Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Crossfire must go...any Lemon Law advice?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossfire must go...any Lemon Law advice?

I've had it...after 15 months owning this car, and it being non-operational for 8 of those...I've just had it! Only problem is that I've really only had two issues with the car. I was rear-ended on the freeway, and despite having the body shop and like 5 different dealerships involved, it took 7 months to get my car back. Apparently not a mechanic in the country knew how to put it together again. Seriously, they had to take pictures of the parts and the car and send them to an engineer in germany, and he sent back notes on how to fix it. Then they were held up trying to translate the technical verbiage to english.

So recently it developed the popping out of first gear problem. I took it in and they told me 2 or 3 days. First off, they broke the trans case trying to disassemble it, so they had to order a new one. They get it finished and it pops out worse than when I took it in. So they order a new transmission, which I've been promised would be installed too many times to remember, and now they claim they can't get the transmission. It's almost a month so far this time.

I don't know if there's a minimum number of issues that have to go wrong before the Lemon Law applies, but having my car less than 50% of the time I've owned it seems like a good case to me. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Default Re: Crossfire must go...any Lemon Law advice?

i doubt damaged cause by an accident that had to go to 5 different mechanics will cover you for a lemon. the car was damaged in an accident, and i don't know for sure, but i have a feeling they may say the other party is responsible or you are and you would have to get money through the insurance. its not the cars fault it was damaged. the first gear thing, sounds like a nightmare, i'm glad it never happened to me (knock on wood). good luck, sorry to hear about all the pita problems you had.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Forum Regular

I agree that damage caused by an accident would not be covered under lemon laws, but the first gear issue would be. Typically you have to have had the same issue for a certain number of times or the car has to be out of commission for a certain number of days. The time periods vary from state to state. Do a google search and there is a website that has the lemon laws for all states on it. I think the link has been posted here before, so search the forums.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

You need to have the car out of commission a total of 15 days or the same problem has to be worked on 3 times without success and it all has to be documented. If any of those apply to you then the next thing you have to do is put Chrysler on final notice.

When you got the car, part of the paperwork should have been a booklet that includes the filing process based on your state and the form needed to put Chrysler on final notice. If you did not get that, then do a search on the internet based on your state for Lemon Law - that form will also be out there.

I went through the process, as many on this site know, and after 4 months and 3 days and a different dealer, my car was fixed and has been fine ever since. If its a legit problem they will do what they can to fix it.

But you have to follow the law.

Good luck...

Old 11-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Just my 2 cents but,
If the car was standing still, Chrysler could easily argue the accident caused the problem with the transmission.

carl

Old 11-24-2006, 05:39 PM

I doubt that Chrysler would be successful in claiming that the accident is causing the problem with the transmission, as there is a known issue with cars prior to a certain build date.

I too have experienced the problem with the transmission popping out of first gear. I should have taken it back the first time it happened however it seemed then as if I might not have been placing it all the way in gear. I try to ensure that I put it all the way in gear just incase, which might be silly but I have not had the problem in several months, granted I do not drive the car as much as I used to.

I'm thinking of bringing it to the dealer to have it taken care of anyways, but I am hesitant due to the issues everyone has had with their local dealerships. I'm located in Knoxville, TN if anyone around here has had this issue successfully repaired, I would interested to know which dealer you took it to. From what I could find on the internet, there are only two of them in my immediate area.

I'd also like to get an alignment, as the car is pulling to the right but I'm not thinking I want to bring it to a dealer as they over charge for repairs. Can anyone in the Knoxville, TN area recommend a mechanic they trust with their Crossfire? Would appreciate it, would like to get it taken care of next time I'm home.

Old 11-24-2006, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonaln67
You need to have the car out of commission a total of 15 days or the same problem has to be worked on 3 times without success and it all has to be documented. If any of those apply to you then the next thing you have to do is put Chrysler on final notice.

When you got the car, part of the paperwork should have been a booklet that includes the filing process based on your state and the form needed to put Chrysler on final notice. If you did not get that, then do a search on the internet based on your state for Lemon Law - that form will also be out there.

I went through the process, as many on this site know, and after 4 months and 3 days and a different dealer, my car was fixed and has been fine ever since. If its a legit problem they will do what they can to fix it.

But you have to follow the law.

Good luck...
This is exactly what I went through and what I did. Chrysler bought my car back for every cent I had paid to date. For all the details you could do a search under my screen name "GoodEnough" and/or lemon law.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by GoodEnough
This is exactly what I went through and what I did. Chrysler bought my car back for every cent I had paid to date.
Were you able to recoup the interest you paid?

Old 11-25-2006, 06:33 PM

They paid everything. Down payment, & all monthly payments. Basically everything I had paid to that point. Tax, title, doc fees... were incorporated into my monthly payments so yes, they paid everything.

There is a formula they calculate $$ for the mileage that you put on the car up to the time of your first visit for the problem. Since I only had the car for 48 hours and 50 miles, I didn't have to pay anything.