order to balance the wheels.

Hey George, I just eliminated my TPMS sensors from my rims when I bought new tires. Only one had a lot (I call it a lot, 7 little squares with sticky in one location in a line) which the guy said was 1 3/4 oz total (each square was 1/4 oz). The location of the seven 1/4 oz squares were in no relation to the TPMS mounting. The others were 4 squares or less, and very few on each wheel. Heard that before about leaving the TPMS installed, but the wheels/tires on mine didn't pan out for being out of whack. On my test drive, smooth as glass with no problems, AND I watched ('0'/'0') during the balancing, so I know the wheels/tires were OK and balanced. I had to weigh the fact many shops want a rebuild kit for the TPMS when they do tire replacements on so equipped vehicles, so I just bought stubby stems (below the plane of the rim/tire, they don't stick out).

My light was coming on occasionally last winter, and pressures were up to specs. I figured one was weak (or more) and decided to eliminate the entire setup. Had done the bypass when the light was coming/going way prior to finding the sale for buying/installing new tires. I only wish the installed TPMS sensors had 'replaceable' batteries!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:50 PM

The reason I posted that was the set of SE wheels that I used to have had had the TPMS removed
( not sure if the SE even has TPMS ), at any rate they all had the big glob of weights.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hey George, I just eliminated my TPMS sensors from my rims when I bought new tires. Only one had a lot (I call it a lot, 7 little squares with sticky in one location in a line) which the guy said was 1 3/4 oz total (each square was 1/4 oz). The location of the seven 1/4 oz squares were in no relation to the TPMS mounting. The others were 4 squares or less, and very few on each wheel. Heard that before about leaving the TPMS installed, but the wheels/tires on mine didn't pan out for being out of whack. On my test drive, smooth as glass with no problems, AND I watched ('0'/'0') during the balancing, so I know the wheels/tires were OK and balanced. I had to weigh the fact many shops want a rebuild kit for the TPMS when they do tire replacements on so equipped vehicles, so I just bought stubby stems (below the plane of the rim/tire, they don't stick out).

My light was coming on occasionally last winter, and pressures were up to specs. I figured one was weak (or more) and decided to eliminate the entire setup. Had done the bypass when the light was coming/going way prior to finding the sale for buying/installing new tires. I only wish the installed TPMS sensors had 'replaceable' batteries!
Arado, at my suggestion took a sensor apart and exposed the battery. It is a common sized battery and should be easy to replace. He figured it was not worth the effort but a penny saved is a penny earned.
I intend to attempt to service a sensor if I can get my hands on one.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 PM

Glad we don't have inspections here in MOFN, AL, when mine finally do fail, I'm gonna pluck the wire.

Yep. Me too. Digs at me, though. I like things to work as intended.
As you know...

Old 08-14-2016, 01:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

04 Build 10/03 All are still working

Old 08-20-2016, 02:01 PM

Build in 2003 still working no alarm nothing 13 years old sensor

Old 08-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ShufStiX
Build in 2003 still working no alarm nothing 13 years old sensor

Please excuse my ignorance in advance but didn't you just recently purchase this car? If so, how would you know if the TPMS has ever been serviced before? Is there a history available that would track such things there in France? Thanks for replying!

Old 08-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Please excuse my ignorance in advance but didn't you just recently purchase this car? If so, how would you know if the TPMS has ever been serviced before? Is there a history available that would track such things there in France? Thanks for replying!
Good point, sir. And: how many of us actually look to see if the bulb is working on Start-up?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Good point, sir. And: how many of us actually look to see if the bulb is working on Start-up?

My Mama always said it is not polite to point, but sometimes a well thought out point is worth it!

Old 08-22-2016, 01:25 PM

Got the car for 1 year previous owner did nothing to the car expect oil changes and yes we can sometimes track what has been done to the car. And as far as I know the sensor is still original.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine stared to act up about year ago the car will be 11 years old Sept. not going to do anything until I wear out this set of tires ,so nice piece of black tap over the dummy light works fine until new set tires back on in few years

Old 08-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Has anyone got a worn out sensor? I want to take one apart and replace the battery. I will pay for postage.
This could save us all some money.
Mine are still working.

Quick Reply: Who Has the Oldest, Original TPMS System that Still Works?