CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wtb-items-parts-wanted-buy-archive/)
-   -   Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/wtb-items-parts-wanted-buy-archive/80839-ignition-computer-assembly-complete-keys.html)

Sue999 09-27-2019 08:32 AM

Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...6bd305a29.jpeg
2005 Crossfire Convertible 119,000KM
Hi,
I am looking for someone that has the ignition including computer assembly and the keys. I have an 05 Crossfire Blaze Red Convertible Roadster automatic.

If anyone has this complete assembly unit that they are selling please let me know. If someone happens to know where I might be able to obtain those parts I would also be grateful.

Email - swalton@almi.ca

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Sue

****Update*****

Fix completed Oct 1/19. No parts

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance, suggestions, links & video. It was a huge success because of the wisdom, knowledge and experience from forum members. Nothing either Mercedes or Chrysler said had any merit, knowledge or truth.

I am grateful for everyone’s assistance! Thanks, Sue

Wadsworth 09-27-2019 09:38 AM

Re: Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mop...UAAOSwQIZdH57A

Is your SKREEM not working? I would search this subject before you buy. You need code and proper OBD to set up.

Sue999 09-27-2019 10:03 AM

At the moment, the key just won’t turn. I kept trying but after 4 days I got one of the two keys to work - I just have remember not to remove the key.
i think it’s just the tumblr but it’s just a guess?
There were only 69 - 2005 Crossfire Roadsters produced for the Canadian market. So, parts are really limited in Canada. The tumblr is back ordered until Jan 2020. While it might be true here, I can’t imagine there are zero parts anywhere. I have taken it upon myself to do some searching on my own.
The number of mechanics that have actually worked on a Crossfire are probably less than the availability of the parts. (My passenger side flasher burned out and Chrysler told me I have to purchase an entire headlight unit in order to change the bulb - the bulb itself can’t be changed) So, not exactly the kind of place I want servicing my car. I have been blessed since I bought the car in 2005, this is my first major repair issue.
I am not a mechanic so the reality is if the tumblr is removed and I don’t have a backup plan, I am screwed. I don’t want to wait until January 2020 and there is no guarantee they will even have them then.
I believe my SKREEM is still OK but until we take things apart, I can’t say for sure.
My greatest fear is removing the tumblr and not finding someone that can correctly reprogram the computer. I can live with the key to the door and the key to the ignition being different but that’s only a guess as well.

I am open to any help, input or suggestions I can get from this forum. I appreciate your response!

bluecoupe 09-27-2019 10:53 AM

Search sticky key fix.

Sue999 09-27-2019 11:00 AM

I printed off the sticky key instructions & my mechanic has it. However, if it doesn’t work, I need a back up plan. No parts here means the car won’t be on the road until I get a replacement part(s) 4 months or more. It’s a bit risky for me...Thanks for your input ��

Scott M 09-27-2019 11:16 AM

Sue, have your mechanic watch the video as well. Should be a two hour job or less, folks who have done several of these have it down to 30 minutes.

Then if that does not work, then worry about a back-up plan.

Lots of good repair tips by Paul:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjd...uQcrx8xYe-mbhw

Let us know the result!

Wadsworth 09-27-2019 11:17 AM

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/585345-post1.html Link for crossfire index.

If your key is stuck in ignition the sticky key fix should solve your problem. I have never had this problem myself.

Is that your only problem? Many posts of people having key stuck in ignition and this solves the issue. Many people do it as preemptive maintenance.

I would try a independent European repair shop. Unless you know your mechanic is competent. You need to start somewhere and if it doesn't solve your issue it will not harm anything.

You sound stressed and I don't think you need to be. Maybe someone who has had this problem can chime in.

bluecoupe 09-27-2019 11:17 AM

I would expect a Mercedes dealer or ebay would have the ignition tumbler..

