Wheels, Brakes, Tires and Suspension Open discussion for tires/rims/lowering springs/brakes etc...

Brake Bias

Old 03-27-2019, 03:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Brake Bias

Does anyone know if there is a brake bias adjustment on our Crossfire's? I've searched the forum and can not come up with anything. Same for the service manual. If there is no factory adjustment, has anyone installed an adjustment valve in our system to square up the braking? From what I can tell, the front's are doing all the work. I'd like to get just a little more of the rear's doing some of the load. It doesn't have to be square but a little more than we have now. I put adjustment valves on all of the street rods I built and on the race car's as well. Some were GM bias valves and others were after market but I don't remember the manufacturer.

If anyone has any experience with bias adjustment for the XF, I would love to hear your experience's, good or bad.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 AM
DHS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Bias

Jim,

How do you tell how much is being done by the rears vs front? I have seen valves sold for race cars but never anything on how to determine the amount of balance.

Dan

Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan - I just observe the amount of "polish" for lack of a better word, on the front rotors as opposed to the rear rotors. If there were more bias on the rear, the car would get a little squirley when hard braking is done. When I had a bias valve on a car, I would find that loose spot and back off the adjustment to put just a little more bias on the front, until I was happy with the braking. To me, this made the vehicle stop shorter and the braking to "feel" much better. This may not be the way others do it, but it is the way I used to do it. A GM or other American car mechanic could tell you how the dealerships adjusted the proportioning valve. That I don't know but would like to know.

Jim

Old 04-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Holian
Does anyone know if there is a brake bias adjustment on our Crossfire's? I've searched the forum and can not come up with anything. Same for the service manual. If there is no factory adjustment, has anyone installed an adjustment valve in our system to square up the braking? From what I can tell, the front's are doing all the work. I'd like to get just a little more of the rear's doing some of the load. It doesn't have to be square but a little more than we have now. I put adjustment valves on all of the street rods I built and on the race car's as well. Some were GM bias valves and others were after market but I don't remember the manufacturer.

If anyone has any experience with bias adjustment for the XF, I would love to hear your experience's, good or bad.

Thanks,

Jim
What about simply using more aggressive grab pads in the rear than the fronts. Wonder if that would do it. For example; Carbotech AX6 racing pads.