Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Oil Change / Filter Help Please!!!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change / Filter Help Please!!!

Hey Guys- I need some help...

I just did my second oil change on my crossfire. The first oil change I did, I bought the filter at Chrysler and it was a paper style with black rubber ends. When I bought the filter last week for my new oil change, I did a search here on the forum and located a thread that gave a part number for the old paper filter, and a part number for a new so called "fleece" filter. I took the new number (000 180 26 09) and went to mercedes and bought that filter. It looks a bit different (white colored with a string molded around the filter from one end to the other). I assumed this was the new fleece filter. However, I called chrysler to verify and they stated that the part number 000 180 26 09 was the old filter and that they have been sent back and replaced with 000 180 31 09. I left the car on my lift in my garage and I'm not going to drive it until I find out which filter is the correct filter. Does anyone have an idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Oil Change / Filter Help Please!!!

Also, both the first oil change and this one, I ended up with an extra new o-ring. The oil filter kit comes with: 1-small, 2-medium, 1-large, and 1-extra large. However, when I removed the old o-rings from the oil filter shaft, there were only: 1-small, 1-medium, 1-large, and 1-extra large. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks again for your help in advance.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Funny you mention the extra "o" ring. I changed mine yesterday and was going to ask the same question. I'm actually on my third style of oil filter. The original paper, then the one you talk about with the continual spiral wound string. Now the latest one has two thick plastic bands around the filter for support.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Forum Regular

The first oil filter I used was the style you mentioned with 2 thick plastic bands around the filter. Both ends of the filter were black rubber and the center appeared to be a paper filter. The new filter I got last week from MB was a hard white style with the continuous spiral string around it. I called Chrysler and the parts guy didn't really know about the filter but said that he thinks the 000 180 31 09 was the new one. So I called MB and the parts guy immediately knew what I was talking about. He said that the filter with the spiral string was the fleece filter and it was the newest filter from Mercedes. I wish Chrysler had the knowledge of MB.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I bought a filter earlier in the year and it came in a small box Chrysler part# 05183748AA Mecedes # A 000 180 31 09. Then I bought one recently and was told it was the new style with Chrysler # 05114263AA and Mercedes # A 112 180 07 10. So what on earth did I get?

Old 08-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I called my Mercedes dealership was told this:
A 000 180 31 09 was replaced by A 000 180 26 09
and here is a picture of it http://www.joetlc.com/images/0001802209x2.jpg

A 112 180 07 10 is the entire kit, filter, cap and all.

Last edited by Ronman; 08-17-2006 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure whatever filter the dealership sells me is good. Regardless if it is the 'new' one or the 'old' one.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dirtboy
I figure whatever filter the dealership sells me is good. Regardless if it is the 'new' one or the 'old' one.
The paper filters were recalled and the stealerships are not supposed to be selling them. So much for the whatever they sell is good comment...

Have you seen the "old" paper and the "newer" fleece filter? If you have, I believe most people would vote new is better. And stay away from the Fram and STP paper filters, they are trash.

Last edited by ben47; 08-18-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM

I agree...cheap paper won't hold up well 7K +. Any ideas on the "o" ring question. Why are there now five when before there were 4. Is there an updated oil tube? Why two of the mid size rings?

Old 08-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the Chrysler dealer a few weeks ago to buy a filter, and they tried selling me the one that had just two plastic straps around the filter element. It just didn't look like a "quality' part. The straps were even crooked. I went over the Mercedes dealer and picked up one that had the continuious thread wrapped around the element, part # A 000 180 26 09. This will be the 4th filter that I've purchased from them in 15k miles.
On a side note. I've been changing my oil around every 3,500 miles, and my engine has been as quiet as a church mouse. But the last time I decided to take it to 5k before changing. When I went out to start it after sitting for a few days, there was alot of "clicking" going on (sounded like lifters) that I've never heard before. Finally after it ran for a few minutes it quieted down.
I'm going back to my original plan of changing the oil and filter at every 3 or 4k miles.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:49 AM

You can't purchase a regular quality filter (K&N/Mobil 1) for these cars!? WTF?

Old 08-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by distantpulse
You can't purchase a regular quality filter (K&N/Mobil 1) for these cars!? WTF?
You ask WTF?

As mentioned before... Fram and STP sell regular quality filters. So does Mobil 1. They are all in the $10 - $11 range, but you get what you pay for. They are of lessor quality than the old OEM paper filters and not nearly as good as the newer fleece filter, which sell for $18.50 at the dealerships.

Remember, you're dealing with an engine that the manufacturer list oil change intervals at 7,000 miles, or whatever the FSS shows. A cheap paper filter will not hold up.

You want cheap? The Crossfire ain't. It is an expensive car to maintain from oil filters to tires and everything in between.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Forum Regular

Part 000-180-26-09 is the current filter. We have 1,531 on hand as I type this.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:25 PM

A note on the extra O ring. I believe that was included for those who drain their oil using the drain plug. It a replacement for the seal on the drain plug. Since I pump out my oil, i just throw it away.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Forum Regular

The drain plug uses a metal crush washer, not a rubber o-ring.

Old 08-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
You ask WTF?
As mentioned before... Fram and STP sell regular quality filters. So does Mobil 1. They are all in the $10 - $11 range, but you get what you pay for. They are of lessor quality than the old OEM paper filters and not nearly as good as the newer fleece filter, which sell for $18.50 at the dealerships.

Remember, you're dealing with an engine that the manufacturer list oil change intervals at 7,000 miles, or whatever the FSS shows. A cheap paper filter will not hold up.

You want cheap? The Crossfire ain't. It is an expensive car to maintain from oil filters to tires and everything in between.
Ok, so let me get this straight...The extra $8.50 or so per oil change will make the difference in how long your "protection" lasts?? Gimmie a break. A micron is a micron. If the filter says down to "10" micron, well...Ok, so you may be right about the OEM paper filters and the new fleece filter being of higher quality. I don't know, but why couldn't you just use a high end Mobil-1/K&N filter with fully synthetic 5-30 (which doesn't break down) and change every 5,000 miles like I do on my daily
driver... Believe me you would be fine if you did that.
I use the Mobil-1 or K&N filters on my race cars too! Never had an issue, even when the Cuda was spitting shavings of metal (for 2 years, lol) out in the pan/oil from a couple of rocker arms rubbing the wrong way and one or two cam lobes beginning to wipe. Of course that got an oil change about every 75-100 passes. I just had the motor out of the cuda and everything looked great for having over 1,500 runs on it. To each his own I suppose.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think ben47 is referring to the life of the paper in the filter on extended changes, not the micron rating. I agree, at 7,000 mile intervals instead of 3,000 miles I will pay the extra $$.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by distantpulse
Ok, so you may be right about the OEM paper filters and the new fleece filter being of higher quality. I don't know, but why couldn't you just use a high end Mobil-1/K&N filter with fully synthetic 5-30 (which doesn't break down) and change every 5,000 miles like I do on my dailydriver... Believe me you would be fine if you did that.
First of all, I have seen the STP, FRAM and the Mobil 1 filters for the Crossfire. They ARE NOT of the same quality as the OEM paper filters. The aftermarket filters were all made of very flimsy material. MB saw fit to switch to the fleece filter and it is very obvious they are better quality filter than their old paper ones.

Second, MB recommends Mobil 1 0W-40 oil for the Crossfire, not 5W-30. I would think the engineers that designed the 3.2L V6 would Know best what to put in their engines. I would dare say, most members here would agree with sticking with the 0W-40 oil.

Third, if you wanna go cheap, then by all means follow your instincts. The pros and cons of what filters to use and how often to change oil has been talked about many, many times in the past...

...and as PaulW said above, I am referring to how the paper holds up against the fleece filters for extended use. The Crossfire has a Flexible Service System (FSS) that tells you when service is due. The countdown starts at 7,000 miles. you may get more miles or less, it all depends on how and under what conditions the car is driven. DC can not void any warranty if an owner follows the FSS.

Last edited by ben47; 08-18-2006 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ben47
The paper filters were recalled and the stealerships are not supposed to be selling them. So much for the whatever they sell is good comment...
I have no way of knowing what is a valid filter and what is not, if the dealership doesn't tell me.

Likewise they can't void my warranty for a dealer mistake. And exactly one month from now the car goes back to Chrysler and my troubles are gone.

So, as far as I am concerned, whatever they sell me is good. It's not like they are going to check anyways. And if it did cause problems, I will just show them my receipt from their parts department!

Old 08-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As I've mentioned in the past, all the more reason for not using any other filter on the XF other than the one you buy over a Chrysler, or Mercedes dealer parts counter "WARRANTY".
If anything even remotely "oil related" ever goes wrong with your car, and you have a Fram, Mobil 1, Toilet paper, or what ever other type of filter you may want to use, you can be sure Chrysler will try to get out of fixing it for free because of it.
Of all the ways people can come up with to save a nickel on the cost of Crossfire ownership. I believe deviating from what type of oil, (Mobil 1, 0- W-30) and what type of filter (aftermarket vs OEM) are the two some owners are taking the biggest gamble on. (next I would say is using a lower octane of fuel).
If owning a Crossfire is making you go over budget every month, then maybe you can cut corners else where in your life. Quit smoking, cut back on the beer intake, cut down on the number of times you stop at "fast food" places, don't buy so many lottery tickets, put off getting that next tattoo, or body piercing, give up drugs, drop cable, work more overtime, etc.
For the enjoyment one gets from owing a Crossfire, it should be well worth giving up any of those other things for.

Quick Reply: Oil Change / Filter Help Please!!!