Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

tire rotation??

Old 08-20-2004, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire rotation??

i just took #5214 in for a 15,000mile oil change and was advised by chrysler dealer service rep that they dont rotate tires on the crossfire (i have the michelin pilot sports)...claim that their crossfire tech training instructed them to NOT rotate side to side...seemed odd to me but was wondering if anyone else had any info on this..there is a little credibility gap w/ my dealer so i'm prone to question most of what they tell me if it doesnt sound like common sense...

Old 08-20-2004, 08:20 PM
Default tire rotation

I think i read that a Michelin rep stated the same thing.
Do not rotate these tires.

It is in one of the other threads.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just some added info... this topic has been discussed at some lenght in the Tech forum. Some are for rotating the tires others are against.

If you check the owners manual on page 233, under Maintenance Schedule "B"... it says, "rotate tires". If you go to page 147, the manual talks about tire rotation, mainly for the "all season" tires.

I would only presume if you went in and asked your dealer to perform a "complete" schedule "B" service, the price would include the tire rotation.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:42 AM

Rotating tires from left to right and not front to back is a waste. Do you make more left or right turns? joke there is not a reason to even estimate...LOL

There is more wear on the front, no question. But due to the width of the tires they should wear evenly.

Regards

Old 08-21-2004, 12:13 PM

Rotating tires from left to right and not front to back is a waste. Do you make more left or right turns? joke there is not a reason to even estimate...LOL

There is more wear on the front, no question. But due to the width of the tires they should wear evenly.

Regards

Old 08-21-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sandman

Regards
Actually, yes, many of us DO make a lot more of one direction turn than another. I drove a LOT of on/off ramps, here at least they ALL are right hand turns. Enjoying the handling of my Crossfire, I often take those ramps at a decent clip, loving the way this car sticks to the road in a turn! Rotating side to side as recommended by the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual >will< benefit the life of my tires.

As for the post quoting a Michelin rep as saying do not rotate the PS/2's, well, we have a post from a Daimler/Chrysler rep saying the rear spoiler in the up position helps cool the oil. :!: So, whatcha wanta believe???

Use the Search tool in the Tech section. There are a dozen or more threads about tire rotation. ALL of the tires D/C puts on the Crossfire can be rotated side to side.

And while we're on the subject, don't let anyone tell you any of the stock tires are unidirectional and have to be re-mounted on the rims to do the rotation. Neither Michelin nor Continental list any of the stock tires as unidirectional, and if you LOOK at the tread pattern you will see they are not (uni-directional tires are ALWAYS marked with a rotation direction arrow on the sidewall, and ALMOST ALWAYS have some variation of a 'V' tread pattern). Just dismount, roll 'em to the opposite side, and remount.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 AM

Rotating does help. My tires started chopping on the front so I rotated side to side BEFORE it got too bad, and cleaned the tires up nice. The tires are not directional. It is highly recomended to extend the life of your tires.