Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Rain Leak / Passenger Side

Old 06-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rain Leak / Passenger Side

Raining cats and dogs today in Oklahoma City. Walk out to the car this morning to head to work and find 1 1/2 inches of water in the passanger floor board. Leaking from under the dash!!!!

Did not have time to inspect so put the car in the garage and took the hybrid to work.

Anyone else have any problems like this? I have only owned my x-fire (2005 Coupe) for about a month and LOVE IT!!! But this water is very upsetting .

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 06-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rain Leak / Passanger Side

Check the cabin air filter. If the cabin air filter is soaked then you have your answer.

Could be rain flowing into the HVAC inlet.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 457 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by OSUfan76
Raining cats and dogs today in Oklahoma City. Walk out to the car this morning to head to work and find 1 1/2 inches of water in the passanger floor board. Leaking from under the dash!!!!

Did not have time to inspect so put the car in the garage and took the hybrid to work.

Anyone else have any problems like this? I have only owned my x-fire (2005 Coupe) for about a month and LOVE IT!!! But this water is very upsetting .

Thanks,
Chris
I saved this post from this forum to a file on my PC.
I don't recall where it was but I saved it on May 28,this year:

Water leaking into car floor

I have found some answers to some questions that have been asked on the forum and really never answered. While having the top cowl at the wipers off you can see inside and under the cowl and one thing I found out that we do have heated sprayers for our windshield washers. Another answer to a problem is some members have posted that they have had water come in their cars at the foot well on the passenger side. After taking off the cowl you can see inside there are 4 drain compartments for water. One in the middle which has a funnel shaped drain made of plastic, one on the drivers side which drains at the drivers side door, and two on the passenger side. This is where the problem starts for water leaking inside the car. There are two compartments side by side divided by a metal wall with a rubber flap so the first one can drain the water into the second one which drains at the passenger side door. The problem is the outside one(second one) fills up with leaves, dirt and debris which in turn blocks the rubber flap not allowing the water to drain from the first one which starts to fill up water and ends up draining thru the the fan motor hole which is about 3 inches by 6 inches. So even with a little back up of water just going around turns can make the water slosh around and spill into the opening. I took a shop vac and cleaned mine out and though mine wasn't backed up it was on its way to backing up as there was about 1/2 inch of debris there. I think I will clean this area at least once a year. You guys that have garage kept xfires probably won't find much in there but if your car is kept outside I would check it at least once a year especially if your car is around trees. One xfire mod finds two answers to questions on the forum.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Ok, Finally got home to inspect the problem. Opened up the Fan motor cover (under the passenger side dash) and it was filled with water. Will check to see if it is still working once the thing has a chance to dry out.

Checked the Cabin Filter and it was a little damp but not soaking like the motor.

I will pull the cover off up top and do the recommended cleaning when I get home from dinner tonight (don't you hate those obligations that take you away from the impotant stuff...lol)

Thank you both for the responses. Now.....

Anyone know of a perm solution to this problem? Not fun waking to a swimming pool in your new car... lol

Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY

I have found some answers to some questions that have been asked on the forum and really never answered. While having the top cowl at the wipers off you can see inside and under the cowl and one thing I found out that we do have heated sprayers for our windshield washers. Another answer to a problem is some members have posted that they have had water come in their cars at the foot well on the passenger side. After taking off the cowl you can see inside there are 4 drain compartments for water. One in the middle which has a funnel shaped drain made of plastic, one on the drivers side which drains at the drivers side door, and two on the passenger side. This is where the problem starts for water leaking inside the car. There are two compartments side by side divided by a metal wall with a rubber flap so the first one can drain the water into the second one which drains at the passenger side door. The problem is the outside one(second one) fills up with leaves, dirt and debris which in turn blocks the rubber flap not allowing the water to drain from the first one which starts to fill up water and ends up draining thru the the fan motor hole which is about 3 inches by 6 inches. So even with a little back up of water just going around turns can make the water slosh around and spill into the opening. I took a shop vac and cleaned mine out and though mine wasn't backed up it was on its way to backing up as there was about 1/2 inch of debris there. I think I will clean this area at least once a year. You guys that have garage kept xfires probably won't find much in there but if your car is kept outside I would check it at least once a year especially if your car is around trees. One xfire mod finds two answers to questions on the forum.
I posted that after I installed my new alarm siren in the "Audio, Video and Electronics" Forum under the Factory Alarm Chirp! Solved! Read!!! I'm glad that my little discovery has helped someone.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:25 PM

How hard is it to take off the cowl cover in order to vacuum the leaves out?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by calxfire
How hard is it to take off the cowl cover in order to vacuum the leaves out?
Not tough. remove both wipers and like 6 screws and that is it.

Got it removed and not really anything blocking the drain holes. However, the blower motor is wide open. Shouldn't there be something there to block the inflow of rain water??

My car was not moving and took in a large amount of water. My best estimate at this point is almost a gallon of water sucked off the floor of my car!

It is very clear at this point that the blower motor is the point of entry for the water.

Any Ideas?

Last edited by OSUfan76; 08-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM

Once Again!!!!!

Heavy rains last night and I wake up with 2 inches of water in my passanger floorboard!!!! I am at a loss as to what could correct the problem.......

Old 12-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Default Re: Rain Leak / Passenger Side

I am experiencing the same problem, I removed the cowl, and removed all the leaves. Went to the car wash...........payed close attention to the area under my dash on the passenger side, and watched helplessly as water still leaked through!!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE does anyone know what can be done?!!?!?
Thanks!!!

I'm currently window shopping other vehicles, looking hard at the Nissan Z.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Most of the time rain gets in a car it is thru a leak in the seal of the windshield or other glass areas.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY

Did I read correctly? We have heated windshield wiper nozzles on our Crossfire? My 08 included?? Thanks!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

This was really great feedback. I'll have to check out my 07 which sits outside but is normally covered with a car cover.

Later,

Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by OSUfan76

Thanks,
Chris
Hey osufan I also live in OKC and today has been one of those crazy rainy days. Did any of the solutions offered here work? My car just started leaking today and I've had it for a couple of months now with no problems of leaking it just started today. I think there might be debree stuck in there so I'm going to check later today.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by spikehound
Hey osufan I also live in OKC and today has been one of those crazy rainy days. Did any of the solutions offered here work? My car just started leaking today and I've had it for a couple of months now with no problems of leaking it just started today. I think there might be debree stuck in there so I'm going to check later today.
Check the post date.
He has not posted for a year, sold car it seems.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Check the post date.
He has not posted for a year, sold car it seems.
lol yeah I noticed, oh well worth a try.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by spikehound
lol yeah I noticed, oh well worth a try.
It appears that the drains gets plugged up and the water level rises and exits through the air inlet for the heating and a/c system.
There is a drain in the plenum for the cooling coil and that too can get plugged up as well.
This can damage the amplifier when it fills the passenger side well.

Last edited by onehundred80; 06-18-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
It appears that the drains gets plugged up and the water level rises and exits through the air inlet for the heating and a/c system.
This can damage the amplifier when it fills the passenger side well.
Thats pretty much what happened. I was going to check the drain but I don't have to tool to get off the wiper arms so I could take the cowl off. I'm going to try to get one this weekend and work on it. What is the amplifier?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make sure the water is not coming in from around the window first before you start pulling crap off your car. I had a small leak near the black triangle. Turns out the window just needed a simple adjustment (a common problem on our cars). After a couple adjustments at the dealer it stopped leaking. The passengar side window was not making good contact with the rubber strip.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Make sure the water is not coming in from around the window first before you start pulling crap off your car. I had a small leak near the black triangle. Turns out the window just needed a simple adjustment (a common problem on our cars). After a couple adjustments at the dealer it stopped leaking. The passengar side window was not making good contact with the rubber strip.
It's definitely not coming from the window because it is leaking from under the dash on the passenger side. Thanks for that bit of info though.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Forum Regular

I had this problem awhile back. It comes from the air inlet. Look at pictures. It looks like there should be some kind of cover but there wasn't one. So I made one and it solved my water leak problem. And yes that's black duct tape. Duct tape fixes all.

Last edited by rekcah; 06-21-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Rain Leak / Passenger Side