CrossfireForum.org

Register Photos FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read vBLiveVendor Directory
- CLICK HERE TO GET RID OF THESE ADS -
Go Back   CrossfireForum.org > Cars > Crossfire Coupe

Welcome to Crossfire Forum!
Welcome to Crossfire Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please
join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 PM

Default check engine light with P0140 code

I love my Crossfire...but need some help.

I am still having an intermittent problem with my Crossfire. Over a period of 15 months, I have had my Crossfire into the Dealer for my Check Engine light coming on. Always...the code is the same; P0140...Secondary Air Injection Pump. Each time, they replace a part, reset the light and it's stays off for 1-4 months...and each time they say they found the problem...put in a new part...and we start over again. I've believe I've read all the comments posted on this forum on this subject.

So far...they have replaced:
1. The air pump
2. The open frame relay PCB module located in the Black Wire Box
3. The pump solenoid

They are awaiting feedback from Chrysler...since they can not cause it to fail...and this time...they had the car for a week...trying to make it fail.

From previous forum member inputs...the Check Valve...may be the next thing to try...but they need Chrysler's approval to do that...since the component checks out OK. The dealer just says that intermittent problems usually never get solved...you need to wait until they fail hard...in order to diagnose the problem.

I am really frustrated...and want to document this so if my warranty runs out, and I still have the problem...I can hopefully get it repaired under warranty...as a pre existing condition.

Also...after 4 fails for the same problem...does that qualify this under the "Lemon Law"???

If they still can not fix it this time...maybe taking it to another dealer may help.

Any comments or help from this great Forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BRappaport
'05 Limited Crossfire - Aero Blue Roadster
Autostick
Purchased New - Feb. 2006
Speaker Cap. Upgrade added
Raggtopp Brand Cleaner and Protectant for Top
Radiator Recall done
Secondary Air injection pump replaced
Third Brake Light Replaced
Both valve covers replaced
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: check engine light with P0410

Sorry...The Check engine code was P0410...not P0140.

Did anyone else have this problem where the dealer did not resolve the problem...and the MIL light and code came back?

BRappaport
'05 Limited Crossfire - Aero Blue Roadster
Autostick
Purchased New - Feb. 2006
Speaker Cap. Upgrade added
Raggtopp Brand Cleaner and Protectant for Top
Radiator Recall done
Secondary Air injection pump replaced
Third Brake Light Replaced
Both valve covers replaced
Old 10-07-2007, 10:11 AM
Senior Member/Moderator

Default Re: check engine light with P0140 code

Maybe related maybe not(understand you have a different problem). We just got a real clean '04 C240 4Matic Benz. The first weekend home we noticed the BAS/EPS warning screen came on. (Same thing Crossfires do, mines done it twice now). Any way we take it in the tech pulls the codes and replaces a wiring harness. Drive home light comes on again. Take it back Friday and they pull the same code, different remedy. They are now replacing a sensor. This particular dealership seems to be pretty on top of things, nice people. I asked the tech why they didn't see that the first time and he said there is a "protocol' to the repair. In other words try this first. he explained the second fix, which they had to order the sensor for, will be much more expensive and timely (thank God the car has a bumper to bumper warranty). Might be BS, but to me it sounds reasonable. So that might be what's going on with your repair. It seems Daimler/Chrysler looks for the quickest, inexpensive way to fix a problem because there are so many components involved. Not sure just a guess. Hope they fix your issue soon.

Pat

Last edited by patpur; 10-07-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Re: check engine light with P0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRappaport
Sorry...The Check engine code was P0410...not P0140.

Did anyone else have this problem where the dealer did not resolve the problem...and the MIL light and code came back?
P410
POSSIBLE CAUSES
  • AIR PUMP VOLTAGE SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
  • AIR PUMP VOLTAGE SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
  • AIR PUMP GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
  • CRACKING, MISSING, MISROUTED, OR PLUGGED VACUUM LINES.
  • AIR PUMP SWITCHOVER VALVES
  • AIR PUMP RELAY
  • AIR PUMP
  • POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Graphite Metallic 2005 Coupe Ltd
Dark Slate Gray/Cedar Two-Tone Interior, 6spd MT
TVT_Design ECU TUNE
Build#= 034148
SL500 V8 Air Intake w/ K&N Filters

GTG's of Note:Carlisle 2007, 2009
Newport, Rhode Island Cruise, 2008
Mystic, Connecticut Cruise, 2009
MOPARS in Mystic - Chrysler Owners group, June 27, 2009

Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 AM

Smile Re: check engine light with P0140 code

My CrossFire is a 2004 with 24,000 miles. I have the same intermittent engine light problem which occurred after the warrantee period and the dealer has changed the air soleniod and PCM.
The car is out of warrantee so I paid for the solenoid replacement, however the PCM was changed and not charged. Chrysler picked it up even after the warrentee period.
The light came on again and I will be returning to the dealer in several weeks for regular service and will see what happens.
I have had no other problems with the car.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM

The PCM was a no charge to you since it is under a FEDERAL MANDATE of 8 yrs. or 80,000 miles coverage. I understand they go for about $1700.00 retail!! Good luck on the CEL code mystery.
Crossfireone
Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM

just had the same code on mine. waiting for parts now. Had to take it in twice. First time it was reset and told that it was air temp change(was on vacation so i didn'n take it in my brother did). Second time took some persuading(yelling) to have it looked at furtherthan resetting it.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM

I am having this issue...what is the pcm? where is the pump and sensor located?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM

The PCM is located on the left side engine compartment.
The secondary air pump is on the front of the engine under air intake,
the sensor is on the air pump
Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 PM

the PCM is the power control module
Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM

I assume from Crossfireone's response that the emision control system is warantied for 8/80. Is that correct???

Don

Other Rides:
'03 Viper SRT 10
'08 Chrysler 300C
'06 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Took my car in today for the same code. This is the second time. They put it on the computer for a fee, and Code P0140 came up and the report says for "Injection System Relay Circiut". They reset the code. It passed all tests and of course they weren't able to bring back on the Check engine light!

So I was told if it happened again to bring it back, and they would change out ??? and credit back my $120.00 towards my deductable. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty.

And it seems for some reason, I'm getting about 40 miles less to a tank right now. Not sure why.

I will keep you posted, if I take it back in soon. Which last time the light came on within the month, but I told by another service writter that I would have to pay to put it back on the computer. That's not correct, according to the service guy today.

Cruiser
2004 Alabaster Autostick #7291

2003 Mercedes SL500
Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Took my car in today for the same code. This is the second time. They put it on the computer for a fee, and Code P0140 came up and the report says for "Injection System Relay Circiut". They reset the code. It passed all tests and of course they weren't able to bring back on the Check engine light!

So I was told if it happened again to bring it back, and they would change out ??? and credit back my $120.00 towards my deductable. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty.

And it seems for some reason, I'm getting about 40 miles less to a tank right now. Not sure why.

I will keep you posted, if I take it back in soon.

Cruiser
2004 Alabaster Autostick #7291

2003 Mercedes SL500

Old 11-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Advertisement