All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

Issue with key FOB not unlocking car and car not starting. Alarm keeps going off!

Old 11-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Issue with key FOB not unlocking car and car not starting. Alarm keeps going off!

Hope someone can help with this issue. Drove to the store, everything was working normally. I tried to unlock the car with my key fob when I came out of the store and the car would not unlock. Then tried opening manually with the key and the alarm went off and could not shut off. I tried starting the car and did not start. I tried with second key fob and the same problem. Now, every time I open the door the security alarm is set off. Batteries in the FOB's are fine. I Heard it could be a dead battery causing the problems, checked that, fully charged. Car is still unresponsive to FOBs, alarm sets off every time I unlock it manually, and still won't turn over! Not sure what the issue is so if someone can advise that would be great.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 181 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: Issue with key FOB not unlocking car and car not starting. Alarm keeps going off

Roadster or coupe? SRT? I believe it was raining in SF lately; water can find its way into the area in the rear of the car near the air pump. If you have moisture back there it will exhibit the symptoms you describe.

You will find all the info you need in the TSB and How to Articles topic. Specifically look here: Sticky: Index of Crossfire problems and repairs (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page) and then scan down the screen to the Body section and see "Water in Trunk"

Try using the search box with "water in trunk" it might get you there quicker. Also search for SKREEM module

Last edited by zip439; 11-04-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Thumbs up Re: Issue with key FOB not unlocking car and car not starting. Alarm keeps going off

PROBLEM SOLVED! Found the below post in July 2009 from GA Crossfire and surprise the key fobs and car starts now!
"Great news....disconnecting the battery, even though the alarm is loud enough to wake the dead, does work. Just have to remember to keep a #10 size wrench with me if it happens again. For anyone else if this happens to you: 1. when remote keyless entry will NOT unlock car, replacing the batteries in the keyless entry is useless when both remotes do not work. 2. unlock door with the key (alarm will sound) 3. VERY IMPORTANT... DO NOT PUT KEY IN THE IGNITION. This will lock down the wheel, engine, glove box, trunk, etc and alarm still sounds 4. Open the and disconnect the cable. 5. I left disconnected for about 30 - 60 seconds 6. reconnect 7. use keyless entry remote to unlock the car. If this works (and mine did) the alarm will be deactivated and the car will start. called the dealership to inquire if the engine battery should be replaced and was this a possible cause... they could not say yes or no. I did not replace the engine battery when this occurred 10 months ago and have not had a problem until yesterday. Until the battery is replaced, I will carry the #10 wrench with me in the drivers door pocket"

Last edited by RoadsterBabe; 11-05-2016 at 10:30 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Re: Issue with key FOB not unlocking car and car not starting. Alarm keeps going off

Originally Posted by RoadsterBabe
PROBLEM SOLVED! Found the below post in July 2009 from GA Crossfire and surprise the key fobs and car starts now!
"Great news....disconnecting the battery, even though the alarm is loud enough to wake the dead, does work. Just have to remember to keep a #10 size wrench with me if it happens again. For anyone else if this happens to you: 1. when remote keyless entry will NOT unlock car, replacing the batteries in the keyless entry is useless when both remotes do not work. 2. unlock door with the key (alarm will sound) 3. VERY IMPORTANT... DO NOT PUT KEY IN THE IGNITION. This will lock down the wheel, engine, glove box, trunk, etc and alarm still sounds 4. Open the and disconnect the cable. 5. I left disconnected for about 30 - 60 seconds 6. reconnect 7. use keyless entry remote to unlock the car. If this works (and mine did) the alarm will be deactivated and the car will start. called the dealership to inquire if the engine battery should be replaced and was this a possible cause... they could not say yes or no. I did not replace the engine battery when this occurred 10 months ago and have not had a problem until yesterday. Until the battery is replaced, I will carry the #10 wrench with me in the drivers door pocket"

Strongly suggest you never take your car to the dealership until you give the membership HERE a chance to help you. About your battery, please do not buy a battery at the dealership! You'll probably pay three times the price of one you can get at your local auto parts store (and they most likely will install it for free!). The dealerships know either nothing about this car, or almost nothing about this car. JMHO, Good luck!

Old 11-07-2016, 09:24 AM

FYI....I did not take to a dealer and this site is where I found the resolution to fix. Hope it helps others. Dealers never know anything about my crossfire. Probably saved me tons of money! The above post is where I found resolution that worked. This has been a very helpful site and I am glad I am a member.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

called the dealership to inquire if the engine battery should be replaced and was this a possible cause... they could not say yes or no.

Very glad you got it fixed! I just gleaned/mentioned (above) from your OP, that you should never take it to a dealership. It is all good, and yes you absolutely did the right thing by checking here before going to the 'stealership'. Happy motoring!

Old 07-02-2018, 09:46 PM

Hello! I just bought a 2004 Coupe...love it. Drove it over 12 hours yesterday to bring her home. All was fine. Today I ran a few errands and at one point the key FOB would not work, I used the key and as soon as I opened the door the alarm went off and car would not start. Towed her home. Just read your post!!! Went out and tried it and IT WORKED.....OMG!! This forum is awesome...from one gal to another with a Crossfire...thank you for posting!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My roadster did the same thing a couple of months ago. Used the same technique to fix it. Battery was 4 years old, replaced it. No trouble since.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Firefly2018
Hello! I just bought a 2004 Coupe...love it. Drove it over 12 hours yesterday to bring her home. All was fine. Today I ran a few errands and at one point the key FOB would not work, I used the key and as soon as I opened the door the alarm went off and car would not start. Towed her home. Just read your post!!! Went out and tried it and IT WORKED.....OMG!! This forum is awesome...from one gal to another with a Crossfire...thank you for posting!
bookmark this site. PERIOD.

write it down on paper. don't forget it.

This Place is THE ONE PLACE for information on Crossfires BAR NONE.

and by the way Welcome to the Crossfire Club.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the impression from my local Chrysler dealership that Chrysler wants nothing to do with the Crossfire even if they can make a pile of money off of you. They supposedly knew nothing about the special wrench for opening the ragtop. The Mercedes dealership knew more about this. I had to buy the Mercedes version of this wrench. The Chrysler dealership also claimed to know nothing about the recall on the ragtop for the delaminated rear window. Chrysler is completely done with us Crossfire owners. You can't say that about Mercedes Benz owners and Mercedes Benz. They seem to try to keep a positive long term relationship with the owners of their older cars.

Last edited by David M; 07-10-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:51 PM

HELP!!! I bought key fob shell and switched out insides of original fob into shell. Car wouldn't start. Doors open but no start. Thought fob needed desync but dealer said "not the problem" and if I drop $550 to diagnose they "might" be able to tell me problem. Towed it back home $550 still in my pocket and tried few things I've read. Unhooked battery, resync key and it started and died 2 times and 3rd time no start but dashlights all on. Can anyone tell me if they've experienced this and what I can do to fix. I miss driving my baby which I've had since Sep 2003.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Administrator
Received 885 Likes on 689 Posts

YOu didn't move the little black RFID chip from the old fob to the new fob. Its about the size of a pencil eraser, carefully pry it out of the old fob and glue it inot the new fob and you are good to go.

It is a shame the dealer could not figure that out before you even stopped telling them what was going on. But then READ my SIGLINE!

Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 PM
Administrator

If you already threw the old fob away, call Rob and order a new key.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:15 PM

I did pry out the black pencil eraser looking Rfid but not sure if I damaged it. Who is Rob?

Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 PM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on needing the little black RFID thingie that fits where what looks like a red window is on the key end.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Rob at Needswings.com - the only place I'd order a key from.

And we know from your description that the SKREEM cna't read the RFID in the key fob. Given what you have described, I see no reason to suspect the SKREEM or a disconnected ring/antenna.
This sounds like something happened to the RFID chip in the move to the new fob housing. But I really think that RFID chip is somewhat 'tough' and I know many have moved them and been fine.

I"m sure glad my car came with two keys (and I'm the third owner, so that's kinda lucky, I guess).

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-24-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:39 PM

Hello,

I did this after I had the same issue after changing the batteries in my 2006 crossfire coupe and it started.
However, it only runs for a few seconds and dies like it is not getting fuel? and then after 2 or 3 times I have to pull the cable again or it acts like it is dead. Has anyone had this issue and if so how do I rectify it?

Old 01-31-2022, 02:04 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Be sure you are using the correct batteries and that the contacts are making a good connection. Sometimes they bend and sometimes people use batteries that are just a bit too thin.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Terry59
Hello,

I did this after I had the same issue after changing the batteries in my 2006 crossfire coupe and it started.
However, it only runs for a few seconds and dies like it is not getting fuel? and then after 2 or 3 times I have to pull the cable again or it acts like it is dead. Has anyone had this issue and if so how do I rectify it?
The SKREEM is bad or the RFID chip in your key fob has fallen out.