Canada Serving Canada.

The eBay Globa. Shipping Program

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts
Default The eBay Globa. Shipping Program

I wanted a small camera item from eBay for $6.99, Shipping was $17.49, no taxes were going to be added to this low price, even so this was too much and a deal breaker for me.
I asked the seller if the price for shipping was a mistake he said it was a surprise to him it was that much.
He said he shipped it to them for $5.99, they then shipped it to me for $17.49.
Some items over a certain amount are assessed GST which again is paid by the buyer. Who keeps tabs on the amount supposedly for GST?
I do not buy items on eBay that use the Global Shipping program as they call it.
Can we say RIP OFF?

Last edited by onehundred80; 07-23-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:32 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The eBay Globa. Shipping Program

It depends on the product cost as to whether the Global shipping program will be cost effective for you. I've had some success buying several items that also fell under this program. The main use is to avoid the excessive unknown customs/duties fees once your package arrives........no surprizes. The total shipping costs quoted are all you pay , nothing added by the carrier or Customs Broker. I actually like it.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ebay GSP is a interesting beast, some days I curse at it, other days it actually isn't soo bad.

Usually when I order items that cost 20$ or more, most Canadians who order from out of country know some of the headaches that can happen. I always request it be shipped USPS, because im sure many of us are familiar with the UPS and FedEx schemes. Now this is where the GSP can be helpful, what they do is, once you order your item, and pay for the semi high "GSP" fees, the seller ships the parcel within the US to Erlanger, Kentucky, where the Pitney Bowes head distribution office is. Then it is group shipped up to Canada and usually sent via Purolator to your home. On big ticket items, it actually is a decent savings because the overall shipping is reasonable, and you don't have to worry about any taxes or such. Now on small items this is where it begins to suck.

Even on items valued for less then 20$, or for small items, the GSP program is still applied, and the shipping costs are astronomical. I usually request the seller to opt out of the GSP program and just pray they are willing to ship USPS in a small envelope or box.

I was forced to use the GSP to buy some CNC tooling and such, and the costs were very reasonable; especially considering the weight of the stuff. however I also ordered some clothing, and the GSP was not worth it, I asked the seller if they were willing to ship direct using USPS and they did.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Received 549 Likes on 461 Posts

I begrudge paying taxes on items that I know would not be taxed if it came by post. Small items are ridiculous and U.S. sellers often do not seem to care to ship to Canada, they often will not ship to Alaska etc.
I let them know that there are far more people in this world than those living in the contiguous States and they are possibly losing sales.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I begrudge paying taxes on items that I know would not be taxed if it came by post.
I cannot agree with you more!!

In my situation I look at it this way. ive bought over 350 items on ebay since ive been on there, most of it has been out of country, and only a handful of times I have been caught paying taxes on a item that was shipped postal. So I count myself lucky because im still in the green.. Wayyy into the green. lol
You win some, you loose some

I ordered a few CNC servo motors from Korea, over 2500$ of stuff, seller declared for a super low amount, it showed up here, signed and picked up at post office, I was tickled pink