Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

New KYB shocks arrived - alignment question

Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New KYB shocks arrived - alignment question

I just got 4 new Kyb shocks in for my base 2006 - I got the car aligned 3-4 weeks ago when I purchased the car.

after I put these new shocks on do I need to get her re aligned?!

if read several opinions on yes and no - it's a replacement not a change in ride height . Crappy I just paid 80 for alignment a few weeks ago lol

thanks in advance!

Old 05-03-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: New KYB shocks arrived - alignment question

I think not, at least I didn't and I just installed the KYB's.
I don't see how new shocks could possibly effect alignment.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:52 PM

From what I've researched .. seems to be if the height of the vehicle is altered by the new equipment being installed then a re alignment is required- or so that's what it appears .

how long did it take you to swap them out and did it help your ride quite a bit? I'm at 112k and my rides are hitting me pretty good

Old 05-03-2017, 07:36 PM

Plan on at least 4-6 hours.
The fronts are relatively easy, it's the rears that will give you a headache.
( always remove the top nuts before jacking up the car )
After the top nuts are removed and the car is raised, the rear shocks will not come out without a LOT of prying down on the lower suspension.
You will have to pre-compress the new rear shocks and secure with tie-wraps in order to get them in. ( 2 person job )
Once they are in, cut the tie wraps.
Remember to lube everything up with suspension grease, or white lithium ( I used the lithium )
At the top on all 4 corners, the order is : big washer, big rubber spacer, through the hole, then small rubber spacer, big washer then jam nuts.
( The instructions ain't too good )

Another problem you will face is getting the rear wheels back on. The suspension drops and goes forward, the wheel hits the front and won't go on the centering ring.
You have to use a scissor jack or the like to jack the suspension up enough to get the wheel on.

Another note: If you are getting them from Rock Auto, make sure they send you the front shocks that have the upper boots.
Mine had none, and the two that JoeP got didn't either. I sent mine back and got the right ones withing a week.
I haven't heard if Joe got the right ones yet.

Last edited by ala_xfire; 05-03-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksmi87
From what I've researched .. seems to be if the height of the vehicle is altered by the new equipment being installed then a re alignment is required- or so that's what it appears .

how long did it take you to swap them out and did it help your ride quite a bit? I'm at 112k and my rides are hitting me pretty good
Shocks do not change the cars height.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Its like the oil of choice, many say X, and many say Y. If you get the lifetime alignment, why not have them check it? Some even 'check' for free if you do not have a lifetime. Couldn't hurt...

Old 05-04-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Its like the oil of choice, many say X, and many say Y. If you get the lifetime alignment, why not have them check it? Some even 'check' for free if you do not have a lifetime. Couldn't hurt...

absolutely - well I live in a rural area and I've always used one mom and pop place for everything about a mile from the house - I'll see if they can check it without charging me 80

i appreciate it

Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Plan on at least 4-6 hours.
The fronts are relatively easy, it's the rears that will give you a headache.
( always remove the top nuts before jacking up the car )
After the top nuts are removed and the car is raised, the rear shocks will not come out without a LOT of prying down on the lower suspension.
You will have to pre-compress the new rear shocks and secure with tie-wraps in order to get them in. ( 2 person job )
Once they are in, cut the tie wraps.
Remember to lube everything up with suspension grease, or white lithium ( I used the lithium )
At the top on all 4 corners, the order is : big washer, big rubber spacer, through the hole, then small rubber spacer, big washer then jam nuts.
( The instructions ain't too good )

Another problem you will face is getting the rear wheels back on. The suspension drops and goes forward, the wheel hits the front and won't go on the centering ring.
You have to use a scissor jack or the like to jack the suspension up enough to get the wheel on.

Another note: If you are getting them from Rock Auto, make sure they send you the front shocks that have the upper boots.
Mine had none, and the two that JoeP got didn't either. I sent mine back and got the right ones withing a week.
I haven't heard if Joe got the right ones yet.

thank you for taking the time to write that out - I've seen several step by steps around but none with opinions like you added

ive changed shocks on my Tacoma 06 but this xfire always seems to have something up it's sleeve lol

thanks again

Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

I got them from eBay dealer - all equipment is there

Old 05-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The shocks on a Crossfire are separate from the spring (unlike any strut equipped car) and changing them does not (and cannot) affect ride height or alignment settings.
That said I have seen brand new gas struts (on a strut equipped car) initially ride a few millimeters high (10mm or so) on cars where the strut (shock absorber) was really worn out, though within a hundred miles or so the car has settled down to normal.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX2 Nick
The shocks on a Crossfire are separate from the spring (unlike any strut equipped car) and changing them does not (and cannot) affect ride height or alignment settings.
That said I have seen brand new gas struts (on a strut equipped car) initially ride a few millimeters high (10mm or so) on cars where the strut (shock absorber) was really worn out, though within a hundred miles or so the car has settled down to normal.
On my install, I raised ~ 10 mm. It has not settled in 3 weeks.

Old 05-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Forum Regular

I installed the KYB's on Betty last spring before CAA7, and it helped the ride and handling immensely. Don't overthink the installation, the directions Alafire gave e above are correct, though if you have a lift, you won't need to pre compress the shocks and hold them with zip ties, but if your on jackstands then definitely do.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
On my install, I raised ~ 10 mm. It has not settled in 3 weeks.
I am impressed, a US citizen quoting sizes in the metric system, I guess the University jobs requirements spill over into the real world.
Anyway are these 10 mm higher than the OEM specs or did the old ones drop 10 mm lower as they aged?
I guess camber is out now?

Old 05-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I am impressed, a US citizen quoting sizes in the metric system, I guess the University jobs requirements spill over into the real world.
Anyway are these 10 mm higher than the OEM specs or did the old ones drop 10 mm lower as they aged?
Max had his lowered about a metre anyway

Old 05-08-2017, 07:32 AM

I understand that ice crystals will form, over the years, in the cranial cavity of those constantly exposed to sub-freezing temps, making them irascible and unruly.

Prompting them to fits of nastiness and ridicule.

I figured I'd show that even in the dark recesses of Alabama, we know all 'bout them meaters and stuff!

The Eibachs dropped the stance ~ 1 3/4" / 45 mm on install a couple of years ago.
Eibach replaced them when I complained. The new ones were the same.

The KYB's, when we installed them, had a MUCH stronger compression spec-I compared them when we had to compress and tether them to get them in the rears.

That seems to have raised the stance about 10 mm.

Whether the OEM shocks were just worn out or they came that way, I have no idea.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 AM

even in the dark recesses of Alabama
Prompts me to ask : "Where is Alabama is it NOT a 'dark recess' ? "
Or did your statement imply that the entire state is a 'dark recess', in which case I must concur.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
I understand that ice crystals will form, over the years, in the cranial cavity of those constantly exposed to sub-freezing temps, making them irascible and unruly.

Prompting them to fits of nastiness and ridicule.

I figured I'd show that even in the dark recesses of Alabama, we know all 'bout them meaters and stuff!

The Eibachs dropped the stance ~ 1 3/4" / 45 mm on install a couple of years ago.
Eibach replaced them when I complained. The new ones were the same.

The KYB's, when we installed them, had a MUCH stronger compression spec-I compared them when we had to compress and tether them to get them in the rears.

That seems to have raised the stance about 10 mm.

Whether the OEM shocks were just worn out or they came that way, I have no idea.
There must be a model that keeps the car at the correct height surely. What increments of O/all length and strength do they make.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 AM

There must be a model that keeps the car at the correct height surely. What increments of O/all length and strength do they make.
Models of which: Springs or shocks?

Old 07-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: New KYB shocks arrived - alignment question

Arghh! At NTB they wanted $900 to provide/install KYB's, whereas I got for $200 total on Rock Auto and had a mechanic with a lift install for $180, saving a cool $500. Yeah!

However, I went back to NTB where I had a 3-year Alignment deal as roads in DC are so bad, I am constantly needed alignment, so this would be free. But they said, "oh, when you replaced the shocks you should have replaced the springs". Whhhattt? They never even suggested when they wanted the $900 for shocks only and they said now they do not even do springs.

The reason they said I need springs is that there is no camber adjustment available at all now with new shocks on, thus I need new springs.

I only have 90K on my 2007 Roadster and didn't see anyone else even bring up spring replacement around the shock replacement discussion. However, the reason I even replaced the shocks (and steering stabilizer that someone suggested) was that I had flat spots on one of my front tires (the other was newer due to flat in sidewall) and since my alignment was fine, NTB suggested replacing shocks.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does that all sound right or should I get a 2nd opinion?

Also, in looking around it doesn't appear that anyone like Rock Auto, PartsGeek, Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc. even carry springs.

I didn't really notice much difference in ride with new shocks. Maybe a little stiffer, but not much noticeable. the only thing the mechanic noted was it definitely seemed to be ridding higher when he first let it down off the lift, but after I test road a few blocks, it seemed to settle down lower to what seemed like normal.

Any thoughts from someone that know more than I would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

New shock did not change the ability to adjust camber, front or rear, there was none.
You can get bolts for the front but you have to get adjustable camber arms for the rear.
Plenty of info on this site about both.

Quick Reply: New KYB shocks arrived - alignment question