Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

key marks on aero blue pearl crossfire

Old 08-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key marks on aero blue pearl crossfire

I'm sure this question has been answered time and time again but someone keyed my car the other day and now I have scratches on the passenger side and passenger side hood. I can't believe idiots have nothing better to do then be jealous and do this. What are the best products to get to help remove and touchup these key marks on a car. I see alot of products which say gets rid of blob marks once touched up do any of these work and if so can you tell the car has been touched up and does it strip or harm your original factory paint? I'm sooo pissed that some jerk would key my new car and now I need help fixing it?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: key marks on aero blue pearl crossfire

Option 1: I'm not a paint or body expert!... Consult someone who has worked with modern finishes before attempting this or any similar procedure! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

You can get factory touch up paint and once the wax is removed, you can with a fine brush paint into the scratches until they are covered completely.

Let the paint cure 48 hours.

Then you will probably have to get some super fine polishing cloth... 2,500 - 3,000 grit and carefully polish the painted over scratches with the cloth. Then get your car rewaxed or rewax it yourself.

Option 2: This is the way I would do it... get it professionally done. Not a full respray, just touch up and repair. Have your insurance cover it if it's more than your deductible... that's why you get comprehensive coverage in the first place.

Last edited by MMZ_TimeLord; 08-25-2006 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Re: key marks on aero blue pearl crossfire

Two words for you: "Justifiable Homicide". Man, the world is full of jerks.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Re: key marks on aero blue pearl crossfire

What in the world where they thinking when they decided, I'm going to key this car? Who thinks like that?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: key marks on aero blue pearl crossfire

Unfortunately the world is full of idiots, my Father use to always tell me that 'no matter where you go there is always one A$$#@le".

Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxfirerican
I'm sure this question has been answered time and time again but someone keyed my car the other day and now I have scratches on the passenger side and passenger side hood. I can't believe idiots have nothing better to do then be jealous and do this. What are the best products to get to help remove and touchup these key marks on a car. I see alot of products which say gets rid of blob marks once touched up do any of these work and if so can you tell the car has been touched up and does it strip or harm your original factory paint? I'm sooo pissed that some jerk would key my new car and now I need help fixing it?
It depends on how deep the scratches are. If they are not deep and confined to the clear coat you can try polishing compounds or even wet sanding if you are very careful and patient. If the scratches go into your blue base coat of paint I'm afraid you will probably need to have it repaired by a paint shop. It is very difficult to match the paint on your own. It's also difficult to get tough up paint to evenly fill the scratches unless you are meticulous and experienced with sanding. A botched repair attempt might look worse than the original scratches.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Forum Regular

Yep, this has been talked about too many times here. Several members have had the same unfortunate experience. The world is full of a$$holes whose sole purpose in life should be: ...working as a poster child promoting the use of the morning after pill and birth control, using themselves as the example of what can happen. (Just kidding folks, I don't want to offend the right to life crowd).

I agree with TimeLord and Rob M... get it fixed at a good body shop and use your insurance, that way you will never know where the damage was done. Forget about touch up paint, some colors such as SSB aren't even close to the original color and it's hard to make it look good unless you know what you are doing. The stuff you see on TV that wipes away scratches is snake oil, don't waste your money

Where in Arizona did it happen, a parking lot in Metro City Mall?

From now on, watch where you park AND don't ever even think about taking up two spots, no matter how far out in left field you park.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by ben47; 08-25-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the cops and your insurance agent. There is no way you can "fix" key marks if they're too deep to be polished out. Have a reputable, professional repair shop do it!
Then hunt down the panty wasted paint penetrating pervert. Pummel him and put him in prison.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree that A$$holes know no race, sex, religious, economic or political barrier... there are always A$$holes in one group or another.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:23 PM

I know when I contacted langka and the other places that offer paint chip kits they told me they don't really work on key marks. My insurance will cover it but i must pay the $500 dollar deductible which sucks. I have 2 key marks one about an inch long and one a little over an inch long. How much typically do these cost to repair? Will they have to repaint the whole door or do body repair shops fill them in some how and just paint the spot? I want it to look like I didn't have any work done. Damn the person that keyed my car!!! Karma is a bi*&%!!!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:07 PM

If the mark doesn't penetrate the color coat, apply several coats of clear with a fine bristle brush until it is slightly higher than the factory clearcoat. Be sure to let each coat dry before applying the next. Block sand wet with 1,500 grit sandpaper until its level with the surrounding clear. Then buff to a shine, polish, then wax. Ask your local paint store salesman about the proper materials for use on clearcoat.