Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

I tore my cupholder out last night and....

Old 08-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I tore my cupholder out last night and....

I tore my cupholder out last night and it felt so good!

For those of you who remember, I'm the guy always bitching about this POS cupholder. Im 6'3 and broad shouldered, so my elbow was always coming down on the cupholder and popping it open.

In a half hour drive, it would normally do this 5-10 times, and I became an expert at hitting it back using my elbow, without even thinking about it.

Eventually last night I got so pissed, I just grabbed it and tore it the hell out. It was so satisfying! I can't believe how much more I like the Crossfire now that I got rid of this thing.. haha...

Anyway, now theres no cupholder, just an empty spot to put change or whatever... You won't lose anything you put in there.

This is a mod I recommend to everyone who hates the cupholder!

Rip it the hell out!

Old 08-25-2004, 11:49 AM

Is it still in one piece?

Old 08-25-2004, 02:06 PM
Forum Regular

Umm mainly, but something broke, because it didn't come out that easy, and there were a few small broken pieces.. I doubt I could ever reinstall it. For now I'll leave it as it is... but I'll eventually order the piece from the '05 no extras base coupe... it is exactly the same but with no cupholder or anything.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me in as one that hates that stupid POS cup holder. Once ripped out by roots, what does the inside of the hole look like? Is it sleeved or anything? Got a picture? I had envisioned being able to look into what would be essentially a bottomless hole with no sides to it.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:32 PM

I've got the '05 base model. I miss not having a cup holder, but I did notice that the limited's have their positioned in a very awkward spot.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Forum Regular

TSaxMan, consider yourself lucky. If you need a cupholder, you can buy a cool looking silver and black one at Pepboys and then bolt it on the passenger side of the console like someone here did.. There was a post somewhere...

And Al, like you, I thought it would essentially be bottomless and have no sides.. but yes, the hole is sleeved, so now it really looks just like an extra change holder or something. You can put stuff in there and get it out easily... the front of the hole is actually curved nicely, so even change is easy to slide up and out. It also makes a better cell phone holder than the drawer in front of the shifter...

I'll try taking some pictures later, but all I have is a camera phone, so it's not that detailed, but it should be good enough. I'm really serious when I say I like the Crossfire a lot more now.. I'm taking it on a 7-8 hour drive this coming weekend, and I wasn't about to put up with the cupholder popping open literally 100 times.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:31 PM

Never use the cup holder....sealed it with a small drop of hot glue to keep from poping up.
Cup holder the only thing I did'nt like about the car
then there NO eating or smoking in the car will let a few drink in there on long trips.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 PM

I don't really need a cup holder. I was just a little put off by it not being there. $30k car - no cup holder or floor mats. The center console is smooth and flows really well and then you come to a black hole in the plastic. I guess if they really wanted to save the $2 it cost to produce that cup holder then they could have at least provided a plastic cover or lid of some sort for that hole.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by TSaxMan113
I don't really need a cup holder. I was just a little put off by it not being there. $30k car - no cup holder or floor mats. The center console is smooth and flows really well and then you come to a black hole in the plastic. I guess if they really wanted to save the $2 it cost to produce that cup holder then they could have at least provided a plastic cover or lid of some sort for that hole.
Be glad they didn't put the ugly-*** disfunctional cupholder that came on the SLK320! It's one of those pop-out spring-ear things, mounted above the two center AC vents, so condensation (and spills) can drip nicely down the front of your console.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

NJSpeed69-
Can you come up with a "Deactivation of the Crappy Cup Holder" disassembly guide?

I got to get rid of mine because it no longer latches closed...and I have NEVER used it. I was just open one day to never close again.

Since you can see what is looks like in there w/o the contraption in the way, can you avise us how to take ours out? I do not want dealer goons trying to fix mine! :shock:

Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM

Congrats on the amputation of your cupholder. I'll be curious to see what's underneath if you get those photos uploaded.

Honestly, I think the cupholder does a great job of holding standard pop/soda cans and 12 oz. bottles. I mostly drink soft drinks, so it works well for me. I would be nice if there was somewhere for my son to put his, though.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Forum Regular

Here you go

If you go to my gallery, its blown up and you can see a little more detail.

TSaxMan, your saying that this is exactly what your car has? That kind of sucks, I figured on the base coupe, there would be no hole at all.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
TSaxMan, your saying that this is exactly what your car has? That kind of sucks, I figured on the base coupe, there would be no hole at all.
Mine looks like an extra change tray or compartment of some sort. I'll see if I can grab a picture or two when I go out for lunch. I'll have to use my phone, though, because my digital camera isn't at work with me.