Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Inexpensive rear tire with good rain rating

Old 08-31-2017, 03:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Inexpensive rear tire with good rain rating

Since am more of a cruiser than a track day person & my rear Contis are down to 4/32nds, been looking for some new rears. Fronts are fine so only need two but was a bit of a shock, at the end of summer 2017 there seem to be few choices even for stock 255x35x19s under $200. And then you add another $20-$30/tire EP.

Did find one though that looks good and one of the great tires from Korea: a Kumho Ecsta 4X II. Decent wet weather rating but not so good smow (like a Floridian cares). And Sam's implied $112 on the web but was $176 in the store. Plus. Contis were over $200.

Tirerack was $133 plus $27 shipping but reading the ratings sounds like a decent tire.. Then I received a flyer from Discount Tire Direct for $129.25. This made me look at the regular web sirte: $120. Even with all the addons is $140 less than anything else. (Note: Tirerack lists this tire for the Crossfire, Discount does not. Specs look the same. 420 wear. Do not really care about very high speeds, limit in Florida is 70).

Now just looking for a decent cruise tire for legal speeds with good traction in the rain and this sounds like a decent deal. Any other opinions ?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Inexpensive rear tire with good rain rating

I drive hours on interstate every week with the deep grooves fill up, in rain I liked the Gmax better than continental dws, dws 06, summinot and the worst tire I have ever had was the gy eagle f1's

I have Yokohama avid ENVIGOR on front and like them on front, they are a usa made tire

And on the Gmax I rotated, unmount flip and remount and put on opposite side, had even wear that way with our camber, and I think I got more miles out of them than I did on the conti's

The Gmax has alittle softer sidewalls than some others, so might help ride.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:04 PM

Thank you but have some of the Kumhos on order since were about $140 less for the pair than anything else decent I could find. Would have bumped a bit for the DWS Contis since fronts are 8 or better but not willing to spend that much more on the toy.

Will be careful to check the date codes when arrive but don't think the 4X IIs have been out that long- is a revieve of the earlier 4X in the tire review) but the earlier one had a much lower wear index (320 vs 420) rating.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Kumho Ecsta LeSport all round ,these replaced pirelli pzeros .
Surprised but I actually like the Kumhos better , they are good in the wet plus they have a great ride.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My 285 dws I have now I got on clearance on tire rack, check date code when I got them and they where just 16 months old ( if I remember right) and the yoko was about 1 week old.
I always look at dates and plant codes.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy4x4
My 285 dws I have now I got on clearance on tire rack, check date code when I got them and they where just 16 months old ( if I remember right) and the yoko was about 1 week old.
I always look at dates and plant codes.
I always check date codes. What are plant codes and why? Just curious.

James

Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 PM

Plant codes tell you where they were made, at least in what country.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett
Since am more of a cruiser than a track day person & my rear Contis are down to 4/32nds, been looking for some new rears. Fronts are fine so only need two but was a bit of a shock, at the end of summer 2017 there seem to be few choices even for stock 255x35x19s under $200. And then you add another $20-$30/tire EP.

Did find one though that looks good and one of the great tires from Korea: a Kumho Ecsta 4X II. Decent wet weather rating but not so good smow (like a Floridian cares). And Sam's implied $112 on the web but was $176 in the store. Plus. Contis were over $200.

Tirerack was $133 plus $27 shipping but reading the ratings sounds like a decent tire.. Then I received a flyer from Discount Tire Direct for $129.25. This made me look at the regular web sirte: $120. Even with all the addons is $140 less than anything else. (Note: Tirerack lists this tire for the Crossfire, Discount does not. Specs look the same. 420 wear. Do not really care about very high speeds, limit in Florida is 70).

Now just looking for a decent cruise tire for legal speeds with good traction in the rain and this sounds like a decent deal. Any other opinions ?
Discount Tire Barum bravus 3, all season, straight tread design very quiet with deep grooves excellent Tire in the rain I have a full set on my 05 Roadster and I really like them$80 for the front each and 117 dollars each for the rear and by the way they have a y speed rating 😋, they are rated for speeds higher than what your speed limiter on your car is set at.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Saw Bravus. Seems to be a "value" line of Continental (like Uniroyal is the value line of Michelin). Specs are not as good as Kumho. Made in the Czech republic. Both have absurd speed ratings.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Padgett

Discount Tire Direct is having a sale (Labor Day) and I think they ship for free. Might consider that. Also, I got the Barum Bravarus fronts and rears a year ago (from DTD, they are the European continental brand) and they also were on sale with a rebate 'use anywhere' gift card. Check em out!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 AM

New ones are now mounted and seem to ride comfortably, do not notice any noise. Only one issue (see photo) and they are ordering two more tires that are a bit newer. ALWAYS check the date codes on new tires particularly when must be ordered.