Sue999 09-27-2019 12:03 PM

My key isn’t “stuck” in the ignition. The key won’t turn to start the car. I am not 100% sure whether the “Stickey key” is the same problem as I am having, @Wadsworth My mechanic does high end foreign cars but mine is the only Crossfire @bluecoupe . The instructions I printed out actually have the Mercedes part number listed. Mercedes estimated the part would be available sometime Jan 2020.
@Wadsworth the eBay link was very useful. I emailed it to my mechanic. We’re meeting on Monday to put together our fix plans. I am willing to purchase the parts on eBay in a nanosecond. My hunch is that the computer will have to be reprogrammed, correct?
We (mechanic and I) have not found anyone that has (?? Star 3/4 program training to reprogram). You’re spot on Scott, I am stressed. Took it to Mercedes dealer thinking maybe that was s good option but the appointment didn’t go so well. Instead of considering the car as a Mercedes they look at it as a Chrysler and want me to take it there. If Chrysler can replace a signal bulb that’s burnt out and says I need to buy a complete headlight assembly for 1 small bulb, I am not sure I want them touching my baby! I couldn’t even get the paint code from Chrysler (smh).
The guy that I am working with has done all the maintenance on my vehicle. This is the first major issue I have had on my 19 yr old car. No one here seems to to have seen the problem before - even though apparently it was an issue with both Mercedes and Crossfire vehicles. Everyone is skittish which doesn’t inspire confidence.
I wish I knew a local Crossfire mechanic that could do this but sadly I haven’t found one.

@Wadsworth how would I know if the SKREEN unit has a problem? I am guessing it’s just the ignition tumblr but I am no mechanic... Is there a test we can do on the vehicle that would show some kind of code?

Thanks for all the support, I am grateful!

bluecoupe 09-27-2019 12:54 PM

If you can still start and drive the car, what you have described sounds like the sticky ignition fix would remedy. A new ignition tumbler would not be required, just a simple modification and programming is not required

Sue999 09-27-2019 01:02 PM

I got one key to work. But, if I remove the key, all bets are off. @bluecoupe have you used this fix on your own Crossfire?

Wadsworth 09-27-2019 01:11 PM

Ignition and computer assembly complete with keys led me to ask if it was the SKREEM. If it starts not the SKREEM.

ZERACER 09-27-2019 01:13 PM

Lots of repair info here for both you and your mechanic.
CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource >Technical >TSBs and How-To Articles

Is the directional front or rear? You should not have to replace the assembly unless it is horribly corroded.

ZERACER 09-27-2019 01:15 PM

Sorry, wrong link.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/tsbs-how-articles/

ZERACER 09-27-2019 01:16 PM

WOW, I HOPE THREE IS A CHARM. BRAIN FADE DAY>

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

Sue999 09-27-2019 01:29 PM

Mercedes said: “if you buy the tumblr I also need to buy the complete assembly and have the car’s computer reprogrammed otherwise the key would not start the vehicle”.
The car started but it took 4 days of trying before I could get the key to turn. I had to have the car towed which was an experience in itself but I managed to use the information on the forum to get the car out of park & into neutral in order to have it towed. Didn’t know about the switch to the left of the drive on the shifter console.
The eBay lock assembly looks like what it may need. I am just uncertain about the programming aspect or whether this will be a complete resolution. I see 2 fobs but the one piece I am not certain exactly what it is (large component). Everything else in the picture seems explanatory. Not sure whether after installing this the car will start or whether there’s another step that needs to be completed?
I am content to purchase the parts from eBay. It’s the “what don’t I know” that’s scary. Because if I don’t know the chances are my mechanic won’t know either....
This has been both an education and a learning curve!

Sue999 09-27-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ZERACER (Post 930265)
WOW, I HOPE THREE IS A CHARM. BRAIN FADE DAY>

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...s-repairs.html

I printed this PDF and gave it to the mechanic. It had Mercedes part number on it. That’s how we found out the part is back p
ordered in Canada 🇨🇦 until Jan 2020

pizzaguy 09-27-2019 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sue999 (Post 930252)
My key isn’t “stuck” in the ignition. The key won’t turn to start the car. I am not 100% sure whether the “Stickey key” is the same problem as I am having,

It is, have your "mechanic" read the tutorial and he will have it fixed in about 90 minutes.

HUNDREDS of cars have done this. Very common problem.

You need no parts, just do the procedure in the tutorial and all will be fine. Trust us, some areas of the USA have "Tech days" and we do up to six cars a day.

Sue999 09-27-2019 03:36 PM

@pizzaguy have you done this fix yourself? If so, would you be willing to speak to my mechanic? There were only about 70 total roadster & maybe 200 +/- Crossfires sold in the Canadian market to the best of my knowledge in 2005. Working knowledge & actual experience with this car could fill the head of a needle. Guys that speak the same language and know their way around a car would be really helpful and would probably reduce his anxiety too.

email - swalton@almi.ca

The part listed on the PDF fix is back ordered until approximately mid to end of January 2020.

onehundred80 09-27-2019 04:46 PM

This reminds me of the old saying.
“You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink”.
The solution has been given to you but you seem to want to waste money, the fix needs no parts to be purchased and if your mechanic wants you to buy parts I suggest you find an honest mechanic, that actually may possibly be an oxymoron.:)