WTB - Items/Parts Wanted to Buy - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

OEM illuminated silk plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 AM
Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts
Default OEM illuminated silk plate

WTB OEM illuminated sill plate

Only need one will most definitely take a pair

Old 07-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OEM illuminated silk plate

Why do you need only one. They are relampable (if that is a word)

I did mine in blue

Attached Thumbnails OEM illuminated silk plate-img_1569.jpg  
Old 07-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Your message is extremely well timed. I've just disassembled the sill that wouldn't light up

I've been looking on line (eBay too) for a replacement LED STRIP. There is no shortage of choices.

I know I'll need one that is approx 24" (60cm)

What I don't know is
1) best available brand
2) can the original light strip be sourced
3) does the replacement wire in any differently or can I hook it into the existing relay/ transformer
4) if I have to replace the stop/ ribbon, what is applied over the clear plastic to make it opaque

Installed them a few months ago. New OEM right out of the box. Two weeks after install, one just stopped lighting up (crap)

When you re-lamped did you do both or were you able to just do one. Any suggestions would be welcome and much appreciated.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you narrowed the problem down to just the LED strip for certain ?
Can you substitute just the LED section for the other side of the car, or connect to the wires for the other side ?
The actual LED bulbs themselves almost never "burn out". When you see LED bulbs out, like in traffic signals, that's because of bad soldering, that's why entire strips go out.

Maybe you can make sure it's not some other part there, or the wiring connections. Did you follow the instruction sheet that came with the kit ? A PDF version of it is available if you did not have instructions. I see on the PDF, there is some sort of assembly you mount behind the seat, I assume some sort of voltage converter. I know you said it worked at first, maybe part of that stopped working.
I think if you can hook the sill up to where the opposite side of the car is connected, you can confirm it really is the LED strip itself or not. Then maybe the strip could be repaired if it is not all sealed in plastic.
Just trying to help troubleshoot.

Is the strip actually LEDs or is it an Electroluminescent strip ? Does it have discreet bulbs that make the panel strip light, or does it seem the entire strip lights up itself.
Now that I think about it some more, I'm guessing it is electroluminescent.
If it's not LEDs, an Electroluminescent replacement strip should not be expensive, here's an example strip I found, there's a lot of them available in different colors at various sellers.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/415...FQEHaQod0ToL-g

Maybe the unit you mount behind the seats is an inverter for electroluminescent strips, and that's how this was made.
That same site also sells inverters powered off 12V DC so if that is what you have, and that is what went bad, and the strip is still good, you could try a new inverter.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/448

Or start from scratch, using the stuff they sell and change to electroluminescent strips in a color that matches your new preference.

Last edited by garjoe05; 07-15-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: New thought
Old 07-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread named "Illuminated Sill Plates - Color change revisited" confirms that the strips are electroluminescent.
I would think it would be unusual for this kind of strip to "burn out" in just two weeks. So the same still applies to the thoughts in the previous post I made.

There's an entire procedure on replacing the strip with a different color. They also replaced the inverter with new ones, but you may not need to do that unless yours went bad.

Maybe the wiring somewhere is not making a good connection, or the inverter has gone bad. You might be lucky enough that buying a new inverter will correctly power the existing strips. Maybe the inverter happens to have a label telling the output current/voltage, and you can confirm a replacement would also be in the same range. Again, if the other door is working, you should be able to narrow down for sure what part or wiring connection has failed.

Also, the 60 CM written on your picture is for 60 centimeters, which is almost exactly 24 inches. So it looks like 1 inch by 24 inches of electroluminescent tape is what you would need.

Another thread here with more information and pictures:
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ted-again.html

Last edited by garjoe05; 07-15-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 07-15-2017, 07:24 PM

Can we email? Easier for me.

Roglemof46@gmail.com

Old 07-15-2017, 07:38 PM

I know I'll need one that is approx 24" (60cm)

I used 24x1 wish I could have gone to 24 x 1 1/8 or 1/4

What I don't know is
1) best available brand

I'll send you a pic of the one i bought by email others I'm sure would work

2) can the original light strip be sourced

Looked for a long time and I would say no. Relanping lets you change the color

3) does the replacement wire in any differently or can I hook it into the existing relay/ transformer

they are I think power inverters and I used one on each strip (sill)

I wanted to route 12 volts both sides for footwell lights in the same color

4) if I have to replace the stop/ ribbon, what is applied over the clear plastic to make it opaque

I left mine blue to match the car.

Installed them a few months ago. New OEM right out of the box. Two weeks after install, one just stopped lighting up (crap)

Age kills those old strips. New ones are better

When you re-lamped did you do both or were you able to just do one. Any suggestions would be welcome and much appreciated.

Did both because unlike the oem. The electroluminecent strip is colored and oem is clear/silver

Email is roglemof46@gmail.com

You

Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM

Garage Joe.

The problem has been narrowed down to the light strip

The existing power inverter is working fine for both sides

Immediately upon one of them failing, I swapped the sill locations and the defective one was still defective

Until I opened it up, I had assumed LED strip, I was not aware that there was an eluminecent strip and associated Power inverter as indicated in both responses. I've clicked on the links. We're on the right track.

The reference to 60cm is mine. When you reside in Canada, Metric comes naturally and all eBay Light dimensions are also posted in mm or cm.

With luck, Roger will have a few photos for me this week and a specific brand that was successful with his swap

When adding lights;
Doesn't the lamp out dash indicator come on when using other than OEM for the sills and add-on LED's in the footwell? I know the these cars are finicky. I experienced all kinds of stuff on the engine swap.

I'm over the top on suggestions and advice. Keep it coming.

Thank you.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanE
Garage Joe.

Immediately upon one of them failing, I swapped the sill locations and the defective one was still defective

Until I opened it up, I had assumed LED strip, I was not aware that there was an eluminecent strip and associated Power inverter as indicated in both responses. I've clicked on the links. We're on the right track.

The reference to 60cm is mine. When you reside in Canada, Metric comes naturally and all eBay Light dimensions are also posted in mm or cm.

With luck, Roger will have a few photos for me this week and a specific brand that was successful with his swap

When adding lights;
Doesn't the lamp out dash indicator come on when using other than OEM for the sills and add-on LED's in the footwell? I know the these cars are finicky. I experienced all kinds of stuff on the engine swap.

Thank you.
The light out indicator does not include the interior lights or added light circuits in its coverage.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:27 AM

One Hundred Eighty
That's an extremely valuable piece of information

Thank you for the heads up on this. This gives me peace of mind with the swap out, for non OEM light components and addition of footwell lights easier.

I saw a you tube video on how to Mach illuminated Sill plates for a Mustang

If I get time this winter I may attempt to fabricate a pair with my original non illuminated plates

Old 07-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Garage Joe.

When adding lights;

Thank you.
Should you find the problem overwhelming I suggest you wrap them up well and sell them to me.
I have always wanted a set of those sill plates. That is about the only OEM option that I wanted and never got.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM

with the expert assistance I've received, I've ordered the parts required to repair them

you tube also has quite a few videos on how to make them. Going to try that this winter on my original sills

I've also just purchased a set of OEM replacement mirror signal indicators

Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM

Project complete

Roger,
Thanks for directing me to the luminescent light strip
The repair took a few hours but was really simple. Lots of prep work

Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 AM

with the expert assistance I've received, I've ordered the parts required to repair them

you tube also has quite a few videos on how to make them. Going to try that this winter on my original sills

I've also just purchased a set of OEM replacement mirror signal indicators
I have the mirrors, a lot of money for what they are. If you ever sell your car please sell me the lighted sills, no one will pay extra for them and will not miss them.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

!80. Why have you waited all these years to "Pay the price" and get illuminated sill plates I have a set, But you will have to buy the whole car to get them. If you snooze you loose?? Have a great day. Lorne

Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 AM

180 I’ll keep that in mind but I have to tell you that they’ll be selling parkas in Hell before I sell it after all of the time and effort to convert NA to SRT

For those of you that don’t speak Canadian, a Parka is a really warm winter coat.

Happy Sunday, it’s frosty in Calgary this morning

Old 09-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by lorne
!80. Why have you waited all these years to "Pay the price" and get illuminated sill plates I have a set, But you will have to buy the whole car to get them. If you snooze you loose?? Have a great day. Lorne
I have most of the other OEM options, I just dawdled on the sills.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Happy Sunday, it’s frosty in Calgary this morning
It is going to be just under 90 degrees F today here. Too hot.
A friend of mine said he was moving to Calgary earlier this year in June, July or August. I said that is good as that is the three months when you probably will not get snow. I said it only half in jest, I guess I was nearly correct.
He went out there in August, good job he likes skiing. I should drop him a line.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave AKA one hundred 80. If you email me your personal Email add. I may know where the sill plates are available. Lorne. lorell@sympatico.ca

Quick Reply: OEM illuminated silk plate