Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

Originally Posted by polywave
This sounds like BS to me.
Not necessarily BS, but to attenuate the bass to -3 is just a totally unacceptable solution to the problem. If I wanted to listen to music that way, why have 6 speakers and a 240w amplifier. And I don't care if I'm going 30 or 130, if it sounds like crap, then crap it is. Infinity's whole argument is to weaken the music instead of strengthening the stereo. This crossover should have been in the initial design.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, last Sunday, I installed the capacitors I purchased from Crutchfield labeled as "bass blockers". Here's the story.
I purchased the Crutchfield version because they came pre wired and I wanted to make this as quick and painless as possible. But after receiving them, I realize they are pre wired for direct connection to the speaker, meaning I'd have to remove a lot more of my door than just the little access panel. So, I bought some bullet type crimp connectors and cut the pre wired ends off the capacitors and crimped on the new connectors and did the same to the red wire in the door panel. After testing to make sure sound was still coming out of my speakers, I then tested the new sound quality. I couldn't really tell a difference at first, but when listening to Kanye West's "Golddigger" I definitely noticed that there was less fuzz coming out of the woofers and I could feel the kick from the subs behind the seats. Definitely a better sound than before! I'm still experimenting with the bass level and I have it on -5 now. So far, so good. Too bad I didn't just go to Radio Shack and buy the capacitors by themselves and save myself the money, since I had to wire them myself anyway.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

pelked1 ..

Your instructions were awesome. I just completed the install. 15 minutes to get the caps ready on the bench, and about 10 minutes to install in the system. I added the 220uf caps and the muddiness is GONE! I'm a classically trained musician and I play in rock/jazz/blues bands and am picky about how my stereos sound. You are absolutely correct about feeling the subs in your butt and back ... I too lowered the high end about a notch. Another thing I agree on is how quiet the XF is ... on chilly days with the windows up I have been turning the volume down.

Thanks again for sharing your idea and the research you put into it.
adoni

Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 PM

Remarkable!!! That's all I have to say about how this little simple customization has changed my Crossfire. It took me about 10 minutes per side. I soldered the capacitor in-line with the wire and then used electrical tape to insulate the ends.

The highs are crisp and the lows come out of the subs just beautifully.

Thanks for a wonderful how-to!

Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Just joined the bandwagon...installed the 200 microfarad 100v caps and the audio crossover is superb. I thought the stock system was decent, but with this mod it puts it up there with the Mark Levinson sound system in the Lexus IMO. All I can say is THANK YOU Pelked1 !!!

BTW, I found it easier to pull the door panel out a little and punch the access panel from the back to get access to the wires. This way you won't scratch the access panel with the screw driver.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed mine Sunday and it's true sounds much better. I have aftermarket cd player also.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Forum Regular

THANKS pelked1, I too installed your mod and it is a GREAT IMPROVEMENT! You've made a wonderful contribution to this forum. Excellent instructions and photos.

Now how about an interface for my iPod. ...

Peace,

Fritz

Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Forum Regular

OK I did the mod so let me go over it so I can get the most out of the sound system. I bought the 220's at radio shack. Cut the black side and crimped them in. I always rather cut the black or ground side if its an either or. I figure if anything ever comes loose I would rather have a ground wire hitting the inside of my door than a hot wire. Now that I have it hooked up most are saying to set the base at between -5 and +2. What do you recommend the treble be set at? Some talk of thumping base sound how is this possible when it might be set at -2? Last question it seems as when I set the base and treble either on CD or FM it is always back to zero later on. Does each station have the setting that have to be made and then hit the save button on the radio the way you lock in channels? My one car allowed you to set each channel to different setting and remembered them. I know I have a lot of questions but you guys are the experts and I'm just half deaf! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:00 PM

Well done!

Did the mod this morning. The caps I purchased are quite a bit bigger than the ones shown here but seem to make a great improvement all the same.

Thanks for the great guide! I had always assumed that given the limited space that the sound would never be as good as a car with more room for speakers, positioning, etc.

The system sounds great now, very clear at higher volumes without the bass distorting everything.

Thanks Again!

Old 06-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Forum Regular

I'm helpless...any remote chance a non-do-it-your-selfer could do this? I'm afraid it's way over my head, and I would love sound improvement.

I wouldn't know where to start...what might this cost me to have a so-called expert do this..or am I just waiting to be ripped off if I took it in somewhere...

Old 06-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Thumbs up Re: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod

I did the mod two weeks ago and the radio never sounded so good. Thanks.

With the directions given on this site anyone should be able to do it. No need to go to a so called pro.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Location: Alvin, Texas- a small town outside of the Clear Lake area

Reply to the 220 capacitor fix... Man, what an incredible difference-- the capacitors I used were 100 watt. No problem whatsoever in listening to cd or radio at volumes of 35-40 with no distortion. Before this upgrade, I was seriously debating having $799.00 focal speakers installed at cay toys no need to now.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:06 PM

...Just a BIG "Thank you" to Pelked1 for the speaker mod suggestion! As an old time audiophile ("The Absolute Sound" #1! ...AudioResearch and Linn Sondek... and, vinyl!), the muddiness in the mid-range of the little Infinity system really bothered me (it's about all the hearing I have left)... 220 micro-farad caps as pioneered by Pelked1 did the trick! ...Super, super result for less than $3.00 and about 30 minutes of time... Unfortunately, 30 years have taken a toll on the brain and the ears here, but this is a definite and discernible improvement in the stock system... Should save everybody a TON of $. Thanks again, Pelked1!!!

Old 06-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Forum Regular

Does this "fix" apply to the '05 limited Crossfires with the Nav system and so-called improved sound system?
I am very confused!

GG

Old 06-24-2006, 05:02 PM

I bit the hype and did the mod, so my 2 cents.

Obviously what you tune your audio system to is a personal preference even if dealing with limitations in the that system.

One thing this mod does do, it definitely reduces the bass from the mids on the doors. The door rattle is absolutely gone.

However, a personal preference of mine is to have "punchy" bass. I like to hear the thump. This is probably very difficult with such small subs. The punchiness came from the mids on the door, even if it rattled the door.

At a casual volume (which I'm sure is a relative term) I have clean highs and somewhat diluted mids from the front. The mids seems like they are missing something. The subs are muddy and lack definition. On the other hand, as people have posted, when the volume is cranked up a bit everything seems groovy. It is still less punchy than without the filters on the mids. The sound is better because you don't hear the door rattle worse then a ragtop car.

For a couple of bucks, this definitely removes a major annoyance with the car. It also removed a sound quality that I preferred. I suppose you can't hope for too much with a stock system.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffro
... However, a personal preference of mine is to have "punchy" bass. I like to hear the thump. This is probably very difficult with such small subs. The punchiness came from the mids on the door, even if it rattled the door. ... For a couple of bucks, this definitely removes a major annoyance with the car. It also removed a sound quality that I preferred. I suppose you cant hope for too much with a stock system.
I too noticed the lack of "punch" from the doors at low volumes. I believe that somewhere on this thread is a table of different caps you can use to filter the bass. I've refined pelked1's mod after talking to a friend that does audio installs for a living. He's in Arizona or he told me he'd be here to fix it. What I did was remove the 220mf caps and replaced them with 67mf caps. They don't filter near as much bass and mid that the 220's did and I get some low-midrange back up front ... but for sure the muddy bass is still gone. Search this thread for that post on the frequency cutoff for the caps. You have to admit though, it's much better than stock.

And for those that would like a CD to listen to test your mod ... Ozric Tentacles "Spirals in Hyperspace". It's a funk/jazz/rock/electronic thing but WOW it just rocks on the system with the mods.

adoni

Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!

Thank you Pelkd1...

I went to my local car audio place and mentioned the fix you listed. To my surprise they knew all about it and said that they do it quite often to other cars.

They charged $70. After the mod even they were impressed at the sound of the stock unit (with nav). Rich sounds at all volume and the subs really thump while the rest sound crisp.

I recommend this mod highly! Try it before spending a lot of money on another unit if all you are looking for is better sound. It makes the stock, rock!

Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well ... Me too and I love it most of the time, I used 220's and at low volume it lacks body but hey I don't do LOW volume very often so "Turn It UP". Thanks this is a GREAT mod.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great sound improvement, I used the 200uf - 100V non polar caps from Amazon and soldered them directly to the red wire. The subs really do THUMP with virtually no distortion...
Thank you very very much to Pelked1.

Last edited by MI1XFIRE; 07-28-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the tip. I did the mod this weekend. Took about 30 minutes total. I think the better stereo separation is the result of the reduced bass in the door speakers. Now the bass presence comes from the rear speakers.

Quick Reply: Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod