All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Air Bag Recall

Old 05-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Air Bag Recall

Worried that your car uses Takata air bags?
Worry not as they were made by TRW.

Wrong again, some were made by Takata.

Last edited by onehundred80; 04-18-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Recall

Good thing. Chrysler would never recall the Crossfire, they'd say only cars sold in South Dakota or Montana qualify.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
Good thing. Chrysler would never recall the Crossfire, they'd say only cars sold in South Dakota or Montana qualify.

LOL......Nailed it.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire

And that's if they were FORCED to.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I refuse to refer to my Crossfire as Chrysler. I prefer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Chrysler .

Old 05-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
I refuse to refer to my Crossfire as Chrysler. I prefer DaimlerChrysler .
I prefer Mercedes or AMG. And another thing, my father was an engineer for TRW, mostly setting up production lines, so I feel safe.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:58 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Re: Air Bag Recall

Originally Posted by arejohn
I refuse to refer to my Crossfire as Chrysler. I prefer DaimlerChrysler .
DaimlerChrysler is 100% accurate & our Crossfires are practically less than 1% Chrysler. When my Mrs. chose the new Roadster (as her convertible sports/dream car), we agreed when we learned who made it. We were never looking for any kind of "badge". The curious questions remain: Why did the successor (Chrysler LLC) choose to offer/publish their TSB/ Extended Warranty for detached windows (only for '05 model year) in Sep/Oct 2011, long after new company ownership? Were they afraid of possible consequences of doing nothing? Why did they choose VIN #'s from 9 States? If they desired to retain customers, why didn't they make their 100% offer to all original private buyers of Roadsters, and maybe a 70% offer to 2nd owners under the time/mileage limit? Why did they deliberately choose to alienate so many future customers? Chrysler: does anyone there have ears to hear?

THANK YOU, 180, FOR YOUR AIRBAG INFO!

Last edited by lovecross; 06-02-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by lovecross
DaimlerChrysler is 100% accurate & our Crossfires are practically less than 1% Chrysler. When my Mrs. chose the new Roadster (as her convertible sports/dream car), we agreed when we learned who made it. We were never looking for any kind of "badge". The curious questions remain: Why did the successor (Chrysler LLC) choose to offer/publish their TSB/ Extended Warranty for detached windows (only for '05 model year) in Sep/Oct 2011, long after new company ownership? Were they afraid of possible consequences of doing nothing? Why did they choose VIN #'s from 9 States? If they desired to retain customers, why didn't they make their 100% offer to all original private buyers of Roadsters, and maybe a 70% offer to 2nd owners under the time/mileage limit? Why did they deliberately choose to alienate so many future customers? Chrysler: does anyone there have ears to hear?

THANK YOU, 180, FOR YOUR AIRBAG INFO!

Most if not ALL the questions you asked can be answered quite simply, MONEY.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

180 please check this out??? I was told today that some 06 and 07 Crossfires have Takata air bags. my 07 Bright Silver by ser# being one. They said they would be replaced from the southern states first then go north. I feel like I will be driving with a IED behind my horn now. I would appreciate your always good info on subject.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I heard of the 06 recall a couple of months back it seems.. called my local dealer and my vin didn't show anything.. but they have me on record for ownership should that happen.. Also recently checked all my cars.. use this.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

Old 04-11-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFASOLD
I prefer Mercedes or AMG. And another thing, my father was an engineer for TRW, mostly setting up production lines, so I feel safe.
Hey,I worked for TRW also. Thompsom Ramo Wooldridge at the Charlotte,NC location for 5 years with their automotive racing parts branch. I quit a week before a tornado blowed it to the ground and they never built back. They were changing over into electronics anyway. Squirrel Crusher

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Air Bag Recall

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I heard of the 06 recall a couple of months back it seems.. called my local dealer and my vin didn't show anything.. but they have me on record for ownership should that happen.. Also recently checked all my cars.. use this.

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup
Greg, this should be right up there at the top of the forum for everyone to see!
I ran a couple of my cars VIN jus to check; Not just for Crossfire.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Turns out the 2007 & 2008 XFires do have Takata air bags. I received the formal recall notice from FCA (Fiat-Chrysler America) in today's mail.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Received a recall notice for my 08 today.....but parts not available yet.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:02 PM

Got my notice today, as I was leaving the house for another doctor appointment. THE DEALERSHIP DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT THIS! How about that? Well, after the service dept guy complained they are the last to know, all he did was highlight the text about further notification will be coming when they have the parts. I asked for the service dept manager, and of course there was nothing he could do except give me a card with a Chrysler '800' number on it. Of course he was very busy, but I asked him if his daughter had one of these airbags, would he let his daughter drive the car (his answer: "I would have to think about that"). The recall hotline number in the recall (800-853-1403) was answered tonight at @ 10:20pm EST, with a nice agent who took a lot of information and said almost nothing in return. She appreciated my concerns and advised me to take it back to the dealership for an inspection (after asking if I lived in an area with high humidity). So, failing my ability to get the drivers side airbag 'unplugged' (so it doesn't kill me if it is one of the bad ones), I guess the graphiteghost is parked until FCA gets a replacement.

What is everyone else doing?

Oh, BTW, The recall (S15/NHTSA 16V-081), if looked up on the net ( http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/safercar/rs/ta...6V081-8542.pdf ), shows a lot of MB's and a few Chryslers. Near the bottom (Page 11), it says the 06 and 07 models (not sure if THAT reference is year manufactured or model year). The recall notice I got said model years 07 and 08 crossfires. Guess a lot of us are in quite a pickle. Do we risk injury as we now know there is a safety recall and it looks like FCA will only repair (without consideration of us parking our cars)? I am new to this stuff...

Old 04-12-2016, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
What is everyone else doing?

Oh, BTW, The recall (S15/NHTSA 16V-081), if looked up on the net ( http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/safercar/rs/ta...6V081-8542.pdf ), shows a lot of MB's and a few Chryslers. Near the bottom (Page 11), it says the 06 and 07 models (not sure if THAT reference is year manufactured or model year). The recall notice I got said model years 07 and 08 crossfires. Guess a lot of us are in quite a pickle. Do we risk injury as we now know there is a safety recall and it looks like FCA will only repair (without consideration of us parking our cars)? I am new to this stuff....
I don't really drive my 2007 that much, so leaving it sit in the driveway covered is not such a big deal to me.

But the last recall I got that was similar to this was on my 2012 Fiesta. That recall notice stated that the door latches could disengage causing the doors to swing open. All the door latches were to be replaced by Ford. And the parts were not available per the notice. Took another 6-8 weeks before I got the follow-up notice that the parts were available and to schedule the repair. And even with that, the local dealer (Fairway Ford) had to order the parts when I took it in because they didn't have 4 latch assemblies sitting on the shelf. Ended up being a 2 day job. And I shuddered at the thought of the Service Department having to remove all the interior door panels to replace the latch assemblies. And sure enough, I found one of the door panels not installed correctly when I got the car home & really looked it over. Service Tech thought I wouldn't find the issue. Tried to cover it up. But I found it and took the car back to have the door panel installed correctly. Service Department never sent me an email requesting my feedback because they knew I would blast them. Destroys their 100% service compliance status with Ford parent.

So I figure this is going to be another wait since these cars are no longer manufactured and the company that produced them no longer exists. And the Chrysler dealer network is not going to stock these airbag modules. They'll order a driver airbag module whenever one of us calls for an appointment & brings our Crossfire in for service. We'll take the cars in for repairs, they'll order the airbag module from the warehouse (they won't order the airbag module ahead of time because people miss scheduled appointments all the time & the dealer doesn't want these airbag modules in their inventory), and install it next day. At least a 2-day service call.

Oh Well - It is what it is!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-12-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:29 AM

It is interesting to me that the airbag recall specifically states that the issue is related to exposure in a high humidity environment. Never heard that from previous recalls about Takata airbag modules. But does explain somewhat the pecking order for recall mailings from FCA.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 AM

Linked to the Air Bag Recall thread listed under TSB's.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I received the formal recall notice from FCA (Fiat-Chrysler America) in today's mail. Yep, was told to sit on this bomb until I get the next letter saying the dealership has the parts...

Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM

Important point for us to remember. Recall notice from FCA states that we get a follow-up notice when parts are available. My experience is that doesn't mean the dealer will have these on the shelf in inventory. Typically, means parts can be ordered from an FCA warehouse whenever a Crossfire is brought in for this recall.

As I stated earlier, don't be surprised if this repair is at least a 2-day service repair when you take your Crossfire in for the recall. Might be a 3-day event depending on where the nearest warehouse facility is in relation to your respective dealer. I'm hoping I can persuade my local dealer to order the new driver airbag module ahead of time and then contact me when they receive it. Plan to tell them that I will wait on the car during repair so they get at it right away & the XFire doesn't have stay overnight. This repair shouldn't take more than an hour.

I hope I'm wrong on their typical work process, but it's my experience with these types of recalls.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 04-12-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall