All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Air Bag Recall

Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Recall

The drivers side airbag was replaced a couple of months ago on my Magnum, now I got a letter saying the passenger side airbag was being recalled. Same letter, no parts, will notify you when parts are available, safe to drive. I'm not going to wait out by the mailbox. Must have been close to a year between the initial notification and the "parts are available" notification for the drivers side.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
It's still safe to drive something that can send metal shards through you at 2 jillion MPH ?
It is just a simple case of fragging, if you do not drive one of those multi million cars you have nothing to worry about until your car gets thrown into the mix.

You probably have more chance of getting hurt crossing the road than your airbag busting your chops.
What happens when Takata goes belly up, no company can take that financial hit surely.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:09 PM
JSK

Actually, I think I am less likely to step out in front of a car while crossing the road than I am having someone in a car pull out in front of me while I'm driving down the road.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's still safe to drive something that can send metal shards through you at 2 jillion MPH ?
Yeah.. it's safe to drive.. just kiss your a$$ goodbye if you wreck.. see the difference?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Went by the dealer today and asked about the recall and is it safe to drive. He said with a straight face that the Crossfire recall is "different" and the airbag will not frag.

And if you believe that I have this bridge...

Old 08-06-2016, 06:34 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

It may be my heightened awareness around this recall, but there seems to be a growing number of 2007 & 2008 XFires entering the used car market the past couple of months. I've seen quite a few low mileage cars (because that's all I look for | <30k miles) on the various websites I peruse occasionally. And with a Carfax that states there is a safety recall applicable to the car, this can't be anything a dealer is excited about when trading for a XFire. Sort of like having an albatross on the car. Overall values for trade-in and resell have to be taking a hit right now.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 PM

BE WARNED !!!! IF YOU DISCONNECT THE AIRBAG AND RECONNECT THE BATTERY, YOU WILL HAVE TO VISIT A DEALER TO GET THE AIR BAR ERROR RESET !!!!!!!!

Found this post just a little while ago. And the Service Manual says not to reconnect the battery until the Airbag Verification Test is performed. Looks like I'll end up at dealer service dept no matter which way I go on this.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 08-07-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

And DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT ever connect an air bag if the battery is connected.
You could have a really bad day.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:37 PM

Here's the Airbag Verification Test required after swapping out an airbag. DRB-III is required.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

No idea if Chrysler is the same but in a early 90's GM car the computer is looking for about a 4 ohm resistance to be happy.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Driver-Side Airbag Install Procedure (see attached)

Attached Files
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 PM
JSK

Here is some very interesting information

A Cheaper Airbag, and Takata's Road to a Deadly Crisis

Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by JSK
Here is some very interesting information

A Cheaper Airbag, and Takata's Road to a Deadly Crisis
i read that in the New York Times as well. Just goes to show how the savings of a couple of dollars in some cases is weighed against the cost of a possible number of deaths resulting from the possible failure of the part.
In the article GM blames the old GM as being at fault, not them.The people who made the decision still work there, got golden hand shakes when they left or are on pensions most probably.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts
Angry Re: Air Bag Recall

People should be going to jail! Pretty soon the gov will declare all these cars unsafe (due to parts not available in a mandatory safety system) and take them off the road 'hook-line-and sinker'. Boy, wouldn't THAT just boost this failing economy? Hmmmm, there is an old saying 'The end justifies the means'. Just who will get rich off this fiasco, and who should be jailed because of 'liability analysis' and paying out vs self fixing no matter what the cost?

I am exploring options to join or cause to be filed, a class action. My car is still parked 4 1/2 months after being notified my D/S steering wheel airbag is involved in the recall (and located in extreme temp/humidity area).

Old 08-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
People should be going to jail! Pretty soon the gov will declare all these cars unsafe (due to parts not available in a mandatory safety system) and take them off the road 'hook-line-and sinker'. Boy, wouldn't THAT just boost this failing economy? Hmmmm, there is an old saying 'The end justifies the means'. Just who will get rich off this fiasco, and who should be jailed because of 'liability analysis' and paying out vs self fixing no matter what the cost?

I am exploring options to join or cause to be filed, a class action. My car is still parked 4 1/2 months after being notified my D/S steering wheel airbag is involved in the recall (and located in extreme temp/humidity area).
Hardly anyone was punished for the market collapse in 2008 so why would these guys get time?
The old boys network save each other when needed and provides jobs on company boards to prevent them having hard times, you and I can go to hell as far as they are concerned.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Re: Air Bag Recall

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Hardly anyone was punished for the market collapse in 2008 so why would these guys get time?
The old boys network save each other when needed and provides jobs on company boards to prevent them having hard times, you and I can go to hell as far as they are concerned.
Certainly, way too much of "our" gov. have been sleeping with much of big business for a long time. NHTSA?...Federal Trade Commission?.....even a "few" of our elected officials?? Some attorneys will likely do very well over the next decade or so. Is it true that the first 3 model year Crossfires do not have Takata airbags? ('04, '05, & some of '06 made by TRW?)

Last edited by lovecross; 08-27-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: curious
Old 08-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 376 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by lovecross
Certainly, way too much of "our" gov. have been sleeping with much of big business for a long time. NHTSA?...Federal Trade Commission?.....even a "few" of our elected officials?? Some attorneys will likely do very well over the next decade or so. Is it true that the first 3 model year Crossfires do not have Takata airbags? ('04, '05, & some of '06 made by TRW?)

So far, they are not listed in the recall. I heard from someone in the forum (in a post I cannot remember) that TRW made the 04/5/6 D/S steering wheel airbags, but like everything else if TRW does have their name on them, who made them for TRW? I can see a future unsure (where Takata is concerned) that hiding all information (cloaked in obscurity and misinformation) until the $hit hits the fan, is the business model throughout the world today.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. Safercar.gov still shows 0 open recalls by my vin, but they have little credibility with me. Corp. knows where we are since buying new in '05, but they are not credible either. "TRW" came from 180 in post #1.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by GraphiteGhost
So far, they are not listed in the recall. I heard from someone in the forum (in a post I cannot remember) that TRW made the 04/5/6 D/S steering wheel airbags, but like everything else if TRW does have their name on them, who made them for TRW? I can see a future unsure (where Takata is concerned) that hiding all information (cloaked in obscurity and misinformation) until the $hit hits the fan, is the business model throughout the world today.
Let's not get too worked up on this subject, TRW is a US based company in Livonia, Michigan. The were acquired by ZF and are now known as ZF TRW Automotive Holdings Corp.
They are a major supplier of auto parts to the Big Three.
Chrysler switched from them to Takata.
Takata air bags cannot be too bad after all Pizzaguy survived, maybe slightly harmed but he is still here. If you died because they failed to protect you, your family would know that you increased their wealth with your sacrifice. A CICCI award might come into being with your name on it, how cool that would be.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-27-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that's funny ,LMAO.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall