All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Air Bag Recall

Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Recall

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Is the 08 coupe and roadster airbag the same?

I once looked up the D/S airbag numbers and found the same part numbers in many different years/models, just the 'cover' was a different cover. I am not sure how the bag comes (with or without the cover). That would explain the differing part numbers BUT the module inside must fit the stem and wheel assemblies.

I bought a 2004 DS Airbag from an eBay vendor. But the Airbag is for the 2-tone gray interior and I've got a Dark Slate Gray version. Wondering if I can remove the air bag & exploding charge module from the 2-Tone version & re-install it on my Dark Slate Gray version. That would remove the Takata issue from my car. Going to look at this over the weekend.

I already asked Chrysler if that was an acceptable repair for the recall and they stated that the Feds require a new Air Bag module to be installed.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
I bought a 2004 DS Airbag from an eBay vendor. But the Airbag is for the 2-tone gray interior and I've got a Dark Slate Gray version. Wondering if I can remove the air bag & exploding charge module from the 2-Tone version & re-install it on my Dark Slate Gray version. That would remove the Takata issue from my car. Going to look at this over the weekend.

I already asked Chrysler if that was an acceptable repair for the recall and they stated that the Feds require a new Air Bag module to be installed.
I have asked Chrysler if they can use a 04-06 bag BUT again they ignore customers and treat them like crapola. Why can't they use a mismatched color UNTIL they acquire the correct one like they are doing with the ones they are installing into NEW cars (that they were all caught doing and ordered to stop).

Yeah, the recall has to be done according to the law BUT in my opinion there is no way to trust Chrysler isn't swapping modules already. They already got caught putting the defective airbags into new cars so that down the line they can replace it again after supply ramps back up. There is a few others who also are using the 'non-desiccant' ammonium nitrate airbags, they also were ordered to cease this practice. Quite good reading that summarizes this whole problem here ( Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ?*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog ).

Old 09-18-2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crossfireconv08
Just to put the information out there the dealership that we have the appointment with for the recall is Bob Moore Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In case someone wants to head there for the recall.

Wish I knew why your dad is so tight with the VIN..... I used to be 17 so I know and understand you have to follow his directions. Given the location, and the records generated already, I am sure the complaint I file will be able to get the VIN anyway. It might have helped me to get Chrysler off their collective a$$es for their customers who bought new from them 7-9 years ago.

Worry not, by the time the complaint hits Chrysler through various avenues, your airbag will be in place. I would make sure you have noted the recall number and series (listed on your notification), and that your sure they did the work, before accepting the car back (GET YOUR PAPERWORK COPIES OF THE WORK DONE). If anything happens to you, that would be the only record you have that they replaced it. I wouldn't put it past any Chrysler dealership putting in another defective airbag, or one from another car. Just saying.

Hope you have a lot of fun with it, they are a rare breed and quite a lot of fun when they work correctly. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Hey, George. Check this out!

Oil Change w/Airbag Recall

Now that's what I call taking a stance to reduce any risk exposure and associated lawsuits!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 10-14-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 PM

Latest info (none from FCA, them A$$es!) that I can find with a quick search. Here is a pretty good link ( Takata Airbag Recall - Everything You Need to Know ), seems CR cares a LOT more than the GOV or FCA/Veh manufacturers. Love the timeline summary!

Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interestingly, when you look up 2008 Crossfire on the NHTSA RECALL SITE it lists zero recalls.....but the 2007s have the bag recall listed. Odd, since we (2008s) did get the notice.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chris L.
Interestingly, when you look up 2008 Crossfire on the NHTSA RECALL SITE it lists zero recalls.....but the 2007s have the bag recall listed. Odd, since we (2008s) did get the notice.

Chris, plug in your VIN in the specific place they link to on the NHTSA site, no matter what their car search says, the VIN is the official register. That VIN search WILL highlight the 07 and 08 VIN's for the recall. The other sites/webpages may be listing the 06/07 because of the assembly dates, but the recall is for the 07/08 VIN numbers. I know it is confusing but that's the way this recall is being done for those Takata airbags (on our cars).

Old 12-02-2016, 09:53 AM

Hey, George. Check this out!

Oil Change w/Airbag Recall

Now that's what I call taking a stance to reduce any risk exposure and associated lawsuits!

Hey Dennis, were you damaged by the latest storms up there?

Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
Hey Dennis, were you damaged by the latest storms up there?

We were lucky. No damage to house or cars in driveway (including the XFire). Neighbors next door & around me didn't fair as well. We've got lots of tree damage in back yard. And we got our power back on THU around noon. Place is a mess!

Later,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20161202_105659.jpg (2.66 MB, 13 views)
20161202_105710.jpg (3.08 MB, 12 views)
20161130_171619.jpg (225.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 11:05 AM

We were lucky. No damage to house or cars in driveway (including the XFire). Neighbors next door & around me didn't fair as well. We've got lots of tree damage in back yard. And we got our power back on THU around noon. Place is a mess!

Later,

Glad you didn't get damages, cleanup goes a lot better when you do not have to REPLACE anything. I found a chainsaw here where I am is a necessity, the generator we have is an absolute must-have! During the last few, and this last one that hit US, all we lost was limbs on trees and just 2 tabs off the peak of the roof shingles (and the power for 5 days/nights). We really lucked out during those (up to) 68mph winds/gusts storms lately.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 12-10-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by harbor
The A$$holes are kicking the can further down the road. If you read the first and second order, they should have done the southeast area (hot/humid) airbags for our 07/08 cars already. Now these asses can claim they have to reset all the stuff (that seems to have NOT been done yet) and they made it even more confusing for us public (as if there wasn't enough to search/download/read through). The 07's in the southeast areas are already approximately 10 years old already. The 08's, 9 years old. See the attached .pdf page 11 (paragraph 29) demonstrating the engineering data used for the estimating of the modules risk of injury/death. The engineering data already put the degradation of the propellant at 6-9 years (6 being low scale, 9 being definitely dangerous). FEKKERS!

Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM

Takata pleaded guilty to fraud in the air bag scandal today in Federal court. They agreed to pay $1 billion for a scheme to conceal a deadly defect of its air bag inflators. Takata admitted to hiding problems that can cause inflators to explode with too much force, hurling schrapnel into drivers & passengers. Article said that U.S. prosecutors are still seeking extradition of three former Takata executives from Japan to face criminal charges.

Takata agreed to pay $850 million in restitution to automakers, $125 million to victims and families, and a $25 million criminal fine. They still face dozens of consumer & state lawsuits that could run into millions of dollars.

Got 'em!!!!! They'll go bankrupt now.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Key here is "all non-desiccated Takata frontal driver and passenger inflators contain a
propellant that degrades over time."

So I've had one replaced, what about the other three (passenger and two knee).

Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
Key here is "all non-desiccated Takata frontal driver and passenger inflators contain a
propellant that degrades over time."

So I've had one replaced, what about the other three (passenger and two knee).

Theme from the twilight zone, I hear!

This would be the worst case, having NHTSA find out (and act) on all the other modules in all the other cars, oh my...

Old 02-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Takata pleaded guilty to fraud in the air bag scandal today in Federal court. They agreed to pay $1 billion for a scheme to conceal a deadly defect of its air bag inflators. Takata admitted to hiding problems that can cause inflators to explode with too much force, hurling schrapnel into drivers & passengers. Article said that U.S. prosecutors are still seeking extradition of three former Takata executives from Japan to face criminal charges.

Takata agreed to pay $850 million in restitution to automakers, $125 million to victims and families, and a $25 million criminal fine. They still face dozens of consumer & state lawsuits that could run into millions of dollars.

Got 'em!!!!! They'll go bankrupt now.

Is this the 5th 'air bag' post? WOW... Anyway, hope I got a desiccant pack in my replacement last week!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:47 PM

This post has gone viral.

Of course if it was GM, they would just add a package of silica dryer behind the bag.

(First reacall I was involved with was breaking motot mounts that jammed the accelerator wide open.
GM's fix was the 60's equivalent of a tie wrap around the mount so when it broke it could not move far enough to jam the throttle...)

Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Padgett
This post has gone viral.

Of course if it was GM, they would just add a package of silica dryer behind the bag.

(First reacall I was involved with was breaking motot mounts that jammed the accelerator wide open.
GM's fix was the 60's equivalent of a tie wrap around the mount so when it broke it could not move far enough to jam the throttle...)

How is your FCA/Chrysler fiasco going? I hope they are doing you right? LOL @ GM's repair, but they also have a crapload of bad modules to replace as well! Isn't there a bunch of XF owners who 'tied' their motors down with installed chains, to hold em down? I believe I read a bunch of posts about that (with a few pictures as well).

Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Left the Crossfire at the dealer this morning. Said they had found the right scan tool.

Got a call this afternoon that the issue has been resolved: found a number (?) of codes, cleared them, and light is now out.

Picking up tomorrow and will ask just what faults were found.

But for now am hopeful.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM

OK, the wait is over. Have car back and light is off.

Had a large number of "false" codes but once cleared they stayed gone and light is off (went on some errands and still off).

For the AR I was given a list of the "false" codes which were what I might expect, all B codes.:
b10f5, b1003, b1122, b1123, b1102, b1103, b210d, b210a

Am told a B210D is "low battery" and can cause all sorts to other codes. Since the list above includes both high and low values, it would not surprise me, kind of thing I would expect from a bad ground.

But bottom line is that codes were declared "false", are now cleared, and the airbag light is off.

Any guesses why this happened ?

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall