Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rear End Noise...

Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Noise...

Andrew's "Service Nightmare" thread was being hijacked, so I started this one to address the rear differential problem...
Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I have told them that and none of the dealerships I take it to will listen to me. It's very expensive to replace the rear end on these cars and in doing so will throw off there dollar to warranty percentage.
Go to your dealer, have them initiate a repair order on the rear end noise. Once it's documented they have to put their findings down in order to close it out. They cannot just refuse to look at a problem.

Yes, it is very expensive to replace the differential, but that's not your problem. There is no such thing as a "dollar to warranty percentage" that I know of. The dealership gets paid by Chrysler to do the work, grant you... for a much lower price than if you had to pay for it.

Attached are copies of my repair order to check out the noise I heard and the corrective action.

Once again, good luck...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Copy of 001.jpg (106.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg
Copy of 002.jpg (90.0 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by ben47; 09-08-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Rear End Noise...

Ben,
Thanks for posting this up again. I think I mentioned that I have the howl too as mentioned by 13dog previously. Mine is consistently heard at 80 mph (give or take +/- 3 mph). It more like a humm, but it only is apparent at that speed and goes away if I'm over or under that speed. Question, is it really an issue worth getting the rear changed? Is it damaging the car?

Did your repair fix the problem?

Thanks,
SS

Old 09-09-2006, 02:09 AM
Unhappy Re: Rear End Noise...

What is the mileage on these vehicles with the rear end noise? Does anyone know if all the differentials for the xfires are supplied by the same manufacturer? Curious.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cop, I've got about 5.5K on mine. Don't know about any difference in suppliers for the Diff.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the noise right at 75 mph. Not very loud, and it almost sounds like the tires whining. The way I look at it, I've got a 7/70 powertrain warranty so I'm going to leave it as-is for another three years or 40,000 miles and let the DC mechanics get a little practice at changing rear ends before I bring mine in.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been to three different dealerships plus the MB dealer, and I've been lied to. I've been told thats its tire noise, rear gear whine, and exhaust drone. Trying to get this fixed can get so stressful at times, not to mention trying to work 40+ hours a week and go to school for 14, I have to take a break from the dealerships and deal with life. It easy to just go to your dealership and say "I've got a rear end whine and the rear end needs to be replaced or repaired, but its not very easy to get them to say, ok when would you like to bring it in. They don't have to report there findings when it's over the posted speed limit. They just simply say it can't be duplicated. I've found that they don't even run the car on the interstate instead they put it on the rack and spin the tires at 80 mph.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sennaspirit
Ben, Thanks for posting this up again. I think I mentioned that I have the howl too as mentioned by 13dog previously. Mine is consistently heard at 80 mph (give or take +/- 3 mph). It more like a humm, but it only is apparent at that speed and goes away if I'm over or under that speed.

Question, is it really an issue worth getting the rear changed? Is it damaging the car?

Did your repair fix the problem?

Thanks,
SS
You’re welcome.

Yes, my noise was a humming noise, much like what you hear from snow or truck tires. As far as getting it fixed, the noise drove me nuts nor is it normal, the gears in the rear end are not right and will only get worse over time.

Yes, the rear end swap fixed the problem.

The mileage on my car was 14k when I had mine fixed.

Good luck to all with the problem…

Old 09-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ben47
You’re welcome.

Yes, my noise was a humming noise, much like what you hear from snow or truck tires. As far as getting it fixed, the noise drove me nuts nor is it normal, the gears in the rear end are not right and will only get worse over time.

Yes, the rear end swap fixed the problem.

The mileage on my car was 14k when I had mine fixed.

Good luck to all with the problem…
I have that same noise and thought it was the tires. It sounds like a pick up truck with big tires on it or a car with snow tires. I was going to go out tonight and put a different set of tires/rims on it. Maybe I should go to the dealership and see what they say. It vibrates the interior at around 40.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:44 PM

I've got the noise that starts at about 60 miles per hour. Its a very faint humming I thought maybe tires need balanced or perhaps a bent wheel. Has any one looked into those to things before blaming it on the differential?

'04 coupe, 10k miles

Old 10-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Angry Re: Rear End Noise...

I have a '04 with 28,800 miles. I'm just starting to get the same hum. The dealer blamed the tires, just as I expected they would, but the complaint is registered. I have another question that relates to dealership service, but I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

I purchased my '04 used. When I tried to transfer the 7/70 warranty I was told that the original buyer did not buy it so I couldn't. Has anyone else heard this & is there a way to get it?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Forum Regular

If you are talking about the "original manufacture's" 3 year 36k mile bumper and the 7 year 70k powertrain warranties, it transfers with the car. There is nothing to buy. Now, an extended warranty may be a different story.

Back to the original topic... do not let your dealer screw you on the rear end noise issue, it will only get worse over time. Dealers have a trouble shooting guide of known issues. Have your "service manager" type in noise, rear end. It's there, I've seen it.

I had an issue with my service writer telling me the car has moving parts and noise is to be expected. I told him he was an as*hole and a jerk to think I would accept that reply. I went over to another service writer's booth, asked to talk to him, explained my situation with the previous guy and asked if he was willing to work with me in getting my car fixed now and in the future. He apologized for the other guy, looked up the issue and told me it was most likey the rear end. They took my car in, popped off the diff cover and checked for metal shavings. The complete rear end was ordered, received and installed within 7 working days... no more noise.

Last edited by ben47; 10-27-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 PM

You mentioned a troubleshooting guide, you saw in their computer system. Do you think they have a technical service bulletin "TSB" on this problem, perhaps that I could acquire from Chrysler so when I go in to the dealer for service I can be armed with that and they don't give me any flack. I would like to go in before my 3 years bumper to warranty is up this spring so I can get my rental car allowance and such...

Has anyone got a rental car allowance after the 3 years/36,000 miles was up? i.e. just powertrain warranty service?

'04 coupe 6 spd. 10k miles

Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular

There is no TSB on the issue... not every problem gets one. Just go to the dealer, stand your ground and let them know there have been other cars with the problem and the rear end has been changed out. Welcome to the world of 5 Star dealer customer service.

The loaner car ends with the 36 month warranty.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Old 01-13-2007, 04:08 PM

I realize this is a late post on this issue, but:

I just purchased an '04 with 30,500 miles... I am the second owner... The warranty is tranferable to the second to the second owner of the car; it says this in the owners manual... My transfer was $162 including sales tax.

'04's came with the 7/70 powertrain and 36 Month/36,000 basic... The '05's did not, only 36 Months/36,000 miles... Hmmm? Do you think they are trying to avoid paying for these differentials?

I will be listening very closely to mine...

However, if you have an '04 you should have the 7/70...

Old 01-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhacker382
I realize this is a late post on this issue, but:

I just purchased an '04 with 30,500 miles... I am the second owner... The warranty is transferable to the second to the second owner of the car; it says this in the owners manual... My transfer was $162 including sales tax.

'04's came with the 7/70 powertrain and 36 Month/36,000 basic... The '05's did not, only 36 Months/36,000 miles... Hmmm? Do you think they are trying to avoid paying for these differentials?

I will be listening very closely to mine...

However, if you have an '04 you should have the 7/70...
Just wanted to clarify...'05 Crossfires have the 7/70 power-train also...It was dropped for 2006 and beyond...

Ben

Old 01-13-2007, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Just wanted to clarify...'05 Crossfires have the 7/70 power-train also...It was dropped for 2006 and beyond...

Ben
Thanks for correcting my error Ben; I am trying to learn as much as possible... Guess you do that when you're in love with something...

Did you realize they are still pricing "2005" model years at Chrysler.com?

Old 01-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Ben
I don't think the above information is correct. I bought a 2005 SRT6 new from the dealer, and according to my window sticker, my car came with a 3 yr/36,000 mi "Basic Limited Warranty." In addition to that, I have the "2005 SRT Vehicles Warranty Information" booklet. It states that in addition to the 3/36,000 basic warranty, I have 3yr/unlimited mileage Anti-Corrosion Perforation Warranty - All Panels; a 5 yr/100,000 mi Outer Panel Anti-Corrosion Warranty; and an 8 yr/80,000 mi Federal Emission Warranty. There is no provision stating a 7 yr/70,000 mi warranty of any kind, Powertrain or otherwise. For this reason, (and for the fact that I purchased mine at $18,000 off sticker!), I did buy Chrysler's 7 yr/60,000 MaxCare Extended Warranty for $2,200. It's supposed to cover EVERYTHING! (except tires, belts, lubricants, that stuff) I hope this is true when it comes time to visit the dealer service department. I haven't had to go in yet for anything.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by tooltym
In addition to that, I have the "2005 SRT Vehicles Warranty Information" booklet. It states that in addition to the 3/36,000 basic warranty, I have 3 yr/unlimited mileage Anti-Corrosion Perforation Warranty - All Panels; a 5 yr/100,000 mi Outer Panel Anti-Corrosion Warranty; and an 8 yr/80,000 mi Federal Emission Warranty. There is no provision stating a 7 yr/70,000 mi warranty of any kind, Powertrain or otherwise.
This concurs with what I was also told...

Is the SRT different than the Coupe as far as coverage's are concerned?

Last edited by rhacker382; 01-15-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tooltym
I don't think the above information is correct. I bought a 2005 SRT6 new from the dealer, and according to my window sticker, my car came with a 3 yr/36,000 mi "Basic Limited Warranty." In addition to that, I have the "2005 SRT Vehicles Warranty Information" booklet. It states that in addition to the 3/36,000 basic warranty, I have 3 yr/unlimited mileage Anti-Corrosion Perforation Warranty - All Panels; a 5 yr/100,000 mi Outer Panel Anti-Corrosion Warranty; and an 8 yr/80,000 mi Federal Emission Warranty. There is no provision stating a 7yr/70,000 mi warranty of any kind, Powertrain or otherwise. For this reason, (and for the fact that I purchased mine at $18,000 off sticker!), I did buy Chrysler's 7 yr/60,000 MaxCare Extended Warranty for $2,200. It's supposed to cover EVERYTHING! (except tires, belts, lubricants, that stuff) I hope this is true when it comes time to visit the dealer service department. I haven't had to go in yet for anything.
Tooltym...Additional Clarification...Sorry...you may be correct ...I know that the 2005 basic and limited models came with a 3 yr/36,000 mi B to B and a 7 yr/70,000 mi Power-train warrenty...but not sure if that was true for the SRT6 model.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM

Tooltym...Additional Clarification...Sorry...you may be correct ...I know that the 2005 basic and limited models came with a 3 yr/36,000 mi B to B and a 7 yr/70,000 mi Power-train warrenty...but not sure if that was true for the SRT6 model.
SRT6s never had the 7/70,000 -- only the basic 3/36,000. Sometimes superchargers have a way of doing that...

Quick Reply: Rear End Noise...