Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

It finally happened.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It finally happened.

Today, the TPMS died. After 12 years, that was it. No warning, LOL, just suddenly the light came on. Has not been on for the almost 7 years I have owned the car, but today, it came on and stayed on. Tire pressure normal.

I am not going to pour money into this thing right now fighting the nightmare known as a Crossfire TPMS system. Not worth it. I disconnected the #2 wire behind the dome light and moved it to #6 in the connector. Did not want to have to do it, but do it I must. I will check tire pressure much more often now and live with the fact Butch did a half assed fix to his car.

I will be fine in the morning.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:00 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: It finally happened.

Never mind , i have this tpms and it works well plus its got a usb charge socket .

TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System Auto Car Cigarette Lighter +4 External Sensors | eBay

Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is exactly what I will get if they give me any grief during my next state vehicle inspection. They are super strict up here now with a computerized system. Not sure if they will pick up on the fact the TPMS light does not now come on with the rest of the idiot lights when the key is turned on.

I can live without TPMS on any of my cars. That is what they make good tire pressure gauges for, IMHO. All it has done is make people lazy and do what they should do, check the tires and the fluids, often.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=daveesrt6;888830]Never mind , i have this tpms and it works well plus its got a usb charge socket .

TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System Auto Car Cigarette Lighter +4 External Sensors | eBay[/QUOTE

$42US?

Damn, how times have changed!

Old 06-12-2017, 11:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TiredRetired
That is exactly what I will get if they give me any grief during my next state vehicle inspection. They are super strict up here now with a computerized system. Not sure if they will pick up on the fact the TPMS light does not now come on with the rest of the idiot lights when the key is turned on.

I can live without TPMS on any of my cars. That is what they make good tire pressure gauges for, IMHO. All it has done is make people lazy and do what they should do, check the tires and the fluids, often.
I couldn't Agee more. In the process of making things "easier", I believe companies have made people lazier. Checking your oil and tier pressure, as well as checking the cooling system and brake fluids every couple of weeks keeps maintenance in mind and offers valuable information about the operating health of your car.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05roadsterguy
I couldn't Agee more. In the process of making things "easier", I believe companies have made people lazier. Checking your oil and tier pressure, as well as checking the cooling system and brake fluids every couple of weeks keeps maintenance in mind and offers valuable information about the operating health of your car.
I agree with that, but a tpms can save you from ruining your rims as you can see that a problem may be occurring.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the kit mentioned in post #2. It works but the transmit units that go on the wheels are larger than a valve stem cap plus you need to have the tires rebalanced with them attached. I took them off the next day. If anyone is interested I'll send the kit to you for $35. They work but I decided to replace my TPMS instead.

Last edited by RKC00; 06-23-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Never mind , i have this tpms and it works well plus its got a usb charge socket .

TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System Auto Car Cigarette Lighter +4 External Sensors eBay
I use external sensors also, and have a display mounted that shows pressure and temperature, I didn't want another app.
I like it alot better since I can see what pressure is in each tire.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RKC00
I have the kit mentioned in post #2. It works but the transmit units that go on the wheels are marger than a valve stem cap plus you need to have the tires rebalanced with them attached. I took them off the next day. If anyone is interested I'll send the kit to you for $35. They work but I decided to replace my TPMS instead.
I'll take it. Send your paypal info to alaxfire@aol.com and I'll respond with my address.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Forum Regular

?? I have the kit in post 2 , the valve caps did not affect the balance of my brand new wheels at all , dint have to rebalance, smooth as silk.
temps /pressures/ low pressure alarms/voltage and a usb charger all in one small unit.
works for me !

Last edited by daveesrt6; 06-23-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Received 880 Likes on 686 Posts

WOW, I just found the TPMS kit like described above at Walmart for something like $149 !

Not worth it to me, but $42 might be. (Mine is an SE, that is, Base model - no TPMS at all.)

Old 06-24-2017, 12:07 AM
Forum Regular

Yes, Direct from China is hard/ impossible to beat.
It is a worry .

also, i just came back from a drive and i now think my ride is not as "smooth as silk" as i said afterall !
Thanks, ignorance was bliss . So.. I weighed one of the pregnant valve caps :8.61grams !! now i have to get the wheels rebalanced haha

Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Old 06-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by daveesrt6
Yes, Direct from China is hard/ impossible to beat.
It is a worry .

also, i just came back from a drive and i now think my ride is not as "smooth as silk" as i said afterall !
Thanks, ignorance was bliss . So.. I weighed one of the pregnant valve caps :8.61grams !! now i have to get the wheels rebalanced haha

WOW... .3oz isn't much but I guess any difference is reason to rebalance? BTW, am curious why you have such a small scale, mine weighs in the 1-300LB range (and I am NOT going to tell you where I land on the scale!).

Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an '04 & one of the TPMS went out recently (dead battery). I did the pin 2 to 6 fix & am have no plans to fix the TPMS. I normally clean the car every week & check tire pressure at least once a month. I would notice a low pressure tire.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
WOW... .3oz isn't much but I guess any difference is reason to rebalance? BTW, am curious why you have such a small scale, mine weighs in the 1-300LB range (and I am NOT going to tell you where I land on the scale!).

They are sold at .25 OZ.

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Forum Regular

I went for a drive with the tpms valve caps removed today and yes, it is smooth without them on , but i have them so i will get some of those wheel weights and try sticking one of those on the inside rim myself instead of paying the tire shop to do it.

Also, i measured them with the kitchen scales,not the bathroom one :-)

Last edited by daveesrt6; 06-25-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 372 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon

Ya, its a standard of wheel weights (clip on and stickies). BTW, are they in metric weight in other countries? I was commenting on the .3 oz of the cap and the observation .3 oz causing vibrations.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Ya, its a standard of wheel weights (clip on and stickies). BTW, are they in metric weight in other countries? I was commenting on the .3 oz of the cap and the observation .3 oz causing vibrations.

Are they metric in other countries? Surely you jest.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 340 Likes on 300 Posts

Does 2 tenths of an ounce differance really through your balance off that much?