Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Engine mods?????? Here's what I have found.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mods?????? Here's what I have found.

I am just wondering how these mods have worked in your crossfire.
I would like to get Air intakes to add 15-20 HP, Air filters to add 8 HP, A computer chip to add 25-50+ HP, Spiral Max air twister to add 10-35 HP. And maybe even change the headers and camshaft to add HP and gas mileage.

With all the mods except the headers and camshaft I can get the car to about 300+ HP I think and only spend about $450 in parts. Then if I want even more I can opt for the more expensive headers and camshaft. Which I dont think I will need. But I would like to get 300 HP in my crossfire. Anyone tried any of these mods. Just wondering what kind of change you get from the crossfire adding these mods. Thanks agian for your time and help.

Thomas

Old 11-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine mods?????? Here's what I have found.

Good Luck !You might get 5-10 out of all those together.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ThomasGraybeal
Spiral Max air twister to add 10-35 HP
Scam

Old 11-24-2004, 10:34 PM

The SpiralMax is a huge scam. The idea behind it is that it will cause a swirl in the intake charge to mix better with the fuel and create a better burn. Any spiral induced by the device is negated by every part of the intake system after the throttle body, so this makes the SpiralMax little more than a restriction in the air system.

There are no mass produced, affordable air intake systems out yet. I think RENNTech has one, but it's really expensive. Your best bet right now would be to get two K&N drop-in filters. You might see a gain of 6whp or so.

The chip tuning will only get you so far - definitely not an additional 50hp. You'll see claims upwards of 25whp, but those numbers are always inflated. The number advertised is always going to be the highest number produced after several dyno runs under a regulated atmosphere. Read: not daily driving.

The cam shaft is good. You don't really need to start messing with that. In fact, the whole valve train seems to be fairly decent. The 3-valve design really helps to facilitate airflow and the grind on the cam is about as aggressive as you'd want for non-FI use.

Headers - I don't know of any aftermarket headers. I don't even know if the AMG headers are much different than ours. If you find out, let me know.

If it's more power you're after, try this: Get the K&N drop-in filters. Get the Upsolute chip and have that installed. Then find a reputable exhaust shop and have them build you a quality cat-back system and get that stock muffler off there. It's kind of restrictive. Or you could swing for the Borla, but it would probably cost you twice as much as a custom job.

If you end up with 225whp after performing the aforementioned mods, you'll be in good shape. I think that number still might be a bit optimistic, though.

Old 11-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Banned

Chip 15-18 hp,intake is about 5-7 hp,exhaust maybe 3-5hp cost total about $1500 -$2000 depending on your location.And exhaust .Total 25-27 hp increase.

Old 11-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Question Re: Engine mods?????? Here's what I have found.

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Chip 15-18 hp,intake is about 5-7 hp,exhaust maybe 3-5hp cost total about $1500 -$2000 depending on your location.And exhaust .Total 25-27 hp increase.

From what I've learned on this forum the sequence of changes should be as follows:

Intake and Exhaust mods first in either order but definitely before the chip mod.
My take is that you should be comfortable with the chipmaker or programmer that reprogramming chip will have expected performance gains even after the other two mods have been done.
It is my understanding that the standard chip mod is usually based on factory specs and may have little or no effect if other aftermarket mods are done. Right??????

Last edited by mbepic; 11-25-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Banned

Redcross has Chipped and Borla exhaust K&N air filters .His gain total is about 25hp.-30hp max.

Old 11-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i wish life was as easy as....adding every conceivable aftermarket performance mod together for big horsepower gains as quoted.

Old 11-25-2004, 09:09 PM

Andrew, life is only as easy as you make it. It may seem that "mods" are the most important thing in our life but really it's not. If you can't talk about it, how the heck are we ever going to be able to get around to doing it. You know, for us guys, sometimes it's the talking about it that's fun.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Andrew, life is only as easy as you make it...true

the forum is here for all of us to talk about our passion....the crossfire. this is why i visit daily.

but let it be know...multiple mods joined together don't equal the additional of all. one should not be mislead by aftermarket tuners. point is...i am an advocate of mods. my gallery proves this.

cheers!

Old 11-26-2004, 04:33 AM

Just remember using mods that compliment each is important. Some mods will make more power individually when coupled with another. Like exhaust and intake. If exhaust gives you X hp and Intake Y hp together they should produce more than just x+y.

And the engine is not the only place to gain some Hp. Some of the 3.8V6 fbody guys see swap out the torque converter to lower some of the drive loss, and get some redistribution of the torque at the wheels.
I'm not sure what gears the crossfire comes with stock. But sometimes its with the less gas mpg for a more aggressive rear gear. Not to mention lighter drive components, flywheel, driveshaft. Also you might be able to find some aftermarket wheels that look nicer and weigh less. Lighter wheel will defiantly give you a faster ride. Some of those things might not be crossfire specific and could be found as a Merc mod.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're absolutely right there Pewterbird because if we can replace our rims with 12 pounders instead of 25 lb.(front) and 29 lb.(rear) it could make a big difference.