All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

anti rust additive instead of antifreeze

Old 01-28-2017, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anti rust additive instead of antifreeze

I have been told that pure water dissipates more heat then antifreeze . the car is in s. florida and well never see temps below 50 degrees , so anti freeze is not needed . It is an str6 and i'm adding mods to it so max heat dissipation is the goal .

what does everyone recommend to add to distilled water to prevent rust and corrosion ?

Old 01-29-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Re: anti rust additive instead of antifreeze

Originally Posted by king happy
I have been told that pure water dissipates more heat then antifreeze . the car is in s. florida and well never see temps below 50 degrees , so anti freeze is not needed . It is an str6 and i'm adding mods to it so max heat dissipation is the goal .

what does everyone recommend to add to distilled water to prevent rust and corrosion ?

You have to remember, antifreeze ALSO contains anti boilover chemicals as well. You should use a 50/50 mix all year!

Old 01-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree on the 50/50 mix. It will be OK. Trust us.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 552 Likes on 464 Posts

What does everyone recommend to add to distilled water to prevent rust and corrosion ? Answer = Zerex G-05 mixed 50/50 with it.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I did a write up about this sometime ago and went with a lower antifreeze consentration in the intercooler for just that reason. Water has a specific heat of 1.0 and antifreeze is below that depending on the compesition of the brand. Cooling has been a biggie for me since I started the supercooler thing and hood. Enjoy Woody

Old 01-30-2017, 06:20 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: anti rust additive instead of antifreeze

I did a write up about this sometime ago and went with a lower antifreeze concentration in the intercooler for just that reason. Water has a specific heat of 1.0 and antifreeze is below that depending on the composition of the brand. Cooling has been a biggie for me since I started the supercooler thing and hood. Enjoy Woody

Old 01-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 392 Likes on 337 Posts

Are you going to be tracking the car multiple times? Racing involving curved roads/constant accell/decell? IF your going to consistently be loading up the motor on repeated hard pulls, then you have to take that into consideration. If your just going to drive spirited on a couple of occasions, I say just 50/50 the coolant system. If your going to 'separate' the SC cooling, I have no input on this separate system fluid composition. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM

woody,
I looked at some of your previous articles on the subject and saw that you use a lower psi radiator cap . What psi did you go with ?
in a lower pressure system I can see the need to have to use some coolant to raise your boiling point . I do like the fact that you only used 30% coolant concentration to still get the raised boiling point but the 70% water to get better heat transfer .

But in my case at this point i'm sticking with a stock (16psi) cap . with water having a 212 degree boiling point and every psi raising boiling point 3 degrees , a stock system , water only srt6 would have a boiling point of 260 degrees . that would be plenty high enough to avoid problems .

talked with one of the techs @ dei and he states that there additive product passed the same anti corrosion test as coolant (water wetter also makes the same claim)

so since in our climate we don't EVER worry about freezing issues , water transfers heat better then coolant and products like water wetter well provide all the rust and corrosion protection . why wouldn't I want to do this ?

thanks,

mike

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74

Old 01-30-2017, 11:11 PM

super street did a comparison of four different brands compared to a 30/70 mix.
hopefully this link works

Cooling System Additives - Turbo and High-Tech Performance Magazine

Old 01-31-2017, 06:25 AM
Received 538 Likes on 426 Posts

To improve cooling system effectiveness due to turbos on my Merkur XR4Ti's , I used Redline's Water Wetter. All 3 of my XR4Ti's had the product in their cooling systems. But I never considered reducing the glycol mix to a 30% solution. We can get cold here during winter season, but probably not enough to be overly concerned about it. And I typically didn't drive the cars in really cold temps.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 PM

here is a chart showing what freezing protection you get at different mixes .
30% coolant protects you all the way down to about zero degrees . probably more then enough for most people . 50/50 goes down to -33 degrees .

the way I see it on srt6's the biggest problem we have is transferring heat from the intake air to the intercooler . we run larger heat exchangers to lower temps and increase capacity but iat still climbs because the ic cant absorb enough heat . so to me it makes sense to do all we can to help transfer heat from the intake air to the ic .

when you look at the different tests with water combined with water wetter type products , they transfer measurably more heat then a 50/50 coolant mix . so at the very least I would think srt owners would want to run the lowest percentage of antifreeze possible . (woody says he runs 30% )
in my case I don't need freeze protection so the use of water and an additive would give me the most heat transfer at the same time still protecting my motor .

Freezing Points of Ethylene Glycol Mixtures

Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 PM

Keep in mind that track cars are not permitted to use anti-freeze. It's water and Water Wetter.