Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Warning will robinson !!! - kyb shocks

Old 06-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Warning will robinson !!! - kyb shocks

A taller tire will do this, in my experience, I have 255/40/19 rather than 255/35/19 and the tires will contact (lightly) the body as you say when the car is jacked up under the diff. I have Koni shocks. You say the tires are stock size though . . .

Old 06-25-2017, 04:07 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sense much ado about nothing here. I installed KYB's on Betty before CAA7, and I did notice that the Rears were tough to get on due to suspension travel, but this was easily countered by placing 2 4x4 blocks under the suspension to hold it up in place. A second jack is not necessary, just something to hold the suspension up as you lower the car to install the tyer.

I like the feel of the KYBs and the ride quality is much improved as is the handling. I do not think that hard cornering is going to "over extend" the suspension and create more pressure on the body panels, unless you are jumping the car to relive all pressure on the suspension.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05roadsterguy
I sense much ado about nothing here. I installed KYB's on Betty before CAA7, and I did notice that the Rears were tough to get on due to suspension travel, but this was easily countered by placing 2 4x4 blocks under the suspension to hold it up in place. A second jack is not necessary, just something to hold the suspension up as you lower the car to install the tyer.

I like the feel of the KYBs and the ride quality is much improved as is the handling. I do not think that hard cornering is going to "over extend" the suspension and create more pressure on the body panels, unless you are jumping the car to relive all pressure on the suspension.
I agree, however: if you read the posts in the cited thread, one concern you did not address is that of tire R&R whithout a second jack. The longer "extended length" of the KYB's allows this extra forward travel to allow contact between the tire and the bodywork.

Making it a PITA to re-install the tire.

That is all.