Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

SRT6 Compress Front Brake Puck

Old 01-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT6 Compress Front Brake Puck

RE: 2005 SRT6. I'm replacing all brakes and rotors. Rears were no problem. When I removed the front caliper and compressed the first puck the other puck extended. Now I cannot get it to compress. I took the caliper off so I can get to everything and still, even with a pipe compression clamp I cannot get it to budge. I know some Mercedes require the puck to be rotated so I rotated the one on the SRT6 and still no luck. I'm sure there's an expert on here who has the solution. Old Dog, new toy. I appreciate any insight.

Last edited by RKC00; 01-14-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Re: SRT6 Compress Front Brake Puck

You might try to blow it all the way out with air pressure. That may show you the problem and lead to repair kit. Remanufactured caliber at parts geek run about $60 for SRT6

Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by RKC00
RE: 2005 SRT6. I'm replacing all brakes and rotors. Rears were no problem. When I removed the front caliper and compressed the first puck the other puck extended. Now I cannot get it to compress. I took the caliper off so I can get to everything and still, even with a pipe compression clamp I cannot get it to budge. I know some Mercedes require the puck to be rotated so I rotated the one on the SRT6 and still no luck. I'm sure there's an expert on here who has the solution. Old Dog, new toy. I appreciate any insight.
Is it possible that you have not applied the pressure down the center line of the piston and have forced the piston off center and jammed the bottom edge of the piston into the cylinder wall. More pressure will then just wedge it even further.
Try and apply some pressure on the inside face of the piston maybe that will get it back in line.. If that is the case you should look for damage on the cylinder and piston.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your insight. A little finesse and all is well.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Received 385 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by RKC00
Thank you for your insight. A little finesse and all is well.

Over the next few weeks/months (with a progressive aggressive brake application) take the time to check that rotor and inside wheel rim for any sign of a leaking piston. Dave (180) hinted at piston/sleeve damage that may allow rubber ring/scoring forward. Hope it doesn't show signs of leaking but if it does you should be ready to replace the caliper assembly. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 188 Likes on 156 Posts
Wink Re: SRT6 Compress Front Brake Puck

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Over the next few weeks/months (with a progressive aggressive brake application) take the time to check that rotor and inside wheel rim for any sign of a leaking piston. Dave (180) hinted at piston/sleeve damage that may allow rubber ring/scoring forward. Hope it doesn't show signs of leaking but if it does you should be ready to replace the caliper assembly. Good luck!

Precisely why i suggested blowing the "puck" out with compressed air and inspecting the calipers cylinder. If there had been some damage you might be able to hone it and make it work, but if scratched and put back in service more than likely a replacement will be necessary if it now is found to be leaking.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM
Received 385 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by zip439
Precisely why i suggested blowing the "puck" out with compressed air and inspecting the calipers cylinder. If there had been some damage you might be able to hone it and make it work, but if scratched and put back in service more than likely a replacement will be necessary if it now is found to be leaking.

If it didn't need to be opened up he is back on the road sooner and a lot less expensive. Keeping an eye on the brake fluid level and inspecting for a leak saves a lot of time, use/driving, and monies. If damage was done then I believe it will become evident pretty quickly (depending on miles driven). A pint of fluid and frequent visual inspections cost almost nothing. Wouldn't you agree? In a perfect world and a shop with everything necessary (which many DIY's don't have), I am sure he thinks he didn't do damage. I agree it is a gamble, one he has taken with his car.