Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Brakes not stopping ... anyone else

Old 07-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes not stopping ... anyone else

After having gone for over twenty years without an accident I managed to rear-end two separate cars, within 2 months of each other and at 5-10 mph ... maybe its age setting in and slowing down my reaction time ... but I am beginning to wonder if its not the brakes in the Crossfire... I am also wandering if any others on the list have had a similar problem ... not necessarily accidents but maybe close calls coming to a stop at low speeds...
Here are the details on what happened to me, both times: in traffic coming to a controlled stop (my foot on the brake) with what appeared to be sufficient distance (2-3 car lengths) to the car in front. In both cases the car in front came to a sudden near dead stop. I reacted immediately, I thought, and literally stood on the brake but could not stop before bumping into the car in front of me; I estimate that both times the speed at the time when I stomped on the brakes was no more than 10 mph (remember, I was already coming to a stop); the air bag did not deploy in either incident. Both times the nose dove, the brakes did catch, no tire squall and no tire burn marks. Scratched the Crossfire's bumper, bent the hood-latch retaining post, and cracked the plastic grille both times (nearly identical damage).
Now I am quite willing to consider/accept that maybe it is solely due to me and bad reaction time, but still wonder if there is something not quite right with the brakes... could they be fading at these low speeds ? Anyone else have anything similar happen to them?

Old 07-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brakes not stopping ... anyone else

no, the brakes are excellent and thats coming from a ex SRT-4 driver (2,800 lb car with oversized track ready brakes ... stopped like a iron anchor)...

test your theory in a controlled area to see if the car is indeed not stopping as it should ...
if you find the stock brake pads not aggressive enough, i suggest a set of hawk HPS front pads, semi metallic, grabs great... i had those on my SRT-4, 98' RT, GT PT...

Old 07-16-2006, 02:00 AM
Forum Regular

I can see what you mean, I am not that impressed with the brakes on my car.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

My car stops fine, not an issue but as I read this just wondering robwm is this the first car with ABS you've had? That could be why it feels different. Perhaps in the situations you had the ABS kicked in and if it did the brakes "stutter" to avoid skidding. Pardon me if I'm telling you something you already know.
Hope everything works out for you.

Pat

Old 07-16-2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies ... I currently have another car, and have had other cars, with ABS ... I did notice however in both incidents as that there was no "pulsing" of any sort which I have experienced with my other vehicles.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:28 PM

it may be that you are applying a slight gas peddle pressure when applying the brakes when you have a quick reaction. the gas and brake distance is very close together i have done it too. you will notice the tech go up slightly. i would take your car out to a empty parking lot and make a few very quick stops... good luck...

Old 07-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I feel the brakes are great. I have not found many street cars to be much better and,
the ones that are similar are on cars that cost more.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Forum Regular

Maybe your just driving too close to other vehicles in front of you? Remember 3 second rule, lol.

Actually the crossfire stops better than most cars I've rode in. It stops better than my old gutted AutoX civic, and that cars weight was 2,000 lbs.

Last edited by dynamicS; 07-16-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dynamicS
Maybe your just driving too close to other vehicles in front of you? Remember 3 second rule, lol.

Actually the crossfire stops better than most cars I've rode in. It stops better than my old gutted AutoX civic, and that cars weight was 2,000 lbs.
I was also thinking the same thing... He also mentioned feeling the ABS kick in with previous cars, maybe he just follows to close and/or reacts to slow?
I've never felt the ABS kick in my last two cars, and I've done some HARD braking while messing around.

Last edited by Eracer76; 07-16-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Forum Regular

Unless they are just brakes in need of replacing?? That might be another reason... but chances are you may just need to get your eyesight checked - LOL

"Objects in front of you appear to be further away then they actually are".

Old 07-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eracer76
...and I've done some HARD braking while messing around.
Although those back seat days are behind me, I usually parked while messing around. The brakes were not an issue.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Forum Regular

If you use a spray tire shine product you may get some overspray on the rotors and transfer to the pads.
Try using some brake cleaner on the rotors and install some new pads if needed. Just a suggestion, but better (and cheaper) than another accident. Good luck and throw away the spray...

Old 07-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Brakes not stopping ... anyone else

ROBWM: This is a first-time complaint on this forum in my two years here.

I don't know if your car is a new purchase, used purchase, or you've had it for awhile. But you are the first person who has raised this question...

IMO, I would check your brake system, then you can start kicking yourself in the butt for having slow reflexes, or not keeping-up on the maintenance of the car...

Old 07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDP
ROBWM: This is a first-time complaint on this forum in my two years here.
hddp... agreed.

60-0 miles-per-hour braking in approximately 115 feet... these are outstanding numbers in the automotive world.