Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Fan Resistor

Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Resistor

Hoping that 1)posting this in the right place and if so 2)someone can help.

After not driving my 2005 Crossfire Roadster for awhile the interior fan that drives the air conditioner, defroster, heater, etc. does not work. Checked fuses....they are OK. Had my mechanic (not only a great mechanic but a great guy too) tells me that it needs a new resistor. $485.00. My wife, her family, and I have been going to him for like 30 years. Trust him implicitly.

Can this be right? $485.00? Is there another way? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: Fan Resistor

Originally Posted by BigYankFan
Hoping that 1)posting this in the right place and if so 2)someone can help.

After not driving my 2005 Crossfire Roadster for awhile the interior fan that drives the air conditioner, defroster, heater, etc. does not work. Checked fuses....they are OK. Had my mechanic (not only a great mechanic but a great guy too) tells me that it needs a new resistor. $485.00. My wife, her family, and I have been going to him for like 30 years. Trust him implicitly.

Can this be right? $485.00? Is there another way? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
You can buy these on eBay, much much cheaper. The "great guy" is doing what all so called "great mechanics" do these days and that is replace the failed part without looking at options.
They just like the way your money sticks to their oily hands.
"
Trust him implicitly" that is always a naive and therefore expensive attitude to take.
I take it the resistor is that part that goes on the back of the fan, it costs a lot from the dealer, after market ones are one tenth of the price. You can replace it yourself.
I'll look for one for you.
Edit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-C-CLK-SLK-Chrysler-Crossfire-Heater-Blower-Regulator-Genuine-OEM-/171546200566?hash=item27f0f349f6&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-CROSSFIRE-3-2-V6-2003-2007-HEATER-BLOWER-RESISTOR-/191572469297?hash=item2c9a9be631&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Heater-AC-Blower-Motor-Regulator-W208-W202-For-Mercedes-Benz-2108206210/181142129416?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33098%26meid%3Db15660cb19d14b449d20162dad286e83%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D171546200566

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-26-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Y'know, most mechanics have a close relationship with thier local parts shops, and will check for pricing on any needed repair part between however many shops service him.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

And damned few mechanics, many of them deeply trusted, won't shop on eBay, or use used parts, for fear of quick failure, long delivery times (2 from Great Britain and one from China?) or a number of other concerns that will COST THEM THAT VERY TRUST.

I'm surprised you didn't know that either.

Sheesh....

Last edited by maxcichon; 08-27-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Y'know, most mechanics have a close relationship with thier local parts shops, and will check for pricing on any needed repair part between however many shops service him.

I'm surprised you didn't know that.

And damned few mechanics, many of them deeply trusted, won't shop on eBay, or use used parts, for fear of quick failure, long delivery times or a number of other concerns that will COST THEM THAT VERY TRUST.

I'm surprised you didn't know that either.

Sheesh....
Anyone who has a close relationship with a supplier is often rewarded with kick backs, that close relationship is ripe with abuse so that everyone makes money at the customers expense.
My motto is take no bribes from and give no favours to suppliers. That way everyone is on the same page.
I gave three options used, new from a reliable maker and new from China. I think I covered all bases there.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-27-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:22 PM

This is great stuff. Keep it coming please. Thanks.

As an aside I stopped in to see my mechanic (who I still trust implicitly for reasons set out below) this morning. Part had not come in. Some screw up with the order by the dealer. He also told me that he did some research and there is a service advisory out there about a problem with the grounds for the fan motor. In that case the cost to fix would be minimal. I then told him what I had found on this forum and he agreed it made perfect sense to cancel the order and that he would be happy to install the part after I received it.

I point this all out only because 1)it turns out that yes, there are in fact quite a few things I don't know 2)having been a criminal defense lawyer for 34 years I've been called many things but never, ever, "naïve" 3)in that time I think I've become a pretty good judge of human nature having heard just about everything.

Sheesh.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:28 PM

I have quit answering a lot of queries,I've decided to let others pick up the slack. This should have been one of them.

I just showed that parts were available in three price ranges and all much less than the dealers price, there is no harm in the OP looking for parts closer to home.

Sheesh! I'm outta here.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:25 AM

Oh, 180, you know we all love you.

I'm just trying to point out that not all of the members here are as...savvy? as others.

Some of us must trust someone. And to have that trust ..ridiculed? made fun of? questioned? is tough on them.

Sorry, buddy. Pre-coffee post.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:27 AM

I'm just trying to point out that not all of the members here are as...savvy? as others.

Some of us must trust someone. And to have that trust ..ridiculed? made fun of? questioned? is tough on them.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

"In Max we trust", all others are full of crap. ( me included )

Old 09-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Suppose I should grow some tougher skin. I guess it was the "sheesh" that got me.

This was all very helpful and I really appreciate it. This is not the first time this group has saved me a ton of $$$$. Last time was buying online and then programming a new key at minimal cost. Great stuff.

The trip to Maryland from RI sans fan was interesting especially when driving through a series of line storms with the top up. Ordering the part now.

Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Suppose I should grow some tougher skin. I guess it was the "sheesh" that got me.

This was all very helpful and I really appreciate it. This is not the first time this group has saved me a ton of $$$$. Last time was buying online and then programming a new key at minimal cost. Great stuff.

The trip to Maryland from RI sans fan was interesting especially when driving through a series of line storms with the top up. Ordering the part now.

Thanks again.
I'm glad that you could find the "help" in the petty utterances of myself. Sorry 'bout that!

Dave and I get like that once in a while.

Where did you find one? Price?

And: as a CDL, I would think your skin would turn a knife! LOL!

Old 09-04-2015, 04:12 PM

I'm glad that you could find the "help" in the petty utterances of myself. Sorry 'bout that!

Dave and I get like that once in a while.

Where did you find one? Price?

And: as a CDL, I would think your skin would turn a knife! LOL!
I gave examples of cheaper parts, I shall refrain from such comments in the future. I realize that even mechanics have to make a buck to put food on the table, put their kids through school and then have them live rent free in the basement.

From now on I will advocate that mechanics prices are not to be questioned; taking that a little further, I think a tip of 10 to 15% would be a nice touch.

Last edited by onehundred80; 09-04-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Mechanics today are not like the mechanics of old, the mechanics today are prone to throw out a part and replace it even though there was nothing wrong with it. The customer ends up paying for the part and does not know he is being stolen from. Stolen is a harsh word to use but there is not any other word for it. Lump a few parts like this together and we are on the way to grand larceny. The mechanics are allowed to hide behind the mechanics lien and they do. The mechanic will say it was an electrical part and is not returnable to the shelf, but he made the mistake so why should the customer pay for his mistake?

In this case the mechanic stepped back from the edge, $485 for a part that can be had for half that at least, trust your mechanic if you will but take off the rose tinted glasses.

I fervently hope this was not directed toward me, sir.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:47 PM

I fervently hope this was not directed toward me, sir.
You are particularly touchy today, but I attached my comments to the wrong post. I'll fix that.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:48 PM

Thanks again.
Mechanics today are not like the mechanics of old, the mechanics today are prone to throw out a part and replace it even though there was nothing wrong with it. The customer ends up paying for the part and does not know he is being stolen from. Stolen is a harsh word to use but there is not any other word for it. Lump a few parts like this together and we are on the way to grand larceny. The mechanics are allowed to hide behind the mechanics lien and they do. The mechanic will say it was an electrical part and is not returnable to the shelf, but he made the mistake so why should the customer pay for his mistake?

In this case the mechanic stepped back from the edge, $485 for a part that can be had for half that at least, trust your mechanic if you will but take off the rose tinted glasses